Looking for torque specs - 900 RMK Chaincase

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am changing the gears on my 900 and I can't find the torque specs for the sprocket bolts in the deep snow service manual.
Anyone?

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
The bottom 3/8 bolt you need to put a little blue locktite on it and torque it to 17-20 foot lbs. Don't use red locktite.:nono: The top snug up good and tight, until you can get the cotter pin in. What are you changing the gearing to. I got 900 166" and was just thinking:rolleyes: of trying something different.:d. But not sure were to start.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say the 19/43 combo works great on these sleds. This combo does require a longer chain though.
There are some who have used 18/40 without any problems and you can use the stock chain. I'm going to try 18/40 and test it this Friday at Quartz.

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Hey mac900 how did the new gearing work out for you.
Been riding Keystone and Sale the last 3 days. Lots of fresh 3' on Sale yesterday and about 1.5' on Keystone today.:d. Had to have a couple :beer::beer: each night on the days ridding.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the gearing was a good change. The sled definitely launched harder. It felt very snappy. I didn't look at my speedo when climbing but when I crested the top it would hook up and pull hard and found myself backing off on the throttle.
I completely forgot to check how warm my clutches were after climbing to see if it helped there. I won't ride again until dec 13th so I'll have to wait.
I had changed my torsion springs to heavy duty springs too and I think for my weight it didn't help. I lost lots of traction on the hardpack.
I changed the front track spring to the 225# and the front end felt lighter. I love how this sled eats the bumps on the trail too.

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
So you think you got more track speed know. If you need to what until DEC13 to figure out if it does go better in the deep:d. I will what for a reply until then. Have a good one.:)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be riding Saturday so we'll see how deep it is and I'll keep and eye on my track speed.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far I like the gearing change. The sled pulls harder and launches much quicker. I haven't done a good climb and checked out the speedo yet. On the trail I can still hit the mid 70 mph. I didn't try for top speed since was following someone I didn't know. Going to try and ride Silent Pass on Dec 11th. I have to find a rear track shock before I go anywhere though. Mine is completely toast.

9hundo

Changing to a 19/42 works very well too and you can use the stock chain:beer: Sorry the springs didn't work for ya Mac

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Hey Mac woundering how the gearing is still working for you. Some sleds need to buy a different chain if you go to a 19/42 chain. Mine comes stock with a 19/39. So to a 18/40 wouldn't have to buy chain. But larger bottom would have to. So any how did you get to try it in some deeper pow pow yet on some good pulls.:d:d

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't made it out yet. I was supposed to have a 3 day sledding weekend but on Thursday night my sled popped out a "service engine" code. Took it to cycleworks on Friday morning to find the problem. I'm so sick of that dealership. I called at 9 am. They said they could get it in right away. I asked before I left when they would look at it. They said should be right away. Waited around and BS'd with the sales guy. 30 minutes later they hadn't got to it. Fine. I decide to head and grab an early lunch. I called around 12:30. Haven't looked at it yet. I end up going xmas shopping to kill some time. At 2:00, I phone again and I'm told the guys are just getting back from lunch and will look at it right away. Yeah right! 3:30 they call meand tell me they think it's my exhaust temp probe. I'm so pissed that I took it there. I live in the south end so I could have run it out to high river just as fast. You would think with the crappy economy bearing down and cycleworks ridiculous daytime hours that their customer service would be just a bit better. So by the time they call I'm already heaading home and in the snow storm we had on Friday, it was too late to turn around. There's my rant for the day. No more cycleworks for me, I was hoping to get away on Saturday morning but that wasn't going to happen.
Now, I'm not sure if I can get away until after the 24th. I'm really itching to get out too. I bought a complete set of 09 walker evans shocks from Carl's Cycle in Idaho for $400. I had the shocks to my door in just over 24 hours. My original shocks have over 3400 miles so it was time for a change. I'll keep you posted. I went to 18/40 so I could keep my original chain. The 05 has a longer chaincase so there is a difference when talking about gearing for an 05 and 06 with stock chains.

Top Bottom