Millwright- starting out/ apprenticeship

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So our 18 year son has decided to try Millwright work. Has one resume in at a place in Edmonton that he says does apprentice new people. What would be the best way for a guy his age to get started? He has been working for the past 2 years at Fountain Tire in St. Albert, very hands on, very hard worker, done some mechanical, 3 semesters of welding in high school. Never misses a day and is never late. Doesn't mind overtime, gets a lot in the winter/summer tire switch time.

Anyway, any positive info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was him I would go to any gas compression company, Gas Drive, Bidell, NGC etc, they are always looking for young guys to apprentice

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So our 18 year son has decided to try Millwright work. Has one resume in at a place in Edmonton that he says does apprentice new people. What would be the best way for a guy his age to get started? He has been working for the past 2 years at Fountain Tire in St. Albert, very hands on, very hard worker, done some mechanical, 3 semesters of welding in high school. Never misses a day and is never late. Doesn't mind overtime, gets a lot in the winter/summer tire switch time.

Anyway, any positive info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

As said find a company that does that kind of work and look there, the hardest part will be getting an interview so a good looking resume is a must, and hand deliver the resume as it may get him an interview on the spot, the key is that he is able to be confident of his work ethic and skills and able to proudly display them to a company, as well as show a strong desire to learn more. A good company will see the value in a young person that is eager to learn as they can mould them into the type of employee that will be an asset to them, if they don't see this then it's probably not a good company for him, but at the same time anyplace he can still get a little experience out of is a good thing.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
there is also the Millwrights Union Local 1340, they may or may not be able to get him a start.

There is a sign on the South side of the yellowhead between 170 & 156 street of I think its Canadian Bread looking for Millwrights they might be able to help out as well.

I know FINNING just hired 4 new journeyman the last few weeks so the market is out there.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Finning hires millwrights ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For the gas compressors and for Drills & Shovels yup. My buddy starts on Tuesday at Edmonton Drills & Shovels (formerly Bucyrus) watch the website for further positions. I know there were 4 posted when he applied!

Top Bottom