Looking for your reviews on Ford Ecoboost

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a 14 F-150 and don't know wether to stick with a V8 or go with the Ecoboost? Are they better than the V8? Are you guys having any issues with them? How many km are on so far? Any input would be great!

P.s. I'm not concerned with the claimed fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a couple buddies that run them and love them. They say it doesnt downshift even when towing stuff compared to the chevy. Which is true but has me questioning the longevity of the drive terrain.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 5 l f150 2014. I had a 2011 Eco boost with 82000km and it only stumbled once during acceleration it got slightly better mileage than the 5l and is more powerful.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 5 l f150 2014. I had a 2011 Eco boost with 82000km and it only stumbled once during acceleration it got slightly better mileage than the 5l and is more powerful.

What made you go to a V8? Any reason in particular or just decided to give it a try?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind spending some dough buy a v8 and then buy a turbo.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Verdict is still out on my buddies machines as they arent real old

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind spending some dough buy a v8 and then buy a turbo.

I'm not looking to do any aftermarket work to it. It will more than likely stay stock.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to do any aftermarket work to it. It will more than likely stay stock.

Right.....we were going fishing one day and were pulling the boat with their ecoboost and talking about all the power. Told them my '13 chevy could beat them. got on the phone and found a turbo for my v8.......guess it will have to beat the ecoboost while its stock I guess!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was another thread on here that talked about them quite a bit. One guy was a fleet manager and said he has had over a thousand of them up to 140k km with no major issues. I drove a 5L and an ecoboost back to back last week and the eco is nicer hands down. Makes a lot more torque at a lot lower rpm so it doesn't downshift as much as the 5L or rev as high to make power, feels almost like a diesel. Apparently it is much nicer to tow with due to having more smoother torque but the 5L gets a bit better mileage towing. Only plus for the 5L is that it sounds a lot better.

calltrex

Reaction score
Did u look at the new dodge with ecodiesel? Will be my next truck

My friend got 1100km on his first tank. 100liters I believe

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did u look at the new dodge with ecodiesel? Will be my next truck

My friend got 1100km on his first tank. 100liters I believe
I've driven the ecodiesel too and it feels very similar to the ecoboost with nice usable torque.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a diesel. They are a higher cost of maintenance for service and any shop work.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a diesel. They are a higher cost of maintenance for service and any shop work.

I doubt there would be much difference in maintenance costs between the ecoboost and ecodiesel, they are both small direct injection turbo charged motors.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, not much. But they do hold twice as much oil, have DEF, 2 fuel filters and then the price of diesel in winter in the $1.40 Mark which still hasn't come down a whole lot. It also can't tow as much as the GM or Ford, not that I'll tow near the dodge's rating.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had my ecoboost for a month now. I can only compare it to my 04 avalanche.
So far it's been great. I'm getting used to the quiet engine noise. It's a bit bigger than the avalanche and doesn't turn as sharp. I'm learning to park again.
This truck launches when you put your foot into it. I don't stomp on it often so it's a surprise every time. I'm a conservative driver and usually drive the speed limit in the city and between 110 and 120 on the highway. First tank was 110 litres and I got 891 kilometres out of it. I'm pretty happy.
I am looking forward to towing the 2 place trailer this year. The avalanche would kick down quite a bit on hills and head winds killed me. Even driving unloaded the Eco doesn't kick down at all on the few hills to and from work. It's always under 2000 rpm on my commute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/tow-vehicles-rvs-trailers-accessories-them-77/5-0l-ecoboost-89007.html

I asked the same question prior to buying mine. So far I really like it.

I drove the 5.0L as well and the only thing I liked about it was the sound. It didn't have nearly the 'shove you back in your seat' feel that the Eco had. On the highway, I usually get about 11 litres per 100km, which I am ok with. It's good as long as you baby that pedal. Better than my 5.3.

I have pulled the same boats, trailers with a Chevy 6.0L 2500, my old Chev 5.3 and my current Ford. I would tow with the Eco before either of these. Just chugs along nicely around 2000rpm, which I like. The fuel consumption seems to get better the longer I have it. Have about 10,000 on mine now.

Go for the Eco. Make sure you have a side of extended warranty with that. Just me though. I'm more comfortable with 5 years bumper to bumper.

01Sharp

Reaction score
I've had 2 Eco boosts, a 2012 that I put 94,000 km on in 13 months then traded off. No issues other than the turbo getting too much condensation in it. Problem free truck. Got a 2013 with 60,000 km on it, no issues. Both trucks had lots of power, decent mileage but not whats advertised. I'm going with another one this spring.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just about bought one but i decided on the new gm instead, to me anyway it seemed liked a much nicer truck all around, not as much torque i know but i only tow from time to time.
The ford to me just seemed plain and theyre do for a revamp

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 14 eco boost 8200 gvw and a 12 6.2L 7700 gvw. They are both powerful half tons if I could only keep one it would be the 6.2, just love the nascar sound of the motor revving to 6000rpm. Eco is a torque monster but sounds like a sowing machine. Eco long term average 15.5L/100, 6.2L is 16.5/100. The eco will do 11.5-12L/100 if you drive 105 or so. Never considered the 5.0, I pull with these trucks and the 5 torque curve never appealed to me at 2500 rpm the 5 is making 240ftlbs, 6.2 325 ftlbs and eco 420ftlbs.

Top Bottom