m1000 flooding at w.o.t. on one cylinder

mattsterz

Reaction score
i went riding yesterday and every time i was near wide open it would seam to bog(up to 5500 rpm ran great)lots of power on lower rpms.last night i changed all four plugs,checked and cleaned exhaust valves(one was a little longer than 34.5 mm,now both good.)went riding today and most of the day it ran great(got the 7300 rpm).got home pulled up to a snow bank and let'er rip 9/10 times it ran great but then 1 time it did the same as the day before(max 6000 rpm and bogging) i held it like that for 10-15 seconds noticed mag cylinder 200 deg. cooler so pulled plugs and sure enough wet.dont understand why intermittent and just on wot and dont laugh but noticed also a/f ratio went to 16 under rich cond.does this sound like a sticky injector ?.any help would be great.

mustard73

Reaction score
Sounds very much like an m7 I helped work on over the holidays.

We thought it might be an injector so we swapped them side to side but the PTO plug was still the one dripping wet. We connected the plug wires backwards and same thing.

The dealer tested the stator and it is shot.

Nupejaw

Reaction score
Did you come up with a solution? I have the exact same thing happening, exhaust side. I'm running the SLP single kit with PCV on an 08 M1000. Would really like to hear some feedback from anyone, supposed to head to McBride on Wed.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines bben doing this too, i can go wide open right to max and stay there, but if i slack for a few secs and start to go agian she bogs right down. Got to slow her right down before i can go again. Also quickly cracking the throttle cleared too.

Nupejaw

Reaction score
Mine will not clean out at all after I let off. Changed the plugs and it worked good until I let off again. Not sure where to start troubleshooting, gotta figure it out befor Wed.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 M1000 with SLP pipe set, PCV etc was doing the same thing at low elevation (ran good up high). My mag side cylinder has always ran cooler than the pto side and i confirmed this by putting my stock pipe and muffler on the sled and zeroing out my PCV. After leaning my sled out, i rarely drop a cylinder but it does happen more often at low elevation. I really believe that it would be worthwhile to try and lean out the cylinder that is dropping. I think this is possible with most fuel boxes. I have just started leaning out the mag side on my m1000 little by little but think i am on the right track as far as my sled goes. I also think that the factory ecu may fatten the fuel mixture up a little to much at lower elevations causing the sled to drop a cylinder more often.

Nupejaw

Reaction score
Wouldn't it work worse up high if it was rich down low? or do I have it backwards?? Where are you pulling your fuel out? I don't have egt's in it yet so I'm a little nervous about trimming fuel on plug color alone.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just letting you know what my experience has been. The way i understand it is that the ecu automatically adjusts the fuel mixture for different elevations and will add extra fuel at lower elevation and remove fuel at high elevation. My experience is that my sleds ecu may be adding a little too much fuel at the lower elevations. One thing for sure is that both my sleds (06 M7 & 08 M1000) always run better (cleaner) at elevation.:beer:

Nupejaw

Reaction score
True enough, I forgot about it adjusting for altitude. Thanks for the info, I might try a racinstation map tomorrow just for the hell of it. Just seems strange that the plugs on the clutch side were a near perfect brown.

Wil E. Coyote

Reaction score
I've been working on this issue also. Completely stock sled just broke in.

100miles on a new 2009 M1000, wont get past 6200rpm. Mag side plugs soaking wet, and fuel in the Y pipe on the mag side. I'm going to check and see if my plug wires are arcing to the pipe tonight. I switched plugs from mag side to PTO side and it pulled to 7800rpm sometimes (2/10 times). No codes on the computer, checked power valve length (1.319in), good spark when pulling it over. Dealer says put in new plugs that I fouled them when i broke it in, but i don't think this is the issue.

Anybody gets this figured out let me know. Most posts the guys sleds are moded already and they are leaning them out at 6200rpm, I hope this is not the solution.

Nupejaw

Reaction score
Yup, I can see fuel in the Y on that side in mine too. Just tried to remove the fuel rail but one of those wonderful phillips screws stripped so thats out for now. Phillips heads should be banned from anything but IKEA.

Wil E. Coyote

Reaction score
GP dealer has 3 stock 2009 M1000's in the shop with the same issue same cylinder. Sounds like some most of them are intermitant the guys might get an hour or two good riding before it acts up agian. Mine on the other hand you get 1.5sec of good riding before it acts up.

Anybody?

mattsterz

Reaction score
where i am is the dealer is ordering a new stator plate.ill keep posting as i progress.the one thing i am certain of is it is spark issues after spending 8hours testing different things on the trail.the first time it hit the shop i worked with the mechanic and removed everything back to the reeds and it all was perfect condition.bench tested the injectors they worked perfect.

Wil E. Coyote

Reaction score
I phoned Arctic Cat directly and they said there is no ecu reflashs or recalls of the ecu for my serial number. A lot of people online claim to have had their 2009 m1000 reflashed to solve the problem. The dealer here won't do it because they have never heard of it.

I switched coils from PTO side to Mag side and inspected and tested all the plug wires. Installed 4 new plugs. I took it for a rip and it worked perfectly for about 5 minutes, and then the same issue bogging and wont go past 6200rpm. I could never get it to rev up again. Took the pipe off and same thing soaking wet with gas on the Mag side. So it wasn't a coil issue.

I'm unsure how a stator plate would effect anything the stator itself maybe? They have run the same stator, stator plate, rotor, air temp sensors, water temp sensors, coils, exhaust temp sensors since the 2007 m1000 and are still running these parts on the 2011 M1000's so I have a hard time believeing that its any of these parts. Unless they had a bad run of parts.

The Dealer here said he is too busy installing turbos and fixing 2011's to worry about 3 or 4 2009 m1000's with the same issue.

mattsterz

Reaction score
a friend of mine had the same ecu as mine, orange circle so i put his on my sled and still did the same thing so it's not the ecu.from there it went to the dealer and was hooked up to the computer,flashed no codes or errors.

Last edited:

Wil E. Coyote

Reaction score
I started tearing down the intake side today and found about 2ozs of oil (with a bit of water) in the intake right in front of the mag side throttle body. Then I found my oil pump was not returning to the full closed position after releasing the throttle. I fixed the oil pump but its too cold here to test yet. I also checked all my EFI sensors (water, air and exhaust) they were perfect. I have used over half my oil tank volume in 124miles, so that also indicates its probably getting too much oil.

Hope I have it fixed!

mattsterz

Reaction score
got it back from dealer friday they didnt change the stator just put 4 new plug wires.still have the same problem.put it up against a snow bank reved it up all it would rev was 6100,6200 watching the mag exhaust temp dropping, decieded to turn off the key for 1-2 seconds under full throttle,went right to 7400 rpms(full power):rant:.this indicates electrical to me.going back to dealer on tues.to add insult to injury it snowed a foot sunday night.still have a m1000 that cant out climb a tundra:eek:

Wil E. Coyote

Reaction score
mattserz is your sled an 09? sounds like you have egt's on your sled? any other mods? Last question does your sled do this all the time or can you get an hour or two ride out of it and it works fine? It warming up here so I'll test mine tomorrow. If you remove the airbox see how the airbox is designed any extra oil / blow back sits right in front of the mag side throttle body.

Top Bottom