Looking at buying a Fuel Controller Box

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
I have a 08 M1000 with 900km. ECU has been reflashed to 09, I find it is really fat on the bottom end and mid as well. I can't tell about the top end.
I have what looks like a SLP Muffler (looks like a car muffler, has some sorta coating on it), Stock Y piple and Stock Pipe.

I have ordered a SLP Y pipe for the sled. MY dealer tells me I should be ok to install the Y pipe with the muffler with out a fuel controller box. For riding the mountains and around town (2200feet). He said if I install a pipe then I need a fuel controller box and clutching and also a fuel pressure regulator thingy.

Another friend who has all that stuff done to his m1 tells me if I get the Y pipe I will need a fuel controller box. So.. I am not sure, but it sounds like I'll need a box.

Does anyone have a recommendation of Fuel Controller Box I should buy with the slp muffler and slp y pipe for a 08 m1 with 09 ecu reprogramming? (everything else is stock)

Does anyone else think I could run the Y pipe with out the controller box?

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 M1000 with 900km. ECU has been reflashed to 09, I find it is really fat on the bottom end and mid as well. I can't tell about the top end.
I have what looks like a SLP Muffler (looks like a car muffler, has some sorta coating on it), Stock Y piple and Stock Pipe.

I have ordered a SLP Y pipe for the sled. MY dealer tells me I should be ok to install the Y pipe with the muffler with out a fuel controller box. For riding the mountains and around town (2200feet). He said if I install a pipe then I need a fuel controller box and clutching and also a fuel pressure regulator thingy.

Another friend who has all that stuff done to his m1 tells me if I get the Y pipe I will need a fuel controller box. So.. I am not sure, but it sounds like I'll need a box.

Does anyone have a recommendation of Fuel Controller Box I should buy with the slp muffler and slp y pipe for a 08 m1 with 09 ecu reprogramming? (everything else is stock)

I ran no controller box with my 09 m1000 with a speedwerx y-pipe and a intake, but after i went with pipe and reeds i went to a controller box then. I like the boondocker controller box, easy to use u can save up to 5 maps, and some people like to use the power commander

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can run a full SLP exhaust system with out a control box. Different reeds and/or intake will most likely require a controler. I have a boondocker and didn't have the patience to learn how to tune last winter so i put stock exhaust back on so i don't need the box up high but will probably need to add some fuel down low.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2008 M 1000 with the 09 update and with slp pipe, Y pipe and slp intake, and also v-force reeds. I was runing a boondocker box and it work well. I have now decided to go with the power commander 5. If you like i could sell you the boondocker box. The mapping would probably close to what you need.You can give me a call if you like if you have any questions. My # is 789-982-4148. If i am not there leave a message and i will get back to you.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is a 08 M1000 with the updated ecu. I ran a SLP Y pipe, SLP can, Timbersled intake and Linderman premium fuel head mod with no box. Sled ran terrific and i had to throw more primary clutch weight in it to keep from over revving at high elevation. I also tried a full SLP exhaust and PCV with a Racinstation fuel map. This combination ran super clean but i liked the torque of the stock pipe.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 M 1000 with 09 flash and no issues running Y pipe can and Boyesen Rage Cages with out a controller. I wouldn,t do anymore without adding a controller though. I,m sure there is some power to be gained by running a controller and fine tuning it , but also need to reset it all the time. I,m a pull and ride kinda guy. When i do an intake and pipe i will get a Powercommander 5 and autotune. I run 83 gram arms and a 50/ 38 helix seems to work good. No one seems to want to share the secret clutching for these. Was told to run Terra alps/ Rk tek etc... Maybe they do work better i dunno. Seemed like a big expense for the unknown. My sled revs 7400 and seems to like it there. If it pulls under 7300 i can definatly feel a power loss. Might be a discrepancey in the tach i,m not sure. Likes to run 7400 so thats where it runs. Best of luck and ENJOY !!

PS: if it was not flashed to the 09 map you WOULD need a box !!

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
Thank you, that was what I was hoping to hear. I would prefer not to run a controller if I don't need it. Just seems like more crap to go wrong or constantly play with. I bought the sled with the 09 ecu reflash so I don't know how it ran before.
I was thinking I'd like to install the Y pipe, keep the muffler and leave it alone and just ride it. The stock Y pipe looks like it restricts alot of flow out of the motor.

Thanks again guys. The SLP Y pipe came in today I picked it up, I will install it probley tomorrow, and take it for a small ride to see how it feels.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you add mods and don't need a fuel controller then you haven't gained any power.
I don,t agree. If sled is running fat after the 09 updates (which mine was) adding a Y pipe and intake may lean things out some and produce a hp increase. In a previous post i compared my brothers and my identical 08 M1000s. Both sleds ran the same before the updates and both ran crappy after the updates. I proceeded to install an intake, SLP Y pipe and head mod. I never added a control box. There was a very obvious increase in the performance of my sled compared to my brothers stock updated sled.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you add mods and don't need a fuel controller then you haven't gained any power.

If you seen the #s on the fuel map for those sleds, you would see how consumer safe the oem map is. Definitely more performance can be squeezed out of the stock map, and your setup should be safe.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you lean it out a bit. Maybe make it a little crisper. I doubt you will see more than 5 hp.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might think that but once you,ve added a Y pipe to the 1000 you will wonder why Cat never did!!! They claim 10 to 15 hp. Dunno but lemme tell you BIG difference !! I don,t recommend doing anymore than Y pipe , Can and reeds without a controller. Any more is pushing the envelope. You might never have a problem but you likely will. Biggest issue , from what i,ve been told , is the fuel pumps. Cat had a sketchy run on them apparently. Some had more pressure than others thus some sleds never had an issue. The update richer to fix this issue. Just like adding a Y pipe and Pipe to an M8 no controller needed but BIG gain. You will like the Y pipe i,m sure Darrell !!

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
Thanks guys. I can tell the bottom and mid are fat, I can't tell if the top end is fat or not but, It is noticeable down low. I just plan to do this y pipe/muffler and leave it alone. As for the HP difference, if the Y pipe cleans up the bottom and mid so they are more responsive/crisper then great. As for HP numbers, I am ok if I am loosing out on 2/4 or whatever HP on the top end if I gave it more fuel. Its hard enough on fuel as it is. I installed the Y-pipe tonight. I havn't fired it up as letting the silicone dry.

Gonna test it this weekend locally probley not in the mountains and have a look see how the motor is doing.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will find it fat on low end at lower alt,s. Cleans up as you get above 3000 ft and more as you go higher. Weird i know but the EFI adjusts as the alt goes up. Mine seems to run crisper above 3000 ft.

snowslut

Reaction score
i have a boondocker controller that hasnt been used, still in the box with all the instructions. im willing to sell it. 7806605439

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not ONE person has mentioned the most important thing on this post. WTF? Check plugs. Check wash. Who cares if cat had a bad run of fuel pumps, the best advice on this post only gets you whatever runs good on some other guy's sled that someone else told him how to run.... Whooop tee doo. My sled had over 5000miles before she threw the pto side crank end con bearing, and she was still on warranty. I didn't get those miles with my butt dyno that's for sure.

My best advice is to get egt's and learn what temps will get you black plugs, chocolate brown plugs and see what gets you a little white on the strap end. Better yet, get an air-fuel gauge. An AEM Wideband. This can tell you at any second if you're running rich or lean or just perfect. Adding that pipe and you definatly need more fuel on top. Especially right at the moment where you do a 36 second WOT pull and your motor is heat soaked and you're zig zagging finding the best snow to climb and now you're back in some hard hero snow and you know you 'could' make it but you should pull out but you keep going and then you're towing out. Seen it before, I had to tow him out. Just sayin'... Out of the box, sleds aren't made to last.

I do agree with running crisper at 3000'. Mine's a dog until about 4500'. My house is at 2000'- where I ride out of, so I gotta keep it easy until about 4000'.

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
Well, I took it out around the house in the rain today. Everything seems fine no bog, feels crisp. I noticed it seems to idle maybe alittle higher. 1500-1900rpm ish. Not too much snow here, but I did notice that it pulls 7800rpm repeatedly wide open. I havn't checked the plugs but I will before I go out again.

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
I took 1 plug out, black and near the threads it was wet. I know this isn't a WOT hit and check but I'll have a look once I am in the hills. Everything seems to run great. Dealer said with 09 ecu update I be ok with out a fuel box. I also ordered up some 83 gram weights to bring down that 7800 to 7200-7400. (and yes I know I am checking it around here at 2200 feet.) Its what he recommended

prairiepulling

Reaction score
I will have to agree with Markoo. The Math don't lie, might be a little leaner but put it on a Dyno before and after, and you will see #'s of the Horsepower the Sled should be making. Don't believe all the Here say, or what you read otherwise you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Been there and done that !!
I have a Boondocker Controller, Airbox with Nozzles, 50 HP Boondocker Nitrous Kit and everything needed to make your Sled work really decent. It's all off a 08 M1000 SnoPro and is @ Lindermans Shop in Hillcrest AB. All components have been removed as my sled is getting a Twisted Turbo installed so I won't be needing these components. # 403-304-5042

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Original post just asks whether running the sled with an aftermarket Y pipe would be ok without a box. I don"t think anyone is saying that there will be a huge horsepower increase but i have seen a Y pipe and a couple other small mods with no box turn a poor running (rich) m1000 into a decent running sled with a little extra horsepower as a bonus. Always a good idea to run egts, read plugs etc.

Top Bottom