Low idle and gauge won't light up

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 pro rmk 800 does a really low idle and won't power the display but only sometimes. It works fine if you rev it up a bit. Does this mean my stator or regulator is going?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
2012 pro rmk 800 does a really low idle and won't power the display but only sometimes. It works fine if you rev it up a bit. Does this mean my stator or regulator is going?
Either that or something is drawing on the electrical system. Does it have a turbo?
Have seen the same symptoms twice this year and both times it turned out the fuel pump was done and drawing too much.

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either that or something is drawing on the electrical system. Does it have a turbo?
Have seen the same symptoms twice this year and both times it turned out the fuel pump was done and drawing too much.

Nope no turbo but I has a pc5 to run the stage 3 slp

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Nope no turbo but I has a pc5 to run the stage 3 slp
Should always start by eliminating aftermarket parts that may have an effect on stock electronics.
Use a meter and check DC and AC voltage at the plugs over the clutch cover.
We power up the fuel pump at the plug with a battery so we can listen to it run without the sled running and also use an amp clamp to see what the pump draws. It should be about 4 amp draw and not make any unusual noises.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chipped reeds will also make them idle low. If you have V Force in there i would check them.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is happening to a friend of mine, idling 1600-1800 rpm. sled only revs 7800-7900 WOT. One morning it was revving so low gauge wasnt lighting up, reved up a bit and it came on.

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tested the fuel pump and it draws 4.5 Amps and sounds good as it runs. I tested power while the sled was running fine. It was idling normal and the cluster was lit up and the dc volts were 14.3 and the ECM volts were 13.89

p-troy

Reaction score
I also have this problem on my 12 assault. only when its cold. outside temps -20 C or colder, sled sounds like idle is fine, reverse, throttle response are all spot on. Once the sled warms to like 60 degrees the gauge will light up. started doing it last year and only had a can on it then. note headlight and taillight work all the time.

Top Bottom