M8 Upper Idler Wheel Adjustments

Hicktown

Reaction score
I have been looking at the upper idler wheel blocks in my skid noticing there is a set of holes that could be used to drop these wheels down an inch or so. What is the purpose of this? What is to be gained (or lost) by dropping these upper idler wheels?
Thanks for the help all!

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is the holes I used to mount the A/C scratchers.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive also woundered what it will do is there anyone out there who has played around with there susp and knows ........If there was snow on the ground i would just change it and ride so i could see for myself but due to the lack of snow im just left here woundering??:confused:

WATDAFOOK

Reaction score
If you raise the tunnel up and mount in the lower holes,make sure you increase the front shock tension (in the rear susp.).Depending on your weight,usually we set it at about 2/3 of the way up the threads of the shock...

Hicktown

Reaction score
Oh ok, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to change it. What is the purpose of changing it to the lower holes?

Hicktown

Reaction score
Is it worth the effort? What benefits would a guy acheive? Obviously gets the running boards out of the pow a bit, would it not change the attack angle a bit? reduce trenching?
Thanks!

Hicktown

Reaction score
Is there nobody out there that has played around with this much to know what any benefits or losses are by changing this adjustment?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes there is.I put mine in the lower holes( lifting the tunnel).I did it becase the suspension felt soft and was told to do this and add some air pressure to the shock and it will stiffin up the suspension.The stock suspension is set up from factory for a 180 pound rider,thats basically one leg for me LOL!By doing this it feels way better and seem to perform way better,if you are a bigger guy I would definatly try it,Im gald I did,pretty easy to change back if you dont!
catmando!

Attachments

• P2190024.jpg
    P2190024.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 105

Hicktown

Reaction score
Ah I see, yeah these manufacturers set up for small people, bikes are worse! 160 Lb's, so I have to really set those up. I think I'll give that a shot! That would increase ski pressure alot wouldn't it? Probably helps with climbing a little?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does increase the ski pressure. Some have done it and found they didn't like the extra ski pressure but if you are a bigger guy them you probably wouldn't notice it as much. I've changed a bunch of stuff in my rear skid and am currently in the process of changing a bunch more stuff to make mine go faster and higher and ride smoother.

Hicktown

Reaction score
It does increase the ski pressure. Some have done it and found they didn't like the extra ski pressure but if you are a bigger guy them you probably wouldn't notice it as much. I've changed a bunch of stuff in my rear skid and am currently in the process of changing a bunch more stuff to make mine go faster and higher and ride smoother.
Oh ok, yeah that makes sense, a bigger guy would sqaut it out and it would end up being the same as a light rider in the stock setting so-to-speak. This year is the first year I've ever ran a Cat, so any help you can provide me with how to tune these things would be so very much appreciated!

You would probably be a good person to talk to about finding my way around McBride as well??

Top Bottom