M8- RKT Head Question

NorthRider

Reaction score
Just ordered up a RKT head for an M8-2008, it is supposed to be built for future NOS so head is less then 14:1.
Was told that I would need to run 30% AV gas and premium to keep it cool at lower elevations.
Engine is stock c/w can
Question: Is this true? Do I need a fuel box? Temp probes? HELP
Any advice would be good (Maybe)

scrapmaster

Reaction score
i cant say for sure as every machine is different but in my experience i ran the 14-1 head kit with an intake an can as low as 2500ft on straight premium, i monitored a/f ratio and spark plugs and everything was fine, never saw any indication of pre det once i added the pipe set the box was mandatory tho.. did kelsey at rk recomend this or someone else? maybe start of running the recomended mix and keep an eye on everything then go from there... also to my knowledge if your gunna run nitrous ul need a box regardless

NorthRider

Reaction score
Scrapmaster
Kelsey did recomend the mix as well as Bruce at Mountain Magic, I suppose that is the safe way to go, still can check plugs on the way up the mountain, before burn down!!
You said you ran intake ( I asssume fresh air?) any difference? And what kind?

As far as nitrous the fuel controller is probably a must, that is down the road.

Kelsey did say he would build the head under the 14;1 if I was going to nitrous, your's is 14;1 with nitrous?

scrapmaster

Reaction score
for an intake i run a slp air horn and i belive its a bdx upper plenum, i noticed some difference seat of the pants mostly seemed to be in the midrange, im not runnin nitrous tho no. i was never told to run a race gas mix in mine, just wondering if maybe they meant when your runnin the bottle as thats common?

NorthRider

Reaction score
Scrapmaster
No both MM and RKT suggested a mix of 20-30% race fuel as they suggested with fuel not neccesarily being what it is supposed to be ie. 91 octane that it would be safer at lower alltitudes to mix fuel(trail up) no mention if and when it had nitrous

scrapmaster

Reaction score
good point for sure i hadnt considered the bad fuel going around these days, think i will start running a mix cheap insurance for sure, thanks

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NORTHRIDER using av gas or race fuel is nonsense! I am running RTK 14-1 head full SLP Pipe kit on premium , 2000' to 6000' 1400 miles no problem!

NorthRider

Reaction score
Krash,
That is interesting I will have to discuss with them more and or do a plug read.
Thanks for the imput.
How did you like the performance of the head ? Was it a RKT head?

mattern

Reaction score
I was runnin a rkt 14:1 head on my 07m1000 and down at low elevation they told me to mix race fuel, but in higher elevations told me I didn't unless i was running nitrous which i was so i was runing 75/25 91 octane/vp 111 e

Top Bottom