McBride closures

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the caribou closures around McBride open in the spring?:confused:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There actually isn't alot of area's that used to get rode that are closed now. But they don't open in the spring. If people will respect the closures for a year or two they may be able to get re-looked at for possible re-opening under a special management agreement or opening at certain times of the year.

driller

Reaction score
Just curious why the area's are not opened up in the spring in the McBride and Prince George area's as we have way less traffic around here compared to Revy and their area's are opened up april 15th. It's not like we are making it so much easier for the wolves at this point in the season and even in the past if we seen or thought we were near the caribou we would go find a different area to ride giving them their space just like the heli skiers do. Spring is such a great time to ride and explore the different views that can be seen in the rockies. Rules for spring riding should be equal for north and south and not based special privileges for different area's

bogey

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the reason Carbon closures open in April was the animals move to there summer feeding areas at lower altitude. Apparently the biologist must think they are different in Mcbride. Its just another example of how much thought it would appear has been put into the closures.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the trail you need to take to get to the areas. And also what one heard does in one area isn't necessarily the same in another area. The area I work in is a huge caribou management area and I see the caribou come and go and every year they travel thru the same areas and at the same time they are seen in areas where you'd never expect to see a heard at all. It's interesting what a person sees when you fly an area every day in a helicopter. I'm not defending fins and feathers but they have reasons and data that back up alot of there decisions.

Just an example we were told by forestry and fins and feathers the entire herd of wild buffalo up here was extinct. Then last summer a herd of 188 with 46 calves showed up here in our plant site. We couldn't land cause there were a few on our landing pad! Nobody has a clue where they came from. Personally I think they were here all along just not where we could see them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom