mid range bog

maelstrom57

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a '09 M1000 153" SP. With our lack of snow so far this year I've only used it last weekend for the first time. Put around 400 k's on her and love it so far. It's going to be a big learning curve coming off the RX1 Mtn. The unit has a mid range bog , around 6200 RPM's, so I guess I'm going to have to educate myself concerning how to get rid of this concern. It seems to happen when slowly accelerating from a modest cruising speed. I haven't noticed it from a hard pull from a start as you are usually too busy just hanging on. lol Also just confirmed that it looks like it's still setup for 6000' to 9000' and we run at least than 3000' here in nfld. Would this contribute to the bog and also wondering if, after having the clutched setup properly, does the machine require the ECU flashed.

maelstrom57

Reaction score
Yes, I plan on doing some mild improvements. Pipe, y-pipe, can, possible intake improvements, clutching, and maybe even fuel controller. A little skeptical as I'm not much of a wrench but I'm sure I can learn the basics. Still, I want reliability and would rather be riding than frigging around trying to make the machine run perfectly. All the same, this bog is a pain as I can't run a constant 50 mph as soon as I hit the required rpm, the bog happens and I basically can't accelerate smoothly from there. I need to hammer the throttle 3 to 5 times and then look out when she clears..

srxdude

Reaction score
Had the same bog. I put on D&D full ceramic exhaust with fuel controler. Also changed out the reeds to boyesen rage cage and D&D fire breather air intake. Added an egt gauge and air fuel ratio gauge to keep track of this wild thing besides checking the plugs. It runs sweet and has no bog at all anymore and that was in 10 to 15 below cecius temps. It will pull 88mph top speed on my gps in 6 to 8 inches of powder.:d:d:d:d

CRFSummit

Reaction score
I've been dealing with the midrange bog issue as well on my 09. first tried replacing my can with the stock muffler. Bog was not as noticeable(because of the quieter sound)but was still there. Switched ecus with a buddies machine and mine ran noticeably better. My ecu was sent away to be reflashed, as the dealer mentioned some ecus did not "take" the programming properly. Got my ecu back yesterday and put it back on and took er for rip. BIG difference, no midrange bog what so ever. The bottom still has a small bog, which i beleive is just fuel loading up if you're just puttin around. A couple quick blips of the throttle and shes clean. i was told that should go away once I get more miles on it. So far have 250 miles. I see no need to put a bunch of mods on a machime to make it run like it should to begin with!!
it has more than enough power for me as is, but would just like to get the slight blubber gone..was told too that reeds will make a big difference in that department.May try that in the futur, but right now putting miles on it to break it in is the priority.
Talk to your dealer about the reflash.Good Luck

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason i asked about if you are planning on doing mods is because then you will have to put a boonmdocker control box on and then there would be no need to get your computer reflashed as all they do is change the fuel mapping. Which you can do with a boondocker box. I have an '08 M1000 with full exhaust and some intake stuff done and the comp has never been reflashed and it flat out rips..

Marvin SK

Reaction score
Other than the normal load up of fuel and oil....check your Spider rollers and primary weights. I have seen lots with a worn/seized roller that chews a weight and causes this bog. Wont happen from stand still as it skips over this low spot in weight. good luck

maelstrom57

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. Leaving next week for a 4 day trip so I'll see how she runs. Going to pay a lot more attention to the bog issue and pin down some rpm ranges. Wondering what her max rpm is but I have to be careful as the unit still has the factory setup 3000' to 6000' and we only run <3000' here in Newfoundland. Not sure what I should do about the clutching as I don't want to go to the trouble of changing helix, weights and primary spring as per Cat's recommendation, and then change everything once the mods are started.

Bails

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. Leaving next week for a 4 day trip so I'll see how she runs. Going to pay a lot more attention to the bog issue and pin down some rpm ranges. Wondering what her max rpm is but I have to be careful as the unit still has the factory setup 3000' to 6000' and we only run <3000' here in Newfoundland. Not sure what I should do about the clutching as I don't want to go to the trouble of changing helix, weights and primary spring as per Cat's recommendation, and then change everything once the mods are started.

If you wanna try something that is cheap and should be done anyways, just change your weights to proper elevation. The helix and spring shouldn't need to be changed. It should say the recommendations on your air box for weights and springs. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the factory spring is good for all elevations.

Top Bottom