Marathon Deck Any good?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy a Used but never used deck. 7 feet, Slides,10 foot ramp. No lights under deck. LED clearance lights. Does anyone have any input to these decks good and bad. Thanks

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I hear they are good, if you decide not to purchase pass on the info as I am looking for a 7'

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy a Used but never used deck. 7 feet, Slides,10 foot ramp. No lights under deck. LED clearance lights. Does anyone have any input to these decks good and bad. Thanks

I have that same loader, I believe they call it a Super Short. Have had it for 3 years now and its awesome for a short box. Originally bought it to haul the kids race quads to the races. Came with 2 superclamps. Think I paid about $3300. The telescoping ramp that it comes with is the way to go :d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The marathon deck is probably "the best" deck on the market. You could pm chelle on this site, or call her at marathon.... Michelle is the shop foreman at marathon decks and you could ask her any question.... She is a great person, working for a good company. Talk to them and ask them any question you have..... I've dealt with them in the past, and they really go out of their way to help you out.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No superclamps or glides on deck. So is $2500.00 a good deal? I think it probably is, now all I have to do is talk the wife in to it. The thing is, I really dont need a deck....what to do?????

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have had 4 decks so far and the 2 Marathon decks now are the best by far, with folding sides, 10' ramp -- they stay on the trucks all year--load quads & sleds.

10' Sliding ramp with Super slides is excellent -- you can stop a quad or sled on the ramp and then continue to drive it up onto the deck slowly-- Excellent

If you are looking at buying a deck you should go to Marathon first to see the many features and functions their decks have.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No superclamps or glides on deck. So is $2500.00 a good deal? I think it probably is, now all I have to do is talk the wife in to it. The thing is, I really dont need a deck....what to do?????

Without superclamps that is pretty steep. Considering new ones will run you about $360 for two. What is used on the ramp? I'm pretty sure they've been using superglides for a few years.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without superclamps that is pretty steep. Considering new ones will run you about $360 for two. What is used on the ramp? I'm pretty sure they've been using superglides for a few years.

Thanks. I dont think there is anything on the ramps yet. It has not been used. $360 for clamps is pretty rich, I got mine from AD for $240 for the front and I think I paid $100 each for rear clamp.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well It depends on what you want, The 7 ft deck is nice for a short box,But when I compare the construction of the marathon to another, I wouldn't pay over 2000 for a new one, I like to see metal for my money, And compared to the compatition, the marathon is lacking.
Has very few crossmembers and the back legs look weak, the superclamp tie downs are just through the plywood, compatition are through the plywood and the crossmember.
I do like the marathon ramps though and it's a nice looking deck but look underneath and it's very disapointing
I did alot of shopping around before I bought mine and this is what I found when comparing, I like the ease of the removal of using the turnbuckles of the compatition, the deck is out in less than five min, my buddy is a welder and when he bought his, he looked at all them and said the same about the marathon.
I speak it as i see it! Overkill your from red deer, so you're pretty handy to a deck fabricator there.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I dont think there is anything on the ramps yet. It has not been used. $360 for clamps is pretty rich, I got mine from AD for $240 for the front and I think I paid $100 each for rear clamp.

Well considering superglides are $100 to makes the deck worth even less. That is a good price for superclamps was that new? I looked at the sled show and everything and they were around $160 atleast each. You can find used aluminum decks for $2000 with superclamps all day long i'm positive.

Personally I don't see the point of a fancy aluminum deck with fancy slide outs etc. I've got a homemade deck that i've got $1,000 into and is extremly overbuilt and doesn't really weight that much more then any of the expensive ones. The only thing I really like about marathon is the teleoscoping ramp. A 8ft ramp+beavertail isn't much for a lifted truck but it gets the job done.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clamps are a non issue to me as we have 4-5 sets between me and my brother. We "meaning him" get a pretty good deal on this stuff as he has bought 6-7 alum featherlite trailers from them. But it looks like I can get the deck for $2000.00 fire xmas sale I guess. But I'm still waffeling as I dont need a deck AT all, it would be just a nice to have once and awhile. Sounds like he bought it brand new and ha s never even been in a truck. This is my dilema, brand new for used price!

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
I thought I'd pipe in here just to clear up a few things. What sets our deck apart from the competition is that our deck is extrusion based much like a ladder is made from aluminum extrusion. Extend your telescoping ladder all the way out and climb up. It may flex but it won't break because the extrusions are engineered to take a much greater force than standard tubing that you could buy from your local metal supplier. If you take a close look at our three cross members you'll notice that they are engineered with a large center "box" and four fins. This provides many times the strength of a traditional HSS boxtube. The "backbone" of our deck is another extrusion in the shape of a Z with a 6" cross section. We also use this extrusion for our legs as it is much stronger than traditional boxtube.

The superclamp rings are attached to the deck by a hole going through the plywood and then through a 1/4" thick angle that is welded to the deck frame.

Some people may like the ease of removal of a turnbuckle but those factory tie down points in your box are only strong enough to tie down your luggage, not your expensive toys. THEY ARE NOT RATED!!!!!! We use four 1/2" bolts going through the box with backing plates under the box and plywood to spread the load on top. We believe this is the only safe way to secure your deck to your truck.

Keep in mind that you might have been looking at an old generation Marathon. We have been making this extrusion based deck for about five years now and I'll tell you I just don't see any of them coming in for repairs but I do get to fix the welds on some of our boxtube based competitors.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. If you have any more please call our super sales guy Jay as he'll be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers

M.

780-440-6800

Well It depends on what you want, The 7 ft deck is nice for a short box,But when I compare the construction of the marathon to another, I wouldn't pay over 2000 for a new one, I like to see metal for my money, And compared to the compatition, the marathon is lacking.
Has very few crossmembers and the back legs look weak, the superclamp tie downs are just through the plywood, compatition are through the plywood and the crossmember.
I do like the marathon ramps though and it's a nice looking deck but look underneath and it's very disapointing
I did alot of shopping around before I bought mine and this is what I found when comparing, I like the ease of the removal of using the turnbuckles of the compatition, the deck is out in less than five min, my buddy is a welder and when he bought his, he looked at all them and said the same about the marathon.
I speak it as i see it! Overkill your from red deer, so you're pretty handy to a deck fabricator there.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Thanks SR. It's not easy to get on here right now as everyone wants a deck. We're going hard as we can to keep up. Not that I'm complaining.

M.

drscotch

Reaction score

I paid that for a 1 year old, 8' marathon and I'd do it again in a second. No regrets at all. The only thing I'd consider is that if you're hauling long track sleds you might find 7' a little short.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd pipe in here just to clear up a few things. What sets our deck apart from the competition is that our deck is extrusion based much like a ladder is made from aluminum extrusion. Extend your telescoping ladder all the way out and climb up. It may flex but it won't break because the extrusions are engineered to take a much greater force than standard tubing that you could buy from your local metal supplier. If you take a close look at our three cross members you'll notice that they are engineered with a large center "box" and four fins. This provides many times the strength of a traditional HSS boxtube. The "backbone" of our deck is another extrusion in the shape of a Z with a 6" cross section. We also use this extrusion for our legs as it is much stronger than traditional boxtube.

The superclamp rings are attached to the deck by a hole going through the plywood and then through a 1/4" thick angle that is welded to the deck frame.

Some people may like the ease of removal of a turnbuckle but those factory tie down points in your box are only strong enough to tie down your luggage, not your expensive toys. THEY ARE NOT RATED!!!!!! We use four 1/2" bolts going through the box with backing plates under the box and plywood to spread the load on top. We believe this is the only safe way to secure your deck to your truck.

Keep in mind that you might have been looking at an old generation Marathon. We have been making this extrusion based deck for about five years now and I'll tell you I just don't see any of them coming in for repairs but I do get to fix the welds on some of our boxtube based competitors.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. If you have any more please call our super sales guy Jay as he'll be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers

M.

780-440-6800
The deck was brand new last year I remember when it came in Because it came in polished, and sat on the floor for a while, and this deck had the D-rings through just wood.
I know this because I went back to this looking for d-rings, and had bought ones for a marathon deck I got them home and they were about 2 inches too short I want back to look into the reason why, I crawled under one and saw that the marathon just had the d-ring through the plywood which mine went through the crossmember.
The tie downs are rated on my truck, tells me this in my owners manual, It doesn't tell me what the box is rated for with a deck bolted to it!!

Top Bottom