May 9th in Elkford....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This was our 9th annual Mother's Day ride in Elkford. It was more a ski expedition but absolutely awesome. The ski video will be added later but right now a few photos dedicated to the Mother!

The snow in Smith Basin was a lot different today than yesterday, that in itself was amazing 'cause yesterday it sucked! No crusty, crunchy snow today. A little moist and responsive.

Our son climbed to +/- 2400m or 7800' and did an awesome run on 50-45 degree slope before the sun bathed snow was too dangerous.

Another great day in the mountains.....

Attachments

• May 9i.jpg
    May 9i.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 30
  • May 9 1i.jpg
    May 9 1i.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 38
  • May 9 2i.jpg
    May 9 2i.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 31
  • May 9 3i.jpg
    May 9 3i.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 43
  • May 9 4i.jpg
    May 9 4i.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 29
  • May 9 5i.jpg
    May 9 5i.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 44
  • May 9 6i.jpg
    May 9 6i.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

hymee

Reaction score
Nice turns ,nice snow,nice day,NICE ,i'm jealous,did mother's day dinner and just took my track off my bike.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like great fun!

Are there any sled accessed hills?

I'm lazy =)

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
No Way!!! Could I ever climb that :eek::eek: ........... good for him! :beer::d:beer:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think so but I don't have the balls nor guts to get up there....The only one I know for sure is in Nordstrom....

Thanks!

We found a few in Golden, but I'd prefer to find something a little less busy and closer...

pancake

Reaction score
Looks like great fun!

Are there any sled accessed hills?

I'm lazy =)

Man, I've been looking but haven't seen anything great yet. You can do some above Mear lake but lots of sled tracks to deal with and stability issues considering its a big slide path to climb. Good sled skiing laps in harvey pass near Fernie.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, I've been looking but haven't seen anything great yet. You can do some above Mear lake but lots of sled tracks to deal with and stability issues considering its a big slide path to climb. Good sled skiing laps in harvey pass near Fernie.

Thanks!

Never been to Harvey pass.

The one spot we liked in Golden was way, way back in East Quartz. Too sketchy if the weather isn't very dependable.

There are some other smaller slopes at the end of the lake, but we left those for the less wicked. haha.

Board/ski tracks are alright, but if you hit sled tracks it takes you for a ride. At least me. I was having a hell of a time with them. I need to learn how to ride back country better, but I need to find more people interested in it with sleds and just get more time in. I have a blast everytime I go!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Never been to Harvey pass.

The one spot we liked in Golden was way, way back in East Quartz. Too sketchy if the weather isn't very dependable.

There are some other smaller slopes at the end of the lake, but we left those for the less wicked. haha.

Board/ski tracks are alright, but if you hit sled tracks it takes you for a ride. At least me. I was having a hell of a time with them. I need to learn how to ride back country better, but I need to find more people interested in it with sleds and just get more time in. I have a blast everytime I go!

Hitting sled tracks on a shredstick is a miserable experience all around. There are some zones up the Morrisey as well, around the notch there are some quick laps. Runs are pretty short, but it's steep enough to have fun (also steep enough to slide, so be aware). We had a bobcat walk up the face we were riding one day this winter, it was pretty cool.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hitting sled tracks on a shredstick is a miserable experience all around. There are some zones up the Morrisey as well, around the notch there are some quick laps. Runs are pretty short, but it's steep enough to have fun (also steep enough to slide, so be aware). We had a bobcat walk up the face we were riding one day this winter, it was pretty cool.

Yea, I've seen the slopes by the notch. There are a few runs down the trees, then the big one to the step down on the bottom.

Would love to ride those one day. Easy to ride up with the power t-bar too!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yea, I've seen the slopes by the notch. There are a few runs down the trees, then the big one to the step down on the bottom.

Darn my memory is out of sync.....the Fernie Club has a lot of sled/skier members and when I groom there are a lot of tracks off the Coal summit that cross the groomed trail and then drop down into the Morrissey area.

Also, the Matheson trail that goes up to the microwave towers. That is only 5 km from the Coal Creek staging area.

I don't sled/ski nor board so I am not the best source of into but I'm sure there are some nice runs or we wouldn't see all those dudes bringing back boards and skis. Keep asking questions and I'm sure someone will chime in....

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They're pretty fun, if not short, runs. The loop back to the top is super easy, due to the highways put in by the volume of people that get out there. There's some more stuff up the morrissey, but it's kinda hard to explain where they are without a map. Some nice zones to put up booters as well. Nice zone for sure.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're pretty fun, if not short, runs. The loop back to the top is super easy, due to the highways put in by the volume of people that get out there. There's some more stuff up the morrissey, but it's kinda hard to explain where they are without a map. Some nice zones to put up booters as well. Nice zone for sure.

I noticed you are from Kimberly, do you find much down there to ride?

I have to try Harvey Pass sometime. I've only seen pictures from the area and never been. Would be nice to get there on a bluebird day to check it out and cut some fresh lines.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed you are from Kimberly, do you find much down there to ride?

I have to try Harvey Pass sometime. I've only seen pictures from the area and never been. Would be nice to get there on a bluebird day to check it out and cut some fresh lines.

Kimberley doesn't really have sled access riding. If we ride around here, it's usually a sled in, tour up day.

Sorry for the threadjack FS...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey Fernie, your son posted this on the TGR web site, looks like a couple of sweet lines.

it's funny there was guys on that site asking why he went to elkford for skiing, his pics answered the questions:)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hey Fernie, your son posted this on the TGR web site, looks like a couple of sweet lines.

it's funny there was guys on that site asking why he went to elkford for skiing, his pics answered the questions:)

Ya, that's a sweet basin if the conditions are right; good snow, blue bird, no sled tracks, and low avi conditions.

They were definitely right on that day. That's chute #3 for him....makes a father proud!:beer:

Top Bottom