Mesh hood

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not as strong and durable as stock but still very strong and much easier to fix. Diamond S hoods are good hoods IMO.

Nothing is as durable as a stock hood, for the simple fact that you don't have a one piece structure for the rigid frame and covering. But mesh hoods are way lighter and way easier to fix.

tabneil is correct, a mesh hood is only cheaper if you don't factor in your time to build it, if you do, it probably costs you more than buying one...:D

yes, but building it is half the fun and bragging rights. 2 beers and a good kick and you can ussually fix/straighten you mesh hood right on the hill after a good wreck:d:d

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to built a mesh hood for my 97 summit and just wanted to ask you about the mesh!! I have an old trampoline that has a big hole in it (a fat a$$ed friend fell through it LOL) would that work for the mesh?? Dad said its fine enough that powder snow wont go through it! (but just wanted to know what you guys think)

TG:beer:

bones01

Reaction score
post a pic of that summit after your done. thinking of doing the wifes sled this spring (she has heat issues).

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to built a mesh hood for my 97 summit and just wanted to ask you about the mesh!! I have an old trampoline that has a big hole in it (a fat a$$ed friend fell through it LOL) would that work for the mesh?? Dad said its fine enough that powder snow wont go through it! (but just wanted to know what you guys think)

TG:beer:

I guess you could try anything, but the mesh is usually a metal and then you fasten a cloth or old trampoline ( I guess) over it to keep the powder out and causing grief in the engine and clutches

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess you could try anything, but the mesh is usually a metal and then you fasten a cloth or old trampoline ( I guess) over it to keep the powder out and causing grief in the engine and clutches

Ok so what do i use for the mesh then????:confused::confused:

TG:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so what do i use for the mesh then????:confused::confused:

TG:d

Stretchy nylon/poly blend. Don't get it too close to the pipes or it will melt. Available at any Fabricland/fabric store. You can use door screen but its too coarse. Or you can use the Textaline mesh as I stated before.

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
This is bringing an old thread back but i was wondering what is better 1/4" solid round bar or 3/8" tubing?

1/4" is cheaper, wont kink, and you could probably bend back to its normal form if bent, but would probably be flimzy

3/8" is more expensive, it will kink if bent wrong or crashed, wont be flimzy

I can make a mesh hood out of either material which one is better?, im thinking the 3/8 since it would probably be structurally stronger even though it could the tubing can kink

thanks alot

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is bringing an old thread back but i was wondering what is better 1/4" solid round bar or 3/8" tubing?

1/4" is cheaper, wont kink, and you could probably bend back to its normal form if bent, but would probably be flimzy

3/8" is more expensive, it will kink if bent wrong or crashed, wont be flimzy

I can make a mesh hood out of either material which one is better?, im thinking the 3/8 since it would probably be structurally stronger even though it could the tubing can kink

thanks alot

Just use the round bar IMO. Its easier to work with and way easier to bend. Mine are from solid round stock - been there on the tubing end of things, takes a long time to bend the tubing if you don't use some heat, otherwise it will just kink up. I have a tubing bender and it still took a long time with heat. Solid round is nice because you just heat and bend it (or just bend it without heat). 1/4" is not flimsy, a lot of the strength comes from the design, but they are so easy to re-straighten that it doesn't really matter. If you are really that worried about the strength, then add some cross members with 3/8" solid bar to hold things together, but make the most of it out of 1/4", it will be light and strong. The 3/8" tubing is just as weak as the 1/4" solid round bar. If you roll your sled or crash into trees a lot, a mesh hood is going to bend, whether you make it out of 3/8" tubing or 1/4" solid. Welding tubing is also a pain in the butt, the solid is much nicer to work with (if you are welding it).

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom