Looking to get a drone..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flew the brothers phantom 4 at the farm last week and got some cool vids and still photos, over 20 minutes flying it in -25c temps..got me thinking about doing some crop surveillance in the summer and some great videos in the winter sledding, And video climbing some shoots..:D

local Best Buy was telling me the mavic pro was just released it produces up to 4K video.. with obstacle advoidance and personal tracking, and 22 minute battery life and very compactable for back packs, or easy storage..

also mentioned the phantom 4 pro, what will give better pictures, four sided advoidance and all around better cam, but not compactable..

must be be a few guys here with some good info on this.. maybe anther drone that would be better suited..

Thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you get and how you like it fred. I am think crop checking as well. Tired of walking through tit deep mustard to look for bugs or disease. Lol.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of distance range can you get for say a $3000 unit?

Really thinking I need one.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a phantom 3 pro 4K video. I can go over a mile. Depending on interference. If you're standing in at the side of the field and it had nothing in the way i would guess 1.5 miles. Height is a different story, laws and regulations restrict that. Nice thing with mine, i flew above the field and you can see germination easily. Discer ridges, wet spots, sand its endless. I can even fly low enough and get close enough to see the crop itself. The phantom is a proven chassis, can survive crashes. No moving parts other then the props and the gimbal. And parts are easy to get. I have a backpack for mine, and a hard pelican case. The main thing with batteries is keeping them warm. When its in use it creates heat. But if you bring spare batteries, keep a hand warmer in the backpack or case near the batteries to keep them at temp.

I personally would recommend getting a Phantom over the new Mavic. If you're doing any agricultural work, you are not going to be taking it off in perfect conditions. The landing gear is too short on the Mavic. If there's anything that isn't level that gimbal is going to hit it(grass, dirt, rocks). Let alone the moving parts in the folding arms. Not worth it in my opinion.

Just get the Phantom i think.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I opted for the Phantom 4 over the Mavic, I like the idea of a compact packable drone, but a pelican case on the back of a sled solves that problem. Not to mention moveable arms on a drone could be a disaster, But its up to you either will do a fantastic job, from a photo standard the P4 Pro has a much nicer camera while the P4 and mavic are pretty much equal.

I wouldnt steer away from DJI though if i were you, big company with proven software, there is a lot of new stuff on the market this year and its all unproven. DJI while the owner is a douche, they do have a nice product...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a Inspire X5
Around 3600.00

Already got my drone license and permits to fly within airports and restricted air space.

Don't want a ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Chroma with 4k gimble camera this summer. Came with 2 batteries that last about 30 minutes in summer. Also came packed in a pelican case. Be a little awkward on sled but sure nice on quad or sxs. Takes some pretty awesome pictures.
Still have my "learners license". Haha. Supposed to be able to download software and extend the parameters on it but I will wait till I am more comfortable flying it from screen instead of visual. Right now it is 600 ft high and 700 ft away.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Lily, pretty versatile and doesn't require much hand on experience. Down fall is you don't really control it

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hubsan 501C. Was only $350.00 and you get what you pay for.
You guys do know those DJI with 4k camera will only display in 4k if you have a 4k TV right. DJI have some Phantoms for real good price with camera that has awesome resolution just not 4k.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I bought a Hubsan 501C. Was only $350.00 and you get what you pay for.
You guys do know those DJI with 4k camera will only display in 4k if you have a 4k TV right. DJI have some Phantoms for real good price with camera that has awesome resolution just not 4k.
Shooting in 4K gets you that much more resolution so when you bring it up on the computer to view it, you can easily zoom in and still keep better resolution. You can shoot in 4K crop down to a 1080p picture. Compare picture sizes. You get that much more into a 4K image. Well worth it in my opinion when you're going for little details.

1419854246107.jpg

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own 3 phantoms and 1 mavic and the mavic is way better and has 7km range. Landing gear is not an issue I just land on my hand . Smaller size and much better controller seals the deal

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Typhoon H drone I love it has retractable landing gear full 360 degree camera that can spin right around about 19 min flight time the camera and video is amazing has so many features I have no idea how to run them all lol It has 6 props so if you lose a motor during flight you can land it safely you can't with the 4 prop ones they crash so many too choose from they all have there pros and cons

Attachments

• 正前-To%20client-0216%20copy%202-15c312fb.png
    正前-To%20client-0216%20copy%202-15c312fb.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 138

Chunk

Reaction score
I have a Typhoon H drone I love it has retractable landing gear full 360 degree camera that can spin right around about 19 min flight time the camera and video is amazing has so many features I have no idea how to run them all lol It has 6 props so if you lose a motor during flight you can land it safely you can't with the 4 prop ones they crash so many too choose from they all have there pros and cons

Fred tends to lose lots of motors. This is probably the best one for the tow out.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife bought me a beginner drone for xmas. Flew out of range on day 5 and by the time I got to the landing area, someone had scooped it up. I guess they can order the transmitter and battery charger online.
I'm hooked though and picked up a Phantom 3 Standard from Best Buy while they still had it on sale for $499. I bought the Litchi app which will give it the same functionality of the Pro. You can create flight paths with waypoints (missions) and let it go without the controller. Not sure I trust anything enough to watch it fly away and hope it comes back. Now I'm waiting for the temperature to improve so I can out and fly.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife bought me a beginner drone for xmas. Flew out of range on day 5 and by the time I got to the landing area, someone had scooped it up. I guess they can order the transmitter and battery charger online.
I'm hooked though and picked up a Phantom 3 Standard from Best Buy while they still had it on sale for $499. I bought the Litchi app which will give it the same functionality of the Pro. You can create flight paths with waypoints (missions) and let it go without the controller. Not sure I trust anything enough to watch it fly away and hope it comes back. Now I'm waiting for the temperature to improve so I can out and fly.

That's one thing I like about the Chroma....you can run it as hard as you want away and when it hits it's outer marker it stops and hovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom