Mid range sputter on tral

foghorn

Reaction score
I have a 2016 T3 174 and going up trail at Revy it kind of sputters and hesitates at mid range when you hammer on throttle .Once im up top it never misses a beat. Had a Mbrp can on it and now I have TSS tunnel dump ad no difference. Anyone have or cured this issue
Thanx Bob

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 T3 174 and going up trail at Revy it kind of sputters and hesitates at mid range when you hammer on throttle .Once im up top it never misses a beat. Had a Mbrp can on it and now I have TSS tunnel dump ad no difference. Anyone have or cured this issue
Thanx Bob
We had a couple new etec in our group with that problem this year 700 - 1000m.

Never did figure out what was causing this.
One a GBB mountain can from new.
The other one was stock.

Was oddly warm last year.....

Wasn't a huge deal.......

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had similar symptoms on an 800 etec. Tuned out be cracked reeds. Worth a look to at least eliminate a possibility

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet ya clicker down to 1 for trail up and down and it's gone

Mine does it too if I'm lazy and don't clicker to 1, Carl told me to do it and fixed it

Problem is if u keep riding this way and it flutters like it does, that's what takes the reeds out

Think it's 4000 ish feet where the map changes, and over reving or reving too fast causes this

sent while drinking tea's

foghorn

Reaction score
Thanx that gives me a couple things to try I had linderman do a port job on it late in season so i assume he would have checked reeds. Actually think it was worse after the porting.Wasnt really concerned about it as it works good once up top.Just kind of annoying

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lower elevation does not like a higher clicker, the higher the click the quicker the motor builds rpm, build rpm to quick and the ecm will tell it to back off. Even easier solution, don't hammer the throttle when going up the trail. :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanx that gives me a couple things to try I had linderman do a port job on it late in season so i assume he would have checked reeds. Actually think it was worse after the porting.Wasnt really concerned about it as it works good once up top.Just kind of annoying

Now the rest of the story comes out.
Porting these new motors is like rolling the dice and most of the time you end up with trouble. I've ported alot of sled motors over the years. And that is the key here "over the years", i no longer doit. These new motors don't take kindly to porting. The manufacture have port tuning so perfected that porting and playing with porting does nothing but cause performance issues.

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Etec porting is proven effective, so don't think that's the problem..

Like the guys says likely just over-rev at lower elevations and the porting makes it worse due to more power. I just don't punch it going up the trail and there's no need to play with your clickers.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooo, production castings are so good that a skilled porter can't make it better? Good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foghorn

Reaction score
So LUND the motor is way stronger now than before. Also if you read alittle closer you would see it was doing that before the porting.The only time it ever does anything but make power is on trail at mid throttle.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the etec you have to load the engine with clicker adjustment ,pin weight or primary spring.
With the porting I would guess you may need to lower your primary spring final or bump pin weight a touch.
Load the bugger up till it won't pull any more and then fine tune from that.
They don't like to be clutched to light .
At least my findings.

foghorn

Reaction score
Ok cool I will add some weight to it Didn't add any after porting. Brent said to try it like it was and said I would maybe need some weight I have DJ kit so will be easy to add
Thanx for all the help guys

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to keep adding until it won't pull it then back up a bit from that.
They will pull required rpm at said pin weight and you can still add a bit more , and still same rpm .

Top Bottom