Looking to move to Okanagan

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Oliver BC & been living up in Cold Lake for past 25 yrs.
Worked Military for 21yrs fixing jets, then did a few other odd jobs around here. Now working back on jet aircraft as civilian.
Would like to move back to Okanagan & find some work around airports. Don't really want to work on aircraft anymore but would love to find something simple like aircraft refueling??

Anybody have recommendations on what towns, citys have decent sized airports to start looking at? Was just in Kamloops for the wk with our jets & liked the town. The refueling job & guys working there were great to talk to. Just like to find something similar job wise but more central & south then Kamloops.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kelowna has a vibrant aviation industry. I know you mentioned that you don't want to work on aircraft anymore but Kelowna Flight Craft is pretty large and probably has many different types of positions… Kelowna Flightcraft is now KF Aerospace

Good luck!

From Oliver BC & been living up in Cold Lake for past 25 yrs.
Worked Military for 21yrs fixing jets, then did a few other odd jobs around here. Now working back on jet aircraft as civilian.
Would like to move back to Okanagan & find some work around airports. Don't really want to work on aircraft anymore but would love to find something simple like aircraft refueling??

Anybody have recommendations on what towns, citys have decent sized airports to start looking at? Was just in Kamloops for the wk with our jets & liked the town. The refueling job & guys working there were great to talk to. Just like to find something similar job wise but more central & south then Kamloops.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I went to school in Oliver. Graduated back in 89.
And after this long don't want to train or go back to school on new aircraft. Pension from military is good & Id like a simple job that Im not stuffing my body into stupid locations to work on things anymore.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kelowna and Kamloops are the only larger airports (both international) but there are regional airports in Salmon Arm, Penticton, Osoyoos and Castlegar. I was going to mention Kelowna Flightcraft as well. They do a lot of retrofit work modernizing old aircraft.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is Alpine Helicopters and AeroTech, both in West Kelowna.
Alpine has a huge fleet of helicopters that they rent out to ski hill's and ski operations during winter and out to the government (forestry) for fire fighting in the summer. They do everything from basic hourly maintenance to major overhauls.
Aerotech not affiliated to Alpine also are involved in helicopters rebuilds and refitting. I have seen military copters at Aerotech many times.

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boat mechanic would be my choice in the valley. Lots of boats, marinas and water sports products. You could use your existing skills and perhaps not have to squeeze into such tight spots. Just a thought :)

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boat mechanic would be my choice in the valley. Lots of boats, marinas and water sports products. You could use your existing skills and perhaps not have to squeeze into such tight spots. Just a thought :)

Lol, have you ever worked on a v-drive? The word ' contortionist' comes to mind. I've found myself in some awful weird positions trying to work on mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So boat mechanic, what would you do in the winter time?
Yes they are busy right now but most of them lay off and some even shut down over the winter. Plus i hope you don't have a family and commitments cause, have you ever heard of the "sunshine tax"

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boats in summer sleds in winter. Are there no four seasons sports facilities anymore ? There was when I lived there.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boats in summer sleds in winter. Are there no four seasons sports facilities anymore ? There was when I lived there.

The boat dealers are not involved in the power sports, boats only. Some of the power sport dealer do carry water crafts in limited numbers but that's not really the same as you said, being a "Boat mechanic".

Banner Sea and Ski is pretty much the biggest player around Kelowna for water crafts.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I honestly was thinking something along the lines of refuelling aircraft. Simple pull hose & fill a plane.
I have valid class 1 licence so not an issue driving the smaller class3 trucks. Good hours & something I still like to be around is the aircraft.

If a guy was to move for a job in Kelwona. What's a good out of the city place to move? 1-2acres decent price??

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Homes in Kelowna and area are very expensive. The general area is expensive, more so then other areas except Vancouver.
Depending on your life style and what your looking for, as Bnorth mentioned up hyw33 and near Joe Rich are nice areas and cheaper but now 20min out of town.
Along west side road where i am, prices are more reasonable then Kelowna but again your heading out of town. Plus if your looking for employment at the air port being closer to it is a huge bonus as traffic here in the summer is F'n retarted, it gets nearly impossible to get around.
So Winfield, Lake country areas are your best bet and Rutland. In fact Vernon is another good option, Much cheaper then Kelowna, way less traffic and still 20min-30min from air port.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You might want to consider Castlegar in the Kootenays. Airport and all the amenities and there is a bonus...........................it is one of the best kept secrets for outdoor recreation. Not a crazy traffic area and the sledding, hunting, fishing, and quadding are awesome. Just something for you to think about.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you move to the OK , even if you have to pretend , you have to appear to be an expert on wine . Smell it , swirl it around and such as you drink it . Also brush up on herbs and home grown spices ....and such !

seriously, it's a nice area but a little busy and preppy for me .....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you move to the OK , even if you have to pretend , you have to appear to be an expert on wine . Smell it , swirl it around and such as you drink it . Also brush up on herbs and home grown spices ....and such !

seriously, it's a nice area but a little busy and preppy for me .....
Na, just don't give a crap to be all snot nose in the air and your golden

Definitely the farther south ya go the worse it is, Kelowna is pretty much cowtown in my mind

Top Bottom