Looking for trail from Bruderheim to Waskatenau, alberta

yamahaguy64

Reaction score
A bunch of friends and I are planning a run this Saturday (March 12th) from Bruderheim, Alta to Waskatenau, Alberta.

I've driven that way on the highway many times, but am looking for information on any established "trails/paths" for this route and also the best place to cross the river, using snowmobiles.

Appreciate any info that you may have.

thanks,
Yamahaguy64

p.summit

Reaction score
I've heard from other riders that a good place to cross the N.sask river is an old ferry crossing it would be east of Bruderhiem more like Lamont north once you cross the river continue to head North you will end up at Warspite then you can take the fields to Waskatenau.(as well the Iron Horse Trail runs through Warspite/Waskatenau.) Once you cross the river you can ride the river flats south west to redwater area or north east to Smoky Lake. I've been riding the river flats on the North side looks like if you can find a pipeline crossing you might be able to rip across. I seen tracks along the North river side last weekend. I was going to do some riding in that area on sunday some fields have been un touched all winter.. fantastic riding... If you check out a county map you may be able to see some roads/trails that lead to the river. Google maps works good.

yamahaguy64

Reaction score
thanks for the info...

It sounds like you know where you're going.....

I've been skidooing around the Bruderhiem-Lamont Area for many years, but only have ventured as far as Andrew (going east) and that was going up to Star and then taking the old rail-line to Andrew.

I'll take a look on google map and see what I can find....

Are you from the area or live in the area?

Yguy64

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info...

It sounds like you know where you're going.....

I've been skidooing around the Bruderhiem-Lamont Area for many years, but only have ventured as far as Andrew (going east) and that was going up to Star and then taking the old rail-line to Andrew.

I'll take a look on google map and see what I can find....

Are you from the area or live in the area?

Yguy64

I grew about 8 miles away from the bruderhiem natural area on a farm. Ive been to smokey, warspite,andrew areas. Ill double check when i get home from work this morning on my maps of where exactly the trails are to hook up with!.

yamahaguy64

Reaction score
I grew about 8 miles away from the bruderhiem natural area on a farm. Ive been to smokey, warspite,andrew areas. Ill double check when i get home from work this morning on my maps of where exactly the trails are to hook up with!.

Ram4Tow....would be interested on hearing what you find out.

I don't want to have to follow the highway and be a ditch jumper...not much fun in that. I like the wide open fields.

Yguy64

yamahaguy64

Reaction score
I've heard talk of a cabin around Smoky Lake....that people from the Fort will skidoo to.

Anybody know how to find that as well.

thanks

p.summit

Reaction score
I grew up south of Radway close to the N. Sask river been sledding that area for 10-15 years now or since i was a kid. We always rode those fields along the river,most are treed in enough to hold all the snow exellent places to run some small hills, and do some carving. Last weekend i found loads of snow that was untouched. I would meet up with you guys but, sunday works better for me. A nice place to start is around the vinka bridge then ride the flats all the way to smoky lake. Its best if you have someone to kind of guide you easier to get through tree lines and river crossings. If you ride straight north from Bruderhiem then hit the river scout out a pipeline crossing might be the best way to cross the river.

Let me know if you want to ride sunday.. i could show you some good riding..

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys from the "south" cross the river approx 6 miles east of hwy 831. If you go east of the "Delph Hall" approx 3 miles to where the road curves to the south RR 184...head down the hill there to the river and that is where they cross......or straight north of hwy 45 on the "St Michael road" (RR 184)approx 9 miles to where the road takes a sharp turn to the west.

This will bring you almost straight south of Warspite.

There is usually lots of tracks heading to the west from that crossing that will take you west along the river then north into Waskatenau where you can get fuel or have a meal at the Petro Canada

Hope this helps:):)

yamahaguy64

Reaction score
I grew up south of Radway close to the N. Sask river been sledding that area for 10-15 years now or since i was a kid. We always rode those fields along the river,most are treed in enough to hold all the snow exellent places to run some small hills, and do some carving. Last weekend i found loads of snow that was untouched. I would meet up with you guys but, sunday works better for me. A nice place to start is around the vinka bridge then ride the flats all the way to smoky lake. Its best if you have someone to kind of guide you easier to get through tree lines and river crossings. If you ride straight north from Bruderhiem then hit the river scout out a pipeline crossing might be the best way to cross the river.

Let me know if you want to ride sunday.. i could show you some good riding..

We will be starting out actually south of Vinca Bridge....(about 4 miles) and then we weren't sure of the best way. I grew up about 5 miles south of Vinca Bridge along with another friend. The two of us are organizing it....there are about 4-5 machines going. I ride an '06 Nitro ER..and my friend rides a '99 Mach Z LT.

Unfortunately Sunday doesn't work for us. My friend is a family man....so he has the wife and kids to look after. Sunday is a rest day usually for me.

p.summit

Reaction score
Cat401 is right i'm sure if you follow his directions you will be aable to cross and make it to Warspite, hotel has a fireplace and cold ones.. Waskatenau is only a few miles form there Petro Canada good place to fuel up or have lunch or you can push it to the Radway hotel awesome food if he is open.

Take a copy of the area from google maps.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lamont River Rats have a stealth trail from Lamont to Warspite. You need a guide to follow the markings. Its there somewhere I`m sure. May need to hire a Indian Scout to find it.

yamahaguy64

Reaction score
The guys from the "south" cross the river approx 6 miles east of hwy 831. If you go east of the "Delph Hall" approx 3 miles to where the road curves to the south RR 184...head down the hill there to the river and that is where they cross......or straight north of hwy 45 on the "St Michael road" (RR 184)approx 9 miles to where the road takes a sharp turn to the west.

This will bring you almost straight south of Warspite.

There is usually lots of tracks heading to the west from that crossing that will take you west along the river then north into Waskatenau where you can get fuel or have a meal at the Petro Canada

Hope this helps:):)

thanks for the info.....I'm familiar with Hwy45 and will make a note of what info you're passing on.

Yguy64

p.summit

Reaction score
how did you guys make out on sat? today we rode the river all the way to warspite its like a hiway.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
We rode from Morinville today to the Vinca bridge. Great ride. Pics were taken on the west side of the vinca bridge. Here is also a map that I took a picture of at the Smokey Lake staging area that shows some of the routes....

:beer::beer::beer:

Attachments

• vinca bridge.jpg
    vinca bridge.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 108
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 126

p.summit

Reaction score
Is that trans canada trail groomed? and is it marked? might like to ride it to Boyle one day. Lots of good riding east of long lake area.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes, the transcanada trail was groomed from just east of Smoky Lake and north to the pipeline(which was like a highway) and then on to Boyle. We were there on saturday. Did about 300 km's this weekend....

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
TCST should be maintained in that section by the Smoky Lake Club. There is a gap between Skeleton Lake and Athabasca that the ASA is trying to have filled to make a continuos trail from Cold Lake West.

You could call Shannon at the ASA office 780-427-2695 and she can put you in contact with local club members for more info.

Hope that helps

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Here is a video I shot this last saturday March 12 of the transcanada trail from north of Smokey Lake to the pipeline....

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXPY-bkRZuE[/YT]

:beer::beer::beer:

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, the transcanada trail was groomed from just east of Smoky Lake and north to the pipeline(which was like a highway) and then on to Boyle. We were there on saturday. Did about 300 km's this weekend....

Great ride/s again Duck! The areas out there are fantastic! Cheers!

Top Bottom