Looking for a new truck (titan, tundra, silverado, ram 1500?)

09FordFx4

Reaction score
The whole frame thing has been blown WAY out of proportion.

There is no frame issue unless you push your truck beyond it's intended use. Just like anything.

-Posted with my iPhone.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha .. I bet . i've just heard second hand info

but here on a sledding site, none of us ever push any of our machines beyond their intended use ;) do we ????

09FordFx4

Reaction score
I'm on several Raptor forums, there's one in particular (raptorforumz) where a few members have blown the thing out of proportion. I know a few guys that were in te raptor run where several frames were damaged. It was due to hitting a certain obstacle at to high of a speed. Think of hitting a foot high curb at 75+MPH.

It's actually a hood thing the frame bent, otherwise the trucks back end woulda bucked up and sent the thing out of control possibly rolling. This is a prime example of why it's a good idea to run the course at low speeds and know the terrain before you decide to go all out.

That goes for any motorsport, sledding, quading, etc. Dont go crazy on unknown terrain or ch!t happens.

I just get a little upset when people think the raptor is a piece of junk simply because a few people, out of tens of thousands, were idiots and wrecked their frame.

-Posted with my iPhone.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i currently drive a 2008 Tundra limited, absolutely love it.

used to have a 2003 Tundra, it was a great truck. incredibly reliable.

a lot of guys talk chit about jap trucks, but they are just jealous of the superior build quality! :cool:

I sat in a tunder yesterday... im 6'2" i didn't fit... WTF... and checked out the titan it was more expensive... i love nissan but wouldn't pay more for a nissan that a toyota

Ol' Skool

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '06 Titan Crew Cab with offroad package. Owned it since new, and use it as a truck should be used pulls the boat in the summer, sleds in the winter, yard work etc etc. Havent had a seconds problem with it. Love everything about it. Great power, ride and durability.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford.
Them foreign things don't compare at all to American trucks. They look good on paper but they just can't compare.

-Posted with my iPhone.

I bought a 2000 4runner with 180000k on it and its now at 260000k. I beat it up and down rough bush roads because in the forest industry there is no money to properly maintain a road. I have taken it for oil changes...i knew original owner...it has never had a repair. It needs new bumpers and a muffler. The vehicle still feels news and tight.

My other vehicle is a 2007.5 GMC DM...has under 130000k my wife drives it around town and i use it for sledding and pulling my trailer. Spent around 1000 bucks on repairs plus some things under warranty. It has creaky doors and the windows are noisy when they roll down. All and all its not a bad truck but quality does not compare to the 2000 toyota. Its kind of like comparing a ski doo to a cat...cat;s are about 10yrs behind haha j/k. I owned this vehicle since new and paid 6X more than the yota. My brother has a 2009 ford SD diesel and it has been in the shop more than my GM. I owned a dodge dakota...it was a real pos all kinds of electrical issues before 60000k. Also owned chrysler cirrius...the ball joint fell apart and the wheel went sideways in the wheel well damaged fender etc etc. all under 100000k plus many other issues.

In my experience Japan vehicles are night and day better quality. Not to mention resale is much better.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so did ya get a tundra yet?? throw a supercharger on that thing and walk everyone else in the ford/dodge/chevs

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for Toyota City in Wetaskiwin. You get what you pay for. Toyota's are built to last....................lots of the oilfield has switched to the Tundra for that exact reason..........Tundra's are built tough...........and last. Want a good deal.............inbox me and I'll hook you up. I have said in other threads that I'm willing to put my name out there for those that want to by Toyota and get you the best deal out there. Our one sales guy is #1 in all of western canada and #4 in all of canada, because of the treatment our customers get, the honest and upfront pricing we give, and how Toyota lives up to the good reputation it has.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sat in a tunder yesterday... im 6'2" i didn't fit... WTF... and checked out the titan it was more expensive... i love nissan but wouldn't pay more for a nissan that a toyota

You didn't fit?!?!?!? I find that hard to believe as our #1 Sales guy is 6'3 and don't have an issue

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I been driving toyotas for over 20 years the build Quality is second to non. For 10 G though you would get a smaller engine in the tundra then the titan. I would still go with the Tundra. I beat the crap out of my landcuisers no issues other then rust the newer toyotas don't have that problem. (Just my 2 cents)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i lead ladydirt in the right direction now i will tell you the same......buy a titan, search out here thread on what to buy and take a read.....after owning a titan and having driven the rest of the 1/2 tons i will be a titan owner from here on out

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow where did this thread come from !! haha

been happy with my 2001 chev 2500HD for 1/3 of the price of a titan .. still rocking my deck with 2 sleds on it and room for an orgy with half the playboy playmates inside the cab. Beat that Nissan !!!

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Toyota built a 3/4 ton I would be all over it. I don't know why they don't rate the GVW on Tundra's higher. They can handle it. Can't legally (or safely) run a deck and 2 sleds on domestic 1/2 tons.

09FordFx4

Reaction score
If Toyota built a 3/4 ton I would be all over it. I don't know why they don't rate the GVW on Tundra's higher. They can handle it. Can't legally (or safely) run a deck and 2 sleds on domestic 1/2 tons.

Have you seen the frame on a tundra? It cant handle it....

Toyota used to make good trucks. Keyword being used to.

I take an old Toyota over an old American truck anyday.

Not newer ones though.

ScubaSteve29

Reaction score
I know I'm going to start up the Ford bashing, but why not a 2004-2008 F150? Probably cheaper then the Japanese trucks to buy for sure (I know when I was looking for mine they were), and I've had my '04 for 3.5 years and couldn't be happier with it. Also 3 of my good friends have an '05, '06, and '08 F150, and absolutely love their truck, and have spent a minimum time in the shop. Sure they might not be the segment leader on fuel, but it's a truck not a smart car. Also, for what you're going to pay, it's a very capable truck in the towing and payload categories.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take a look at the mid 2000 gmc or chev 1500hd's or 2500s. Bulletproof 6.0 litre v8 and overall reliability. Should be able to get a decent one for around 10k. Plus you get the higher payload as well

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get the new ram, I love it, use to be a gmc guy. The cab size, the power, the mileage. Love it. Love the heated/cooled seats and heated steering.

When i was looking, the fords were expensive at the time. The gms i had one and they seemed cheap and old compared to the ram. The Ram is not a perfect truck, but you get alot for the price. I matched a chevy 6.2 (basically a denali) to my ram option to option, and it was $6000 more. But heres the kicker the chevy had 18s not 20s, 31 inch tires not 33s, leaf spings not 5 link rear suspension, drum rear brakes not disk, heat seats vs heated/cooled/ heater steering wheel, the cab on the dodge is alot bigger and has a pleather dash and center console shifter.

The toyotas are nice, the radio and heater dials are a reach, seem more directed at the passenger and they have a small gas tank but i would buy one.

The current GMs are out dated, have cheap plastic interiors, small cabs. (i had a 08 gmc crew, HATED IT)

The titan is seriously out dated, they came out in 2003? congratulations on your 9 year old technology truck.

The fords, i like them. big cabs, nice interior and some cool motor packages like the 6.2 or the 3.5TT. I also really like the ford that you can get the heavy half. You get the quietness and ride of a 1500, and the auto 4x4 for winter but you get a bit more payload, and a 6.5 box on a crew cab.

Top Bottom