M8 Coolant in Bottom End

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the PTO side jug off my sled to change the piston. I got impatient and pulled the jug without draining the coolant out of it:doh:

Is there a way to get the coolant out of the bottom end without taking the engine out and splitting the case?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small hand pump with a long hose. Flush with gas/oil mix thoroughly afterwards.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to napa to get one of those suction gun dealys and give er a good flush.

Thanks

Should I leave a bit of oil down in there when i put it back together?

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil sucker that you hook up to your compressor would work as well. Still need to flush with gas/oil afterwards.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, what's the consensus on re using the base gasket and head o rings and head bolt seals? They were all new about 2-300 miles ago. I only pulled it all apart to replace the one piston because it somehow contacted the power valve and put some scoring on it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Take some rags and roll them up, stick them down there. Sometimes i've packed it down there and turned the crank and it pushed the paper towel right now. and it's perfectly dry.

I have reused the base gaskets and head orings. I wouldn't hesitate either either, especially if they only have 200-300 miles.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, one more question,
Are the two side of the bottom end open to each other? So if the one side has the coolant from the head but the other cylinder is still on and torqued, will the coolant from the side that is apart be able to move to the side that is together? Basically I am asking do I need to take the other side apart and clean it out?
Thanks guys

2dawgsfawkin

Reaction score
Call your buddy, hoist or come along on front and rear bumper while connected to roof joist, lift sled 3 feet of the ground, twirl 180 while in air, let hang upsidedown for 1 hour. Go anal and run compressed air through a jet nozzle while upside down. Extra lube may help as well but may not want put down there. Glazing.

Last edited:

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got the one side cleaned out. Sucked out the coolant and did ippielb's rag thing. Poured some gas and did a couple revolutions, sucked it out and did the rag thing again. Poured some oil combined with more gas and did more revolutions. Sucked it out and did the rag thing once more. Gave it some compressed air and all looked ok. Poured 3-4 capfuls of cat's APV on the bearing and crank journals and did a number of revolutions. I think it will be alright. Now I have to wait for mr bus driver to bring me a piston and rings and we are back in business.

I think I may pull the other cylinder off just to see if any coolant made it over there.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest to never reuse a gasket. You are asking for trouble.
X2 ^^^^^. As a mechanic, I wouldn't reuse the base gasket. You could end up with an air leak, run lean, & be buying another set of pistons. JMHO, I'm certain it's been done and gotten away with... but I won't risk it.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should I follow the same break in procedure as whole new top end even though I only changed one piston/rings? I put the old good piston/cylinder back together using dino oil like I did with the new piston. So should I empty the oil resevoir and put the dino oil in there as well as the gas tank like I did when I did the whole top end?

Top Bottom