Looking To start Fundraiser to fund a study to see the effects of sledss on Caribou

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking To start Fundraiser to fund a study to see the effects of sleds on Caribou

Just gauging interest, I was talking with the guys after riding on Saturday in Mcbride, and it got me thinking. What if we did a study to see the actual effects of snowmobiles on caribou. Granted Cost would probably be extensive, but if fund raised for, i think the sledding community would put forth some cash. Heck if we'll pay $20 for a trail pass, then i think most would kick in $20 to hopefully open up the enclosures. Afterall its not just the fact that the closures are for nothing (as we know) but also the fact of how much money sledders pump into the towns of BC.

There is several ways we could do this, so any ideas would be awesome.

I was thinking have a coalition of all the clubs and maybe pool some ideas.

Anyone have any input?

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My input is that I'm in. We could set up an account at a bank and peeps could donate. Just list the names so the fakers don't get any recognition.

Ok I'm going to look into what we need to start a non-profit, maybe even get a tax exempt status?

The next would be getting a firm to do the study, perhaps a university or a company. If anyone has any names that would be awesome!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Looking To start Fundraiser to fund a study to see the effects of sleds on Caribo

The first step I would think would be to find out if this sort of study is even possible to do. There must be folks at SRD that could at least point you in the right direction. They are doing all sort of wildlife surveys all the time.

Last edited:

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Looking To start Fundraiser to fund a study to see the effects of sleds on Caribo

Talk with the Revy club, they are already working on this.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Another great guy to talk to is moyiesledhead. A guy very involved in land-use issues in the Cranbrook area and knowledgeable about the process; past and present.

I would be in to doo my part.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Another great guy to talk to is moyiesledhead. A guy very involved in land-use issues in the Cranbrook area and knowledgeable about the process; past and present.

I would be in a doo my part.

The studies have already been done. They're for the most part inconclusive. They show some displacement of Caribou, but haven't determined if that displacement is actually harmfull. Then they just ignore it and apply the "Precautionary Principle" anyway.

Just a little warning though......my little personal rule has been "Don't ask the question unless you already know the answer."

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The studies have already been done. They're for the most part inconclusive. They show some displacement of Caribou, but haven't determined if that displacement is actually harmfull. Then they just ignore it and apply the "Precautionary Principle" anyway.

Just a little warning though......my little personal rule has been "Don't ask the question unless you already know the answer."

So are you saying it is a losing battle anyways, make sure who ever does study, they have no part with the green people, lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So are you saying it is a losing battle anyways, make sure who ever does study, they have no part with the green people, lol

Nope. Just saying be carefull.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Great idea. My concern is that you spend a ton of dough on a study that does show what we already know (sledders have no effect on the mortality rates of caribou) and SRD ignores out of an abundance of caution as they need to look like they are doing something about the declining caribou population and sledders are the easiest target. It is all about optics not common sense. As long as a majority of the population believes sledders are redneck adrenaline junkies then we are the easiest target from a political perspective. Whether we are the cause of an environmental issue or not is irrelevant to the politicians and SRD. We are a convenient scape goat. What we need to do is change the image of the sledder by educating the general public whom do not sled. Events such as fundraisers like the one for The Mazankowski Heart Institute at Ministick, support of the Canandian Avalanche Association, club sponsored family rides and funding of positive studies that are more useful being released to the press than to those who would ignore them in any event are all ways we can change the public image of the sledder and once the politicians and bureaucrats figure out they cannot blame everything on the sledders anymore then areas will start to open.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The other thing to consider is what to do with the study once you have it completed. Remember, it won't be the first or only one. Go to the media with it??? They won't print anything unless it's sensational. A study that concludes snowmobiles have no effect on Caribou will have trouble making the back page. Go to the Politicians with it??? They'll just dump it in with hundreds of other studies on Caribou and still do what ever they think will get them re-elected. Go to the Ministry of Environment with it??? They're some of the worst environmental fact twisters out there, and they're gonna do what ever makes their jobs easier. They need to "look" like they're doing something to save them. Facts have no place in a conversation about Mountain Caribou.

None of this is supposition. It's all been learned the hard way. How we change it has not yet been learned....by me anyway. :confused:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Just send me your money and I'll fill your head with empty promises...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For anyone curious, this would be the one being spoken to.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/mc07kinley.pdf

That's an excellent study on the real cause of the Mountain Caribou decline done by a very good biologist. Here's my favorite quote from it:
Mortality occurred almost entirely in summer and
fall, mostly due to cougars and other predators

Here's a couple of studies more in line with what the guys are proposing here though.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Glad we dont have a caribou problem around here :)

Really??? Talk to the guys in Nakusp or Creston! Your world is really, really small huh!

Jeez.....can't believe I unblocked that post!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

That's an excellent study on the real cause of the Mountain Caribou decline done by a very good biologist. Here's my favorite quote from it:
Mortality occurred almost entirely in summer and
fall, mostly due to cougars and other predators

Here's a couple of studies more in line with what the guys are proposing here though.

possibly due, in part, to all the logging roads and logged areas? easier access for the cougars etc?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

possibly due, in part, to all the logging roads and logged areas? easier access for the cougars etc?

Exactly! Says that right there in the study.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of these Closures make no sense. Eg Frisby Ridge Revelstoke, there was 3caribou living up there last year, but they were all killed in an avalanche.

Now there are 0 caribou up there, yet still has a massive closure area.. make any sense to you?

f#ckin caribou.... No wait f#ckin stupid granollies....

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the shear contempt and anger towards Caribou and the blame put on them for something imposed on us by our elected officials might have something to do with the areas staying closed. Open the area and we "the sled community" can't be trusted to do right by the wildlife anyways as it is our right to hunt down the freshest powder, lines and chutes.

Nothing is worse then some tree hugging, granola crunching, fur loving activist yes but it becomes painfully apparent some of the posts on this thread are proof enough we need someone to tell us maybe it isn't a good idea to be in some areas. Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom