M8 skid plate popping off

chinook75

Reaction score
Last time I was out riding while taking a break I noticed part of my skid plate had popped off. Luckily the screw was still there so I proceeded to tighten it back up, presuming I must have snagged it on a stump or rock. I also checked the other side, and all was good.

The next day I noticed the other side was now popped off, and the screw was gone. It was then that I realized it wasn't popping off from any stump or other obstruction. What was happening was the snow would get above the skid plate at the A-Frames and melt a bit from the heat, then refreeze and EXPAND forcing the skid plate to pop off at the A-Frame.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but it is new to me and never happened with my firecat. Is this a common problem with other makes?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I would suggest maybe putting threadlocker on those screws when you put it back on.

chinook75

Reaction score
I would suggest maybe putting threadlocker on those screws when you put it back on.

The problem wasn't that the screws were backing out, but rather straight popping off. So now the holes are partially stripped. I am going to attempt to rivet the two sides back into place, and if that doesn't work I will be forced to do some cutting of the skid plate.

Top Bottom