looking at getting back into the sport! help please!

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've had sleds all my life. When I was younger I had mostly 700 rmk 136 sleds. Did a good mix of 50/50 mountain riding/ at home playing in the river hills and ditches. Then I bought an 08 M8 153, and rode that in the same conditions.

I broke my leg/ had major shoulder injuries fall/winter of 09, and had to sell my sled. Since then, the wife and I have bought three Yamaha bravos for farting around with.

Looking at snow checking a new one this year, and I think I'll be going doo. I'm just not sure if I'll be doing much for mountain riding, but I'd like to keep that option open. I think I have decided on a 154, as its a good balance of both worlds. Heck, I had a blast on my 136 and 153 sleds, so this one should be awesome.

My question is, should I go x package or not? What are the real differences? Are they worth it?

Thanks so much for the insight guys!

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The X has better shocks, guage package and different handle bars. I think you can still get a 4 year warranty on the SP if you snocheck. Better resale on X models. I didn't like the orange SP last year so I went with the X. If I was buying again this year I would buy the black SP and put aftermarket shocks on it with the money I saved.

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The X has better shocks, guage package and different handle bars. I think you can still get a 4 year warranty on the SP if you snocheck. Better resale on X models. I didn't like the orange SP last year so I went with the X. If I was buying again this year I would buy the black SP and put aftermarket shocks on it with the money I saved.

Interesting idea, if you can order the SP with the warranty incentive, maybe ski-doo will get the hint that they should offer a bit more on the x package summits to get people to pay $450 extra, the years past and with the other '14 models you get considerably more. You could get an SP and put fox fronts on for like $200 more than an X.

X 154" $13,499
SP 154" $13,049

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski doo has Fox Float 2s front shocks in it's 2014 accessory catalogue for $700 and claim a 6 pound loss over coil spring shocks. The catalogue photo even shows them mounted on a black SP. You could probably get them cheaper than that.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know 3 guys that bought 136. Rode flat land only. Took them to the hills and now they are all upgrading to 154's at minimum. Told them all from day one to buy the 154. My opinion best sled for all conditions. Lol. But i wouldnt go anything less than 163.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the shocks the same except the X are rebuildable? I thought the internals were pretty much the same. Then the handlebars and some super badass looking stickers. You think its worth $450 more for those 3 things?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know 3 guys that bought 136. Rode flat land only. Took them to the hills and now they are all upgrading to 154's at minimum. Told them all from day one to buy the 154. My opinion best sled for all conditions. Lol. But i wouldnt go anything less than 163.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I snowchecked a 2012 Polaris 144. Took it to the mountains February that season for my first trip there. Got home, sold it, and snowchecked a 154 mountain sled. Even riding at home I don't mind the 154, and when snow is great it's amazing what a mountain sled will do.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't cheap out.... go for a 154 XM "X" model and be done with it..... better resale too, or faster resale anyway.

Hmmm... an X with stock KYBs or an SP with Raptors or Fox Floats... which would you choose?

Guys on the 2014 Skidoo post are saying that Martin's is putting Raptor front shocks on their X models at no extra charge. I'd be buying an X if that was the case.

Top Bottom