Looking for some advice on where to ride

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking to take out a group of novice riders this weekend. I am a long time and experienced rider myself but i will have my girlfriend and a couple others with me that are very much rookies.

Any advice on where to ride in the Cataract Creek area? I have never rode the area at all. I am also looking for directions out to the staging and wanted to ensure i can get out there pulling a 28ft trailer.

Any advice helps!

Cheers :beer:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking to take out a group of novice riders this weekend. I am a long time and experienced rider myself but i will have my girlfriend and a couple others with me that are very much rookies.

Any advice on where to ride in the Cataract Creek area? I have never rode the area at all. I am also looking for directions out to the staging and wanted to ensure i can get out there pulling a 28ft trailer.

Any advice helps!

Cheers :beer:

You shouldn't have any problem getting to the Cataract or Etherington staging areas. They are campgrounds/ day use areas in the summer so they're built to accommodate large units. The Cataract staging area has a camp kitchen right in the parking lot that you get get a fire going in to use as a warm up shelter.

The trails are pretty beginner friendly however there is no grooming out there this year so they do get pretty beat up.

Here's a map to the Cataract Staging area:
[MAP]http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Calgary,+Alberta&daddr=50.40557,-114.51751+to:Township+Road+154A&geocode=FYjiCgMd-p8z-SnVP4SfA3BxUzE6tlK2sTttJg%3BFcIgAQMd-pks-Sk7Ekx5JTZwUzH3iwuZi3BXGw%3BFTZA_wIdxn4r-Q&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&sll=50.611755,-114.27967&sspn=1.40133,3.56781&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=9[/MAP]

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, trails are fairly beat up at the north end for sure, was out last weekend. didn't try the south though, they may be better.

so from longview go west on hwy 541 which turns into hwy 40. at the road closure go south on hwy 940 (your only option). hwy 940 is snow covered gravel. right after the turn at the 5km mark is the etherington staging area. in etherington just in a little is a big open field and the trails go out from it. there is a warming shack (which won' be warm unless YOU start fire in it) there with lots of picnic tables and fire pits around.

if you continue down hwy 940 you will end up at the cataract staging area. the warming shelter (which won' be warm unless YOU start fire in it) is in the parking lot. lots of picnic tables and fire pits around this staging area too.

as mentioned above, both lots are huge and turning an enclosed will not be an issue.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of maps posted at the trail junctions too....makes it a snap to find your way around...which is important if your leading and trying to lead others

And when your on hwy 940.....the road is crowned quite a bit its easy to slip off...so dont get too close the edges......the corners come up fast too watch your speed with a larger trailer....

have fun !

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. Should be a good time, looks like there is a little bit of everything around there without being in areas that will make too much trouble for people learning to ride.

Now i just have to hope i am not digging everyone out all day! :)

Cheers!!!:beer:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. Should be a good time, looks like there is a little bit of everything around there without being in areas that will make too much trouble for people learning to ride.

Now i just have to hope i am not digging everyone out all day! :)

Cheers!!!:beer:

As long as you stick to trails...and not go off into the cut blocks you wont be doing any digging.....

The logging road is good start for a novice group..its wide and goes a long way and gives access to many of the main trails

this is from the etherington staging area

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/cafehusky/?action=view&current=ether1.mp4

and the logging road

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/kingfisher2010/?action=view&current=feb5lostcreekrd.mp4

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to blairmore the snowcrow riders are having a poker rally on sat. and there are a lot of trails to ride just a 1/2 hour more to travel than cataract were leaving friday morning

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a non mountain ride, Byemoore is having a snowmobile rally this Sunday and they have good snow :) Have a great time no matter where you are !

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
polarice what do you want me to say that line makes no sense will stop by and have a beer after the rally

looks like he wants you to say "ill be around the sign in trailer";);)

i think we both know what he meant to say!! stop by and say "HI"

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ducati - did you make it out, how was it??

We ended up riding around a a friend's house instead since it was so #@**@(!'ing cold out. Gonna try to head down next weekend and will be with the normal guys i ride with this time.

Top Bottom