Looking for smallest, lightest avalanche backpack

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have looked and googled alot but i want different opinions on the lightest smallest avalanche pack. i want one that carries my shovel, probe and is comfortable to wear and doesnt effect beacon placement. i hate the weight of a pack but i know thw importance of having one. any input would be great. thanks!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i have looked and googled alot but i want different opinions on the lightest smallest avalanche pack. i want one that carries my shovel, probe and is comfortable to wear and doesnt effect beacon placement. i hate the weight of a pack but i know thw importance of having one. any input would be great. thanks!

Now that's a new twist. I don't have an avi pack but I doo know that even the smallest ones have room for the shovel, handle and a probe. The ease of getting out the beacon, I'm not sure. None of my buddies have ever said anything negative about that process and I have not paid attention to that process. You will get some users to respond and then you will read their info. Good luck.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have this pack. Nice and small....don't even know it's there. I hate backpacks too...so I only carry a shovel and a probe and a small first aid kit in this pack.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I dont fully understand your methodiology, I hope you dont mean you wear your beacon in your pack? The beacon is to be worn on your person, in the chance that your pack gets removed by an avy you dont want people finding your pack without you strapped to it. But I'm sure your smarter then that.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, the beacon is on me, properly. i've rented packs that the straps/ centre straps interferred with where i could put the beacon. had a nice beacon sized bruise after a gravity induced handlebar impact lol.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://www.avivest.com/

H
ere's your answer my friend.. No backpack at all. Room for a shovel and probe just no room for your sandwiches or beverages .. hope you like being hungry and thirsty :p

Saw one on the hill once .. I would never bother with one myself. I like having my gadgets and food and extra layers and spare goggles and my big ass airbag covering my head and neck.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all heavy and I know what you are saying about the beacon particularly when you wear a tek vest. I started wearing my beacon on my side vs right in front and it seems better...my wife rides with the ABS I thinnk the 15litre...basically just enough for shovel, probe, spare gloves. Not enough space for me but makes it a bit lighter.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a small ABS pack, think it's called a Freeride it is quite comfortable, but you still notice that you have it on. If I was looking for a new one, the avi vest would be at the top of my list.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear the smallest ABS pack, the freeride. has enough room to put a spare set of gloves a few energy bars and a spare thermal shirt... and of course the shovel and probe. if I pack it FULL FULL FULL to the brim it's still lighter than a lot of other Avy packs I tried on and fits REALLY nicely... I've never had it get in the way of getting my beacon out, I wear mine right at my stomach... looks like I have a heck of a gut in the pictures but comes out quickly if i need it and I leave my pack ON just in case something else lets loose!

ratpak

Reaction score
ABS Freeride is compact, comfortable and doesn't get in the way. It's also shorter than most packs out there. And it hasn't interfered with my beacon either. I have the mammut pulse and where it off to the side. I hate big backpacks too and with the freeride, I easily forget I'm wearing it...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Avi Tek Vest.....why would I carry all my food and water if I have a bag on the sled! it holds everything I need in an emerency.....oh and it has saved the ribs more than once last witer! It also keeps me warmer!

JLARSH

Reaction score
I have the float 30 and have also worn the free ride from abs. I found the float 30 felt lighter(even though it's not lighter than the free ride) because of shoulder strap design or my build don't really know. I dont usually pack lite either and i find i forget that's its even on my back. You can look at all the specs on weight you want but till you throw one on you will never know. My pack probably weighs between 9 and 15 lbs but like i said i dont even notice it. I also have an HMK pack that I sometimes take ditch bangin,it at most weighs 3 lbs but I notice it alot more just because of the fit being not as good as the float 30. If you can go try a few on and see what you think.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Began wearing the new BCA Float 18 mid winter last season. Very comfortable, packed all I need to including shovel, probe, gloves and goggs. Food and drink plus safety gear. Love this pack and the fact I can have cartridge refilled at dive or paintball shop same day for a 5-10 dollar fee.
Link to a pic of it in Action
PHOTOS | THUNDERSTRUCK FILMS OFFICIAL WEBSITE

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have the Avi Tek Vest. I used for about 1 month last year and really enjoyed it.

I always wore a Tek Vest under my previous pack - and it was very unwieldy and bulky. The Avi Tek Vest solved that. I have a bag on my sled for the food, etc. I just carry some minimal survival supplies in the vest and that is it

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys. ended up with a vest fro snow pulse. lots of good features. weight distribution is key. very comfortable

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another small one is the snow pulse free ride 10 got one for my gf last winter from a.s.s they were the only place i could find them in north america, weight it with shovel and probe and its under 10 lbs, backpack by it self was 7 # ish
only has enuf room for a bottle of H20 and a sandwich though

Top Bottom