MARKET SHARE: What ATV and UTV would you buy today ?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UTV would be a Polaris rzr 900 just because nothing else comes too close in the SxS market. ATV would be a renegade 1000 if it was all for play. otherwise I would have to look closer at a can-am outlander 1000 and if it isnt too hard to mod and work on it would probably beat the Polaris 850XP for my 1st choice.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 800 sounds crappy , the 900 sounds wicked . Two completely different motors..........

I am the opposite here. Think the 900 sounds like the muffler is made out of an old rotten beer can or something. They sound like crap. Although I didn't buy one for the sound. I bought it for the performance, and my riding style.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UTV-Have driven/ driven with most utvs and my favourite by far is the 900xp.
Quad- renegade 800/1000 xxc. these quads seem like their a step above the rest for the kind of riding that i like to do.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the opposite here. Think the 900 sounds like the muffler is made out of an old rotten beer can or something. They sound like crap. Although I didn't buy one for the sound. I bought it for the performance, and my riding style.
With aftermarket duals it sounds pretty wicked, they all sound bad stock....

shenry

Reaction score
ARCTIC CAT SXS 1000 for the UTV and the OUTLANDER 1000 based only on HP and similiar features as the Outlander has been reincarnated, but both these machines are too new to know if there are going to be problems with them, so I would be taking a long hard look before I spend that kind of cash. A safer choice would be a 900 RZR and a 850 XP HO. They all have different advantages and are too close in HP to say one is in a different class of work or fun. A non bias, bad review of Arctic Cat or the Outlander would easily change my mind and we have yet to see any shootouts so I would wait.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a big believer in shoot outs in magazines, if that is what you are referring too. Dirt wheels is a joke (Yamaha bias lol) and never cover the real questions we want answered. Why do they not weigh the bikes on a scale,why dont they dyno them? Why don`t they run them with oversize tires in mud to see how they stand up etc etc. let`s see some real world testing not just print the factory specs...lol
The 900XP,850XP and Canam atvs are well proven and have a solid reputation. I would have no reason to think the 1000 canams would be any less than the current 800`s. They have addressed the rad & frame issues and have added more power. That would make these the current atv of choice i would think. That said if you can get a 77 HP xp 850 ho for 4 or 5$ k less, that is a sound alternative as well for the dollars spent.
I think it is far too early to tell on the wildcat, i like the looks and they have had time to figure it out. The 1000 xtx prowler has had it`s share of problems though and never really took off....I would caution the power numbers on the wildcat are not released yet so most of it is speculation. Also it is not just the HP number , but how efficient it puts it to the ground that counts. If the wildcat has a wet clutch it will need a lot more HP to keep up with the 900xp or canam 1000 for example...
It is good to see competition though,and it is EASY to see how some brands are falling behind and losing market share fast.....

shenry

Reaction score
I am not a big believer in shoot outs in magazines, if that is what you are referring too. Dirt wheels is a joke (Yamaha bias lol) and never cover the real questions we want answered. Why do they not weigh the bikes on a scale,why dont they dyno them? Why don`t they run them with oversize tires in mud to see how they stand up etc etc. let`s see some real world testing not just print the factory specs...lol
The 900XP,850XP and Canam atvs are well proven and have a solid reputation. I would have no reason to think the 1000 canams would be any less than the current 800`s. They have addressed the rad & frame issues and have added more power. That would make these the current atv of choice i would think. That said if you can get a 77 HP xp 850 ho for 4 or 5$ k less, that is a sound alternative as well for the dollars spent.
I think it is far too early to tell on the wildcat, i like the looks and they have had time to figure it out. The 1000 xtx prowler has had it`s share of problems though and never really took off....I would caution the power numbers on the wildcat are not released yet so most of it is speculation. Also it is not just the HP number , but how efficient it puts it to the ground that counts. If the wildcat has a wet clutch it will need a lot more HP to keep up with the 900xp or canam 1000 for example...
It is good to see competition though,and it is EASY to see how some brands are falling behind and losing market share fast.....

I am not saying one non bias review is enough, but if you really dig into people reviews on forums plus magazines, You Tube videos, and yes Yamaha, Polaris, Dirt and wheels and you will eventually see the same thing over and over again. Yes non of it may be true, but at some point you develop your conclusions from what you read and see over and over again, from not one but all your information you collect. A pattern develops and even bias reviews will have points that are non negotiable, others points, well take them for what you want and through them to the side. In the end you will stand are far better chance of buying the quad that is more suited to your needs.

However the Can Am dealer said he will warranty the Outlander for two years with 30 inch tires and a 3 inch lift, so that sounds good, haven't asked Polaris that question yet.

Last edited:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my brute for cheap, but if money wasn't a factor... It would be a Outlander 100 or a renegade 1000. They seem like a hoot and a holler.

Sxs... Rzr xp is sick, but not a believer in Polaris... I'd buy the can am.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you get them 30`s and a lift on ,you might not be a brute believer either......lol

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not saying one non bias review is enough, but if you really dig into people reviews on forums plus magazines, You Tube videos, and yes Yamaha, Polaris, Dirt and wheels and you will eventually see the same thing over and over again. Yes non of it may be true, but at some point you develop your conclusions from what you read and see over and over again, from not one but all your information you collect. A pattern develops and even bias reviews will have points that are non negotiable, others points, well take them for what you want and through them to the side. In the end you will stand are far better chance of buying the quad that is more suited to your needs.

However the Can Am dealer said he will warranty the Outlander for two years with 30 inch tires and a 3 inch lift, so that sounds good, haven't asked Polaris that question yet.

I have some oceanfront property in northern Alberta,does that dealer take trades...............???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i really like the new can am 1000s. glad to see changes they have made. and with the new 850 H.O. cat better come up with something to compete or they will drop with the jap brands

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i really like the new can am 1000s. glad to see changes they have made. and with the new 850 H.O. cat better come up with something to compete or they will drop with the jap brands

At least Cat are trying,look at suzuki ........Do they even still make quads...lol ,and no utv as well. Keep us posted on your cat.....I have heard they made a lot of good changes on the mudpro..:beer:

shenry

Reaction score
I have some oceanfront property in northern Alberta,does that dealer take trades...............???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

When I called Can Am, quote on quote, I said my XP has a 3 inch lift with 30 inch tires, so if I did that to the Outlander 1000, would the 2 year warranty be voided and he said "I don't see why" I said "What about the axles" and he replied that the axles are stronger but he was not 100% sure. This was in Sudbury ON. I talked with Greg. That's a 38 hr drive from Alberta and this was a phone conversation, so nothing was on paper. I would not put my money on that Outy just yet when the XP HO is just 5HP away with an 876cc lurking in the waters. Look at Arctic Cat with their big 1000 and how well that did, but if you added an after market pipe you could really pick up some HP from the LTD/Thundercat. Again I would wait to see if the Can Am 1000 is what it appears to be before buying one, but as you say being a Can Am it's likely to be what it appears to be. But I wouldn't put that much money on it just yet, we have some good machines now so I would wait to see if this 1000 has any bugs to iron out and see what Polaris does in 2013, kicking around on an 850 with 17-19 inches of clearance ain't so bad at the moment.

jasonmt

Reaction score
The thing that really swayed me to Can-Am 800 over to Po-Po 850 when I bought a new quad this spring was the exponentially larger aftermarket that the Can-Am has over the Po-Po in the power department while the suspension side seemed to be a draw. In the case of BBK's the difference is infinitely larger for the Can-Am as there did not appear to be any BBK's etc. for the 850 Po-Po at that time and there was at least three easily found for the Can-Am.

Stock:Stock, Can-Am 800 or 1000>Po-Po 850.

Aftermarket:Aftermarket, Can-Am 975/1180 BBK>Po-Po 850 with any available engine mods.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
um there is no xmr 1000.... they didnt get any changes from their first generation, only the regular outies and gades got the treatment so far

Top Bottom