M8 162 swap to 174 3 inch

Jreber86

Reaction score
I have a 2008 m8 162 and want to swap the track to a 174 3 inch paddle. The sled has full slp pipe blackdiomand intake power commander 5 speedwerx primary kit black primary spring Was wondering if abyone has done this set up and of they did any gear swaps From my knowledge the stock gears are a 57 - 63 And would like to know if I woukd benefit changing them. And what to change too

Burnsie

Reaction score
I just switched from a 153 to a 162 X 3" on a 2011 M8. I was concerned about gearing as well. I threw some adjustable weights in and headed out, she spun that monster track no problem, held rpm good. I wouldn't be afraid to tell you to ride it as is. Oh and you will love them 3" paddles.
Cheers

Brojoe

Reaction score
Burnsie, what else did you have to do to get the 3 inch to fit and work? Also what did you use for a track, did you cut down a camo? any info would be appreciated

Burnsie

Reaction score
I purchased a CE from tracks canada. He cut down to 15" wide for me, he also nipped off the top of the outside lugs on 45 degrees about 3/4" to clear the cooler rails inside the tunnel. And then he shaved the inside drive lugs on one side to clear the diamond drive. There was a pile of cutting to be done and thats why I let him do the work, I most likely would have trashed the track trying to cut it and possibly been down a finger or two.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
My buddy has a 174 on his M8 with stock gearing, stock springs in the clutches, stock helix with adjustable weights in the front and it is working very well. He has ported his engine with alll the bolt on goodies and it pulls hard! You can go to a set of lower gears if you want, they are 55/65 and are from a m8 as well. This would only be beneficial if you find that you are going through belts but I would check your alignment first. Good luck.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 174 on his M8 with stock gearing, stock springs in the clutches, stock helix with adjustable weights in the front and it is working very well. He has ported his engine with alll the bolt on goodies and it pulls hard! You can go to a set of lower gears if you want, they are 55/65 and are from a m8 as well. This would only be beneficial if you find that you are going through belts but I would check your alignment first. Good luck.
Is he running an 800 HO or a2009 and older?

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to do the same thing to my 2009 M8, just not sure if it will leave me with something to be desired powerwise....I have ridden the newer H.O cats and xm's, as well as a couple pros. This coming season I will mostly be riding all brand new 2013, 2014 sleds,.Im not planning on buying a new sled so just wondering if a big track will help me out a lot? Or of i will feel i am really lacking power and track speed. Really wanting opinions on this from people with experince.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The track will make a huge difference. Your 09 m8 with a 174x3" will keep up to a stock xm. Been running 174 since my 05 m7 and have shocked a lot sleds. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear!! How does that 1000 of yours work with a 174 3incher? Thats another idea I have been tosing around is getting a nice clean 1000 and putting a big track on it.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My m1000 is unbelievable. I've dropped 50 lbs off it with a CF hood , bdx lite drive,shortened seat, Slp pipe. I am keeping mine for another season for sure. But catman10 has the twin sled to mine and he's ready for a change just from boredom. His sled rips too.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I posted on your other thread but yes if you want a really well tuned m1 that is just a pull the rope and ride then let me know as I will be selling mine this year. My buddies think I am nuts but unlike most people I enjoy the wrenching as much as the riding and I am ready for a new build. I am thinking about doing a Polaris up because they are such an underdog and it would be fun to actually make one go!!!

MR MOOSE

Reaction score
I had an 09 M1200 with the 174X2.5, I ran 55/65 gearing and a STM 11" secondary. Had lots of bottom end and belts were never a problem. Still had more than enough track speed and all in all the sled was a beast! Putting a 174X2.5 on my M8 turbo right now and doing pretty much the exact same thing.

Top Bottom