marine subs

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just added 2 x 10 inch marine subs to my boat. I mounted them under the dash (one on each side of boat) buy cutting a hole in the panel with the cone sitting in open space between the panel and haul of the boat. They sound good at low volume but when I crank it up the subs tend to "rattle/vibrate" so I imagine it is because they are not properly insulated such as being in a box. Unfortunately a box is not an option. I heard you can buy some sticky matt for this application by creating a "box" around the back of the speaker. Has anyone ever used this before and if so does it work?

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used a similar product in my truck years ago and it was called Dynomat, but it more intended to keep the sound in the vehichle and reduce rattles. It came in a 2' x 2' sheets with self adhesive on the back. I believe now you can buy a product in a spray can for larger areas but can't remeber the name......Gecko something or other....can't remember. The subs you bought are they intended for open air spaces? Is there anyway to get access behind the sub the build something from the backside?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used a similar product in my truck years ago and it was called Dynomat, but it more intended to keep the sound in the vehichle and reduce rattles. It came in a 2' x 2' sheets with self adhesive on the back. I believe now you can buy a product in a spray can for larger areas but can't remeber the name......Gecko something or other....can't remember. The subs you bought are they intended for open air spaces? Is there anyway to get access behind the sub the build something from the backside?

Tks for the info. Unfortunately without tearing 1/2 the interior out very difficult to get to the back to make a box. I can bend my arm around to feel the back side but that is about it. The subs should be enclosed but I figured space is pretty tight there so a box would not be necessary. Unfortunately, based on the quality of sound i am getting at higher volume it is not the case. I may have to deal as is for the summer and make it a winter project to improve. It sure would be nice though to take a spray can and make a box from expandable form!:)

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull out the subs and fill the cavity in the back with bagged insulation or something to eat up some of the airspace. make sure it is bagged as regulare insulation fibres will get sucked into the voice coils and damage your subs. this would be the easiest way to do it for now until the winter when you can build a proper encloure. will help alot but will still not be ideal. good luck.
another poit to consider is that you amp is big enough but also not to big can cause same symptoms you are describing either way if it is to small it wil distort as it wont have enough juice to make the sub do wjhat it is intended to do and to big well yur blowin it apart. make sure that the power and ground to the amp is at least as big or bigger than manufacturers recomendation. use good qaulity components as well, not super high end but also dont cheap out as well. hope this helps.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull out the subs and fill the cavity in the back with bagged insulation or something to eat up some of the airspace. make sure it is bagged as regulare insulation fibres will get sucked into the voice coils and damage your subs. this would be the easiest way to do it for now until the winter when you can build a proper encloure. will help alot but will still not be ideal. good luck.
another poit to consider is that you amp is big enough but also not to big can cause same symptoms you are describing either way if it is to small it wil distort as it wont have enough juice to make the sub do wjhat it is intended to do and to big well yur blowin it apart. make sure that the power and ground to the amp is at least as big or bigger than manufacturers recomendation. use good qaulity components as well, not super high end but also dont cheap out as well. hope this helps.

Tks for the suggestion and I think I may just do that. As for the components, I spoke to a guy today at a Vernon audio store and he said I should be ok for power. On thing to note which I found out is that unlike a car the ground MUST be brought all the way back to the battery with heavy cable and not simply to a dash ground. That made a difference.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey man I could come for a bike ride and check out your boat.......tuning is also a big thing! there is lots you can do! I have been crazy a$$ busy doing boat stereos the last month! give me a ring!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey man I could come for a bike ride and check out your boat.......tuning is also a big thing! there is lots you can do! I have been crazy a$$ busy doing boat stereos the last month! give me a ring!

tks for the offer Gary! I think I better get some boxes built around the subs before worrying about the fine tuning.

Top Bottom