Migraines when it snows

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH!!! I freakin love snow so much it's crazy... but every time it's going to begin to snow I get a Migraine, same with my daughter Tatum.

Anyone else? I have tried many remedies such as essential oils, vitamins, ibuprofen. Sometimes I can stave off the migraine, but if I'm stressed even a little bit, it'll be game on for excrutiating pain.

What are your tricks to stave off this horrible Joy sucking condition?

Thank you Muchly

Momma :)

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH!!! I freakin love snow so much it's crazy... but every time it's going to begin to snow I get a Migraine, same with my daughter Tatum.

Anyone else? I have tried many remedies such as essential oils, vitamins, ibuprofen. Sometimes I can stave off the migraine, but if I'm stressed even a little bit, it'll be game on for excrutiating pain.

Thank you Muchly

Sorry to hear of your affliction. Living where you do you must have a lot of migraines then. Maybe that is what causes them, the barometric pressure in that little valley must be different than out in the open. Can't offer any solutions though, sorry.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to suffer from them but that was 10 years ago......thank God! I have learnt to sense them before they come on and immediately take 3 advil (nothing else worked). Gradually I got less and less of them to the point 10 years free. Good luck....they suck!!! Worst thing to live life thru.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank you Muchly

I read somewhere that it has to do with the low barometric pressure associated with snow storms. Heard that the same thing happens to people when a Chinook rolled into town. Maybe you need to get your ears checked? Blocked eustachian tubes?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your affliction. Living where you do you must have a lot of migraines then. Maybe that is what causes them, the barometric pressure in that little valley must be different than out in the open. Can't offer any solutions though, sorry.

Yup barometric pressure shift... It's nuts!! But then it wears off and I have snow.. so it's all good. lol.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that it has to do with the low barometric pressure associated with snow storms. Heard that the same thing happens to people when a Chinook rolled into town. Maybe you need to get your ears checked? Blocked eustachian tubes?

That would make sense.. My husband says I don't listen to him.. :p I'll look into that too.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I had a month of migraines this summer. I go to the chiropractor regularily which helps. I finally had to go on a prophylactic that I take everyday to help ward them off before they start. When they do start my pain kills work even better. Except today nothing is freakin working and I just want to cut off the left side of my head.

Jan

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to a massage place it may have something to do with your soft tissue ....they are the only people that help me

snowhound63

Reaction score
Ive had them forever too. I can tell when a low pressure system is coming in,feels like someone is trying push my right eye out from behind. I tried pretty much everything out there and ended up going to a drug called Imatrex works like crazy if you take it when you first feel one coming on.The only way it sucks is if it starts in the night and I wake up with one and Im too sick to keep one down, then the wife loads me in the car and we go for a shot of demeral (sp) at the hospt.
I feel for any one that has to suffer with them for sure.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

lol... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'd lose my mind if there was no snow. My friend has a winter home in AZ. We keep in touch, she's gardening and roping in outdoor arenas while I'm out shredding.

Maybe one day I'll outgrow them. I tried Imatrex, it kind of worked.

Does anyone know why a more narrow valley, would effect migraines? How does it manipulate the barometric pressure? Is there any correlation with altitude and migraines?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'd lose my mind if there was no snow. My friend has a winter home in AZ. We keep in touch, she's gardening and roping in outdoor arenas while I'm out shredding.

Maybe one day I'll outgrow them. I tried Imatrex, it kind of worked.

Does anyone know why a more narrow valley, would effect migraines? How does it manipulate the barometric pressure? Is there any correlation with altitude and migraines?

I have had migraines since Grade 2 - I used to think I had a brain tumor because no one else my age suffered so badly. I get the whole meal deal: auras, nausea, impaired hearing, numb fingers and face and a headache that lasted 3 days and left me feeling like a stroke victim for a week after. In high school the doc put me on Imitrex and I DID have a stroke, so now I can only take Advil and Tylenol. I have tried every remedy under the sun and no herb has ever helped :(

The causes of true migraines are varied and mostly unknown. It is believed that certain factors trigger rapid vasodilation or vasoconstriction in the brain and cause the headache and associated symptoms. For some people the trigger is barometric pressure changes and for others it is hormones, stress, muscle/back problems, diet, etc etc etc., OR a combination of two or more of these things...

There is also a theory out there that some people with migraines have an undiagnosed and intermittent PDA- patent ductus arteriosis in their heart. When they become fluid overloaded the PDA becomes symptomatic and creates a "backlog" of blood to the brain by preventing efficient forward pumping of blood from the heart. It's complicated... And to my geek-self, it is Uber-Interesting :)

For me, large shifts in fluid volume in my body almost always guarantee a migraine. If I am dehydrated and drink too much fluid too quickly, I almost always have migraine the next day... Hangovers always bring me a migraine within 2 days as I rehydrated after drinking too much alcohol. When my body doubled it's fluid capacity during pregnancy I had a migraine nearly every day...

Things that work for me when I know a migraine is coming:

-take 2 Tylenol and 2 Advil and 1 caffeine pill before the aura fades and the headache starts. If I get meds before the headache starts, then it makes the pain less intense. But if I don't, the meds barely touch my headache. For sure they aren't a cure, but they help.

- ice to the temples, brow bone and back of neck when it is really bad

- I once had a migraine aura begin when I was teaching an aerobics class: suddenly my face was numb and everything sounded far away and I could only see out of one eye. I knew I needed meds, but I couldn't stop the class, so I kept going. The weirdest thing happened- the aura faded in the usual amount of time, but the migraine never really started... I had a slight dull headache and felt a little sick and that was all.

I tested the theory the next time I felt a migraine coming on: took my meds and went for a 15 minute jog. Again... No headache came!! I can only theorize that the vigorous activity shunts blood away from my brain and to my extremities, preventing the vasodilation that causes the pain??? To this day it works for me... Sometimes it works better than other times, but certainly it helps prevent the usual intensity of my migraines?!?

I dunno Trish- these things may or may not help you, but it is worth a try... Trust me- I feel your pain!! Get well soon and enjoy the snow that's a-coming :). <3

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had migraines since Grade 2 - I used to think I had a brain tumor because no one else my age suffered so badly. I get the whole meal deal: auras, nausea, impaired hearing, numb fingers and face and a headache that lasted 3 days and left me feeling like a stroke victim for a week after. In high school the doc put me on Imitrex and I DID have a stroke, so now I can only take Advil and Tylenol. I have tried every remedy under the sun and no herb has ever helped :( .

I used to get all that except the headache when I did shrooms in University. (I don't believe I had a stroke).
I guess that is no help to you here though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom