Lots of gear discussions going on lately...here's my take on some recent observations

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 10F38290-.jpg
    10F38290-.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 669

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If you haven't taken your AST yet I highly recommend Frozen Pirate. Marshall is an awesome guy!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would of loved to finish reading that article but that pop up was Pizzing me off, I couldn’t finish reading it.

For me the education and training should come first, that training will educate the student on the proper techniques of using the equipment safely and effectively.
Taking my AST 1 was a big eye opener for me.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was guilty of this. Had a avy bag way before AST1. Thought I was good. Took my AST1 with Curtis and I realized I was a fool. Great course and highly recommend it no matter how much experience you think you have.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group (who have our AST1) went to that seminar provided by Frozen Pirate as a little refresher and for a chance to win a trip with them! I too was astonished how many people had a $700 brand new air bag but no avy course. I rode with a couple new buddies of mine last year who all have air bags and no training or education. After them going to this seminar I think they've realized how important it is. After the course one of my new buddies turned to me and said "I had no idea that a beacon lead you on a curve". It made me think - I wonder how many people truly dont know how to use their equipment. Take a course!

Its been a couple years since our group did our AST 1 so we will hopefully be doing the AST2 with frozen pirate this year. Really looking forward to it

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't Agree more. The gear is important as well as the training. I have found the training to a definite asset and I have lost many riding friends because they don't feel the way I do. I have argued things they did on the hill that didn't sit well with me around the water trough at night. I'm sure they consider me an a-hole because of this but I value going home more then their perfect day so I said see you later.

The only thing I would like to see is an industry standard. I applaud anybody that takes the time to train us. However I have taken my AST 1 Twice, AST 2 once, and a couple night courses and they seem to be at the instructors ideals.

We all know that someone needs to take charge of the situation when it arises but if two groups merge will they be as good as you think they are trained or confused on different ideas of how it should go down.

Just my :twocents: Dont mean to hurt any feelers. Just what I think.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did our AST1 last year and we were fortunate to have two people educate us that had experience in situations that we put ourselves into every time we went out riding. Until then we didn’t have even the basic tools to properly assess situations and terrain, we just ride and made smart decisions that got us h9me each day, but now the tool box is a little fuller and riding areas are bigger for us. I’ve found that I carry transceivers around with me and practice throughout the year to make sure I know what I’m suppose to do. I shovel piles of dirt, sand whatever in 45 second increments as efficiently as I can, as hard as I can. I put lathe in around me and try not to hit it. Yeah..sounds stupid maybe but the whack in the hand I got during our course that swelled it up real bad taught me that distance is safety! The first drill we did we had a loud voice directing us to dig out our buddy, hurry guys, dig, he’s counting on you.... the second time that voice was silent, it was almost eery not hearing it and trying to stay focused on what we were doing. For me I was the pupil, not the boss and not the leader, rather on the same line and level as even our “coach” as we had a mission to get that guy out of the snow and get him home that day. My biggest take from that course was that I want the people that I am riding with to know they can trust me to get them out if things go wrong. I want them to know that I’m not a weekend warrior and that I train with my gear year round, use it, assess it and make sure that I am fit for duty when we jump outta the truck in the parking lot. We run through our plan, our drills our system. We know each other’s packs, gear and sleds. I guess we try a little harder so we can be a stronger unit if we get into a situation. All I know is that those two days were in my top 10 of all time snowmobile days, for what we were taught and enlightened about, as well as what we live by today and our new mindset. The guys that spent their time teaching us, occasionally laughing at 4 rookies are two people that I would trust to control a situation and get me home, for that I will always hold deep respect for them. It’s because of this that I can say with full admiration for the professionalism and level of education, love of the sport and genuine good guy mentality that FrozenPirate Snow Services should be the standard that everyone talks about and seeks for Avalanche Education. They live it every day, it’s their job, their passion and their livelihood. That’s a straight up no bull statement.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i sat thru a evening course at martins a few years ago i was surprised how many people did not know how to use there beacons. they had the equipment but did not know how to use them. at the course they also had a probe for a demo that would not work due to cable damage, which is something i think alot of people overlook. having the equipment is a start but know how to use it and test it should also be done. first time a few years back we tested are beacons for range to find out one was not working properly, so he knew how to use it and had faulty equipment making him actually useless is a rescue situation. so imo test your equipment . i also recomend frozen pirates if you havent taken a course

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the way Mr Pirate, great article. Keep up the great work you do for snowmobiling and education, th3 entire community and sport are thankful to have you along with so many others in the same corner that we stand in. Remember...guys like us need guys like you, never give up because I’m not sure you know how many people and how much of this industry relies on you and your efforts. Thanks little buddy!

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have done AST1 twice now with 2 different companies. This worked out really well as we have extracted the best practices out of both to apply to our groups riding. Next step will be AST2 in a year or 2. These are great learning opportunities and allows us to participate with the next generation of riders.

shell_guy

Reaction score
I took my AST1 as step one, I feel next to a beacon it is the single best thing you can ever spend your money on. Most of my buddies have also taken it, I generally will not ride with a group if they have not taken a course. Remember, its more then likely not their life its saving, it is someone else's.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lastnight I participated in the Avy refresher sponsored by BRP. Marshal did a great job presenting it and that refresher has me thinking about the age of my current gear.
I test my ABS bag every year and weigh the canisters as per ABS.
I upgraded my beacon a few years ago now im thinking about my bag and probe now.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When three of us Manitoobers moved out here 4 years ago, buddy wouldn't ride with us unless we took ast1 and had all the gear. And honestly, i did not feel comfortable riding avy terrain without some knowledge beforehand.

Just a tad different than ditch bangin.. Lol
(Ah ****....stuck in the cat tails again!)

Probably the best investment I've put into the sport.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have ideas or thoughts?

All the gear in the world won't do you any good if you don't use the education to make proper decisions based on the snowpack, weather and people you're with. I've taken my AST1 twice now and I'm really looking forward to doing my AST2 in January with Curtis.

It's kinda like driving a vehicle down the highway in winter. You can have an AWD subaru with top of the line studded winter tires and have taken driving courses from rally car racers. But if you're going to speed and drive aggressive when its puking snow and the roads are icy, chances are you'll get bit.

Overall I think we as a community have come a long ways with avalanche education and awareness. If we look back 5-10 years ago, the overall attitude of the average sledder now heading to the mountains is more positive towards avalanche education and good decision making. I think its largely in part thanks to guys like Curtis who have worked tirelessly to promote AST courses and seminars. Kudos to the Pirates and everyone else who works within the avalanche safety industry.

Top Bottom