M7 electrical Issue

12bruckd

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2005 M7 and when I turn on the left hand warmer on low the headlights and gauge cluster die and loose all power but the sled still runs. The high setting and the right warmer seem to work fine, (not sure if they get hot, I just got the sled). I used an ohm meter on the warmer element and the switch but I'm not sure what is causing the problem. Is there a certain ohm reading I should get for each? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

12bruckd

Reaction score
disconnected the warmer and no change, I checked the switch with an ohm meter and the switch works fine as well. I measured the wires the switch plugs into and for the brown and green with black I got 0 ohms and for the brown with green and white I got 3 or 4 ohms. on my friends 2006 m7 on the same connection I got 15 ohms and 7 ohms respectively. does that mean there is a short somewhere? also is there any danger if i just don't use the low setting on the warmer and use all the others?

Thanks

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, 0 ohms is a dead short. Gotta find it or risk damaging something expensive, ie: the ECU.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help you but on my sons 05 M7 his wires were shorting down along the steering post. Good luck

12bruckd

Reaction score
ok thanks all for the replies, looks like I'm wire hunting now...

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
there should be a conector farther down for the brown and green unplug that and then check for contact to ground but as others said its probably on the steering post

12bruckd

Reaction score
would a disconnected thumb warmer maybe also cause this? looks like the previous owner took that out and just left the wires there.

12bruckd

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the responses. Turned out to be the other switch. Someone had put dielectric grease in it and it was shorting out the contacts. Cleaned up the switch and works good as new!!

Top Bottom