mandatory club membership in order to post on snow and mud

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finding ways to get people to join a club and being a member of one is great but in my experience it is volunteers that are needed most.

This is what slowly kills most clubs, it is alway the same few people doing the work. Year after year.

Once a person joins a club they reaaaallly need to get involved.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what we need people not only to join a club but get involved and help out
finding ways to get people to join a club and being a member of one is great but in my experience it is volunteers that are needed most.

This is what slowly kills most clubs, it is alway the same few people doing the work. Year after year.

Once a person joins a club they reaaaallly need to get involved.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it matters, just hard to keep the enthusiasm up, seems to be way to much work, small rewards, and always someone to bitch, complain and destroy what you have done. when it is gone it is gone, we need some enthusiasm or something to get motivated,

Exactly. The more enthusiastic people we can get on board the better. It really helps keep me motivated being around people that are passionate about furthering our sport.

It is definitely easy to get discouraged. Alot of people like to bitch no matter what you do, and you are spending your free time working for them! And then there are those who have no problem using the clubs cabins, riding our trails, parking in the lots we have plowed, etc..........and wont even put out fifty bucks for a membership.

I think the right people can change this though.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
In our club my wife and I are the first "new" active members in 10-ish years... 200-ish members, and about a dozen regular contributors....

Sorry thats wrong, Mallard and michelle have been helping out lots this year...

Exactly. The more enthusiastic people we can get on board the better. It really helps keep me motivated being around people that are passionate about furthering our sport.

It is definitely easy to get discouraged. Alot of people like to bitch no matter what you do, and you are spending your free time working for them! And then there are those who have no problem using the clubs cabins, riding our trails, parking in the lots we have plowed, etc..........and wont even put out fifty bucks for a membership.

I think the right people can change this though.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a snow and mud magazine, but I could imagine how much work that would take publishing 12 months of a year. there's a lot of talented photographers around here as well.

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have too much time on your hands!! nice one!!
i would delete my account if i had to belong to a club to post here!!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so where you going to ride because all the areas keep getting shut down because of us being out numbered and not having the numbers that can keep riding areas open .... the more club members we have we have a better chance of keeping riding areas open for back country use.....perfect example cataract creek s.w. of calgary used to have a groomer there .... government didnt see the use in grooming it for so few users ...do ya thiunk if we would of had more memberships to have a voice if that area would of lost the groomer
I think you have too much time on your hands!! nice one!!
i would delete my account if i had to belong to a club to post here!!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you will disagree but maybe the government needs to look at charging a fee similar to fishing licenses to be able to use the backcountry. Just a thought

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully they get on board charge for it when registering sleds/quads...... would make it a lot easier.... then also a stiff fine if no registration

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
In our club my wife and I are the first "new" active members in 10-ish years... 200-ish members, and about a dozen regular contributors....

Sorry thats wrong, Mallard and michelle have been helping out lots this year...

and now that we're in the area expect to see us out more assisting where we can.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you will disagree but maybe the government needs to look at charging a fee similar to fishing licenses to be able to use the backcountry. Just a thought

Well intentioned, but as usual government would F it up royally.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Oh I know you and sara will be active as well.... still a very small percentage...

You guys will be getting an invite to join the executive as well in the coming weeks...

and now that we're in the area expect to see us out more assisting where we can.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh I know you and sara will be active as well.... still a very small percentage...

You guys will be getting an invite to join the executive as well in the coming weeks...

Quite likely I would accept said invite, not sure that she will want to but I sure would.

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slippery slope some are trying to go down. I for one am strongly against anymore govt. control and regulation of our sport. The enemy (greens) are attempting to close down much of our access these days. Allowing more rules and regs to come into being will only further increase the amount of bravado politicians in regards to policing our sport. I do belong to a club, I do as well maintain a favorite riding area (not letting on where) that has no club, groomer or such within 70 miles. The club folks need to temper their enthusiasm with the fact that any govt. involvement will only result in more closures. The crowd that wants to put banners and chit up about their club, feel free and enjoy your monster stickas! I'm not trying to flame anyone, rather just sick of govt. types trying to limit where I ride!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully they get on board charge for it when registering sleds/quads...... would make it a lot easier.... then also a stiff fine if no registration

MB, ON, QC, and perhaps others already operate this way. You pay your provincial trail pass in one fee lumped in with your plates.

Great idea....think we can get BC to work as a province instead of several dozen disconnected clubs? How great would it be to buy a BC pass and ride anywhere?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I fear that a one time annual fee would not produce enough income to support the individual grooming funds for the area clubs... Our local club grooms an average of 4 times a year at an approximate cost of $2k per.... Valemount alone grooms how many KM's per week????

would be awesome but not feesible, and I agree the Gov. would fawk it up somehow... collect from all registrations, pay for the administration of the program and cut a $5k cheque to each club. I wish some of our Reg $$$ in alberta went to fund trail development and maintenance but our megre grooming schedule is financed thru club sponsored events & fundraising...

MB, ON, QC, and perhaps others already operate this way. You pay your provincial trail pass in one fee lumped in with your plates.

Great idea....think we can get BC to work as a province instead of several dozen disconnected clubs? How great would it be to buy a BC pass and ride anywhere?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at the end of the day it doesnt matter who collects the fees as long as the clubs can survive and generate enough income from it to be able to keep the trails in great shape ... too many peeps (alberta side )that continue not buying trail passes and continue to ride the areas is that fair to the peeps that bust asses for asa members to enjoy and do all the firewood cutting, trail maintenance and grooming ....
Slippery slope some are trying to go down. I for one am strongly against anymore govt. control and regulation of our sport. The enemy (greens) are attempting to close down much of our access these days. Allowing more rules and regs to come into being will only further increase the amount of bravado politicians in regards to policing our sport. I do belong to a club, I do as well maintain a favorite riding area (not letting on where) that has no club, groomer or such within 70 miles. The club folks need to temper their enthusiasm with the fact that any govt. involvement will only result in more closures. The crowd that wants to put banners and chit up about their club, feel free and enjoy your monster stickas! I'm not trying to flame anyone, rather just sick of govt. types trying to limit where I ride!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but if it works in other provinces why cant it work here ..... raise the fee to 100 per sled with a family discount perhaps then even if the government keeps 15 bucks for admin fees we would be better off but having said that where does asa get its money from then we kinda need to keep them around

Top Bottom