Mcbride Area Grooming Questions

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as suggested in the Snow conditions thread, here is a grooming thread. Please do not turn this into a a Whiney- "the trail was bumpy and I paid $20" thread

I wanted to ask the question of why the trails would only be kept at the 10' width of the drag? In the areas that allow a wider trail why not cut out another 2-3 ft on each side? Your burning fuel no matter if going up or down. Does this not make sense? Anything that can be done to take pressure off the middle section of the trail will only help. I just do not understand why you would Groom the same section coming down as was done going up.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as suggested in the Snow conditions thread, here is a grooming thread. Please do not turn this into a a Whiney- "the trail was bumpy and I paid $20" thread

I wanted to ask the question of why the trails would only be kept at the 10' width of the drag? In the areas that allow a wider trail why not cut out another 2-3 ft on each side? Your burning fuel no matter if going up or down. Does this not make sense? Anything that can be done to take pressure off the middle section of the trail will only help. I just do not understand why you would Groom the same section coming down as was done going up.
I don't know where else you ride but I have been on trails that are wider than 10 feet and everybody still uses the same path, so 2 more feet will not make any diff. at the width they are now riders could safley stay to the right up and have a smooth right side on the way down but that doesn't happen. also if we were to widen by 2-3 feet there will be a ridge left somewhere on the trail to account for the overlap and if that freezes that would create havic for riders when they hit it.
and just so you know, we will take any advice that is resonable and look at it but you have to know that we have been at this for along time and try not to let anything slip past that might enhance the riders experience. Barry

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know where else you ride but I have been on trails that are wider than 10 feet and everybody still uses the same path, so 2 more feet will not make any diff. at the width they are now riders could safley stay to the right up and have a smooth right side on the way down but that doesn't happen. also if we were to widen by 2-3 feet there will be a ridge left somewhere on the trail to account for the overlap and if that freezes that would create havic for riders when they hit it.
and just so you know, we will take any advice that is resonable and look at it but you have to know that we have been at this for along time and try not to let anything slip past that might enhance the riders experience. Barry

Thanks for the reply Barry, as I initailly said it was a question I wanted to ask, and your explanation is appreiciated. This was not a critisism or complaint, but a question.

Mr. 007, not sure where you think you get off calling me an Azzhat, but I can assure you that I am the furthest thing from that. :nono:

Last edited:

bogey

Reaction score
Just wondering if the Renshaw will be groomed tonight. Rode Lucille today and the wet snow was frozen pretty crusty at the bottom so Iam hoping is cold enough that the trail will freeze overnight.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The current width of the trail is good enough for 3 lanes. I find on the way down that if I stick to the outside lane it makes for a smooth ride. Sinse everyone seems to take the inside lane all the time.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
All three trails are being groomed tonight (Thursday). Barry and Rod W. just got back from grooming Belle and they said there's alot of new snow up there and still snowing. Should hopefully have reports on Lucille and Renshaw tomorrow.

Just wondering if the Renshaw will be groomed tonight. Rode Lucille today and the wet snow was frozen pretty crusty at the bottom so Iam hoping is cold enough that the trail will freeze overnight.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we groomed Belle last nite and Rod W. made it 12-13 feet wide in most places. we will see if it makes a diff. oh and there is a ridge between the 2 grooms. I didn't know that he had been doing this for a couple of grooms and as I suspected on the way up all tracks were basically nose to tail and all over the trail, every corner cut to make it the shortest possible trail up, go figure. we were talking on the groom up that we need to get a 6 foot wide groomer and have a track up and one down with a 2 foot ridge between them. that way your trip down should be as good as the one up and no cutting the corners.
no easy fix from our end, riders on the other hand could stay right at all times and make a big diff.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
we groomed Belle last nite and Rod W. made it 12-13 feet wide in most places. we will see if it makes a diff. oh and there is a ridge between the 2 grooms. I didn't know that he had been doing this for a couple of grooms and as I suspected on the way up all tracks were basically nose to tail and all over the trail, every corner cut to make it the shortest possible trail up, go figure. we were talking on the groom up that we need to get a 6 foot wide groomer and have a track up and one down with a 2 foot ridge between them. that way your trip down should be as good as the one up and no cutting the corners.
no easy fix from our end, riders on the other hand could stay right at all times and make a big diff.

Sounds like a great way to increase safety on the trails as well!

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If people followed the same rules of the road keep to the right and maintained a steady speed instead of the slowdown and then pin it theory the trail would be so much better and last so much longer

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My $.02 on the two lane approach with a meridian is that it will actually make the trails worse and less safe. You now compress all traffic one way to a 6 foot wide lane. Most ski stances are +/- 4 feet, so virtually now single lane. Trail smoothness will break down a lot quicker. Also impossible to pass slow traffic. Down south in Yellowstone where they have been grooming hundreds of miles of trail for countless years they've stuck with the 10 foot wide grooming.

This has been a challenging year due to warm weather and high volume due to no snow east of BC. And this high volume has a lot of pent up testosterone due to lack of snow so they're on off the throttle. Stay the course. With proper conditions you provide a good product.

Top Bottom