Looking For A Spot For My Son To Ride His PW50 Around/Near Edmonton!?

GDUP780

Reaction score
My Son is 3 years Old and riding with no training wheels looking for a spot with not much sand around or near Edmonton. Any Help would be awesome!!!;)

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Iron Horse trail might be a good place for him to get some miles under his belt. The trail is generally in excellent condition so there's not too many ways he can get himself into trouble but he cattle stays might be a pain in the butt since he probably won't be able to climb them and you'll probably have to open and close the gate for him.

The trail starts in Waskateneu, but stage from Smokey Lake instead and head East - much more scenic from Smokey.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Iron Horse trail might be a good place for him to get some miles under his belt. The trail is generally in excellent condition so there's not too many ways he can get himself into trouble but he cattle stays might be a pain in the butt since he probably won't be able to climb them and you'll probably have to open and close the gate for him.

The trail starts in Waskateneu, but stage from Smokey Lake instead and head East - much more scenic from Smokey.

Cripes, my bad. I keep forgetting that the Iron Horse doesn't allow dirt bikes.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have never guessed that rules for dirt bikes would be different from any other OHB, but...
Cars, trucks, jeeps, motor bikes and dirt bikes are not authorized to use the Iron Horse Trail. You can receive a fine (up to $1000) for driving on the trail.

ABOMB177

Reaction score
I would have never guessed that rules for dirt bikes would be different from any other OHB, but...

Why would dirtbikes not be allowed? doesnt make any sense. Is it just the bikes without headlights and taillights? Anyone know?

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would dirtbikes not be allowed? doesnt make any sense. Is it just the bikes without headlights and taillights? Anyone know?

Nope, it's all bikes - on or off road - and all street vehicles. I'm wondering if it's just a speed (and possibly noise) issue.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
personally I think its got to due with erosion, lights, and spark arresters. It covers a pretty large area and is hard to enforce, so I think they just make it a blanket rule... But honestly I have seen plenty of dirtbikes on the trail

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, it's all bikes - on or off road - and all street vehicles. I'm wondering if it's just a speed (and possibly noise) issue.

I was told by the lady I've been dealing with at the IHT that its a policing thing.....

The Iron Horse Trail allows registered OHV, horse riders, hikers and cyclists. We realize there is a small percentage of dirt bikes an dual sport bikes that are registered as OHV’s but the policing becomes impossible for us. At this time, no dirt or dual sport bikes are allowed.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I have seen this at a few places. they figure bikes cause more erosion, and its such a big area, policing is almost impossible, so they just make it a blanket policy of no bikes.... but let me tell ya, there are bikes on that trail. I don't think they enforce it to sternly

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly think they would have a hard time in court trying to claim a dirtbike registered and insured as an OHV is not an OHV

they want to keep the ones that aren't off and as such they have had to just ban all bikes for now.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been on the IHT several times. seen lots of bikes. even a few trucks! Pickups are certainly not OHV's!

they said its a policing thing, just like every where, not enough officers to enforce rules.......

GDUP780

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks a lot!! dose anyone have a Pin for IHT location??

Top Bottom