Loading ATV on sled deck... any tips

hedge

Reaction score
I finally got around to loading my ATV on my sled deck yesterday and it was a lot tougher than I thought. the frist time I loaded I definately didn't have enough speed so it spun out and then I was in no-mans land, I kept going and got on but it could have went bad. The second time I hit it with a lot more speed and it went up much easier.

A few questions:

1. My ramp has superglide on the sides and my tires seemed to spin on it. Maybe it would be better to remove that plastic and allow the tires to grip on the rungs of the ramp?

2. I'm exploring the idea of using a winch, I have a cheap electric but am also considering a manual because of the simplicity. Anyone use a winch for loading?

3. Any other tips to remove some of the pucker factor?

It's a cross-trax deck if that matters. I like the deck but I'm starting to think the ramp is a bit of a pain having to put it together each time. It also seems it could be sturdier but that may be 'slop' from the connection between the 2 ramp sections.

Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ramps on my Marathon are super strong, I hit the ramp too slow loading my sled and the ramps didnt even seem to flex with me bouncin on it "testing their durability". They are the ones that collapse together and are super easy to set up and take down solo, I actually prefer to do it alone.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can u flip it? so the plastic slider is on the bottom, i can on mine but it was built that way

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tie strap some carpet to the ramps when loading the quad, works like a damn and easy to remove/replace for whichever unit you're loading.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to loading my ATV on my sled deck yesterday and it was a lot tougher than I thought. the frist time I loaded I definately didn't have enough speed so it spun out and then I was in no-mans land, I kept going and got on but it could have went bad. The second time I hit it with a lot more speed and it went up much easier.

A few questions:

1. My ramp has superglide on the sides and my tires seemed to spin on it. Maybe it would be better to remove that plastic and allow the tires to grip on the rungs of the ramp?

2. I'm exploring the idea of using a winch, I have a cheap electric but am also considering a manual because of the simplicity. Anyone use a winch for loading?

3. Any other tips to remove some of the pucker factor?

It's a cross-trax deck if that matters. I like the deck but I'm starting to think the ramp is a bit of a pain having to put it together each time. It also seems it could be sturdier but that may be 'slop' from the connection between the 2 ramp sections.

Do you have the 10' or 11.5' ramp? There is some play between the aluminum 2"x2" tubing, and the steel insert on the ramp. I would think it would be a little tougher to load on bare aluminum rungs than on the Superglide. There are 3 winch anchors on the front of the Crosstrax decks, but after you load once or twice, it will be "old hat". If it is still a bit freaky, try and run the rear tires of your truck into a ditch or low spot, to lessen the angle of the ramp. Also, loading a quad in the winter will be different than in the summer. Your tires will be a little stiff, and not as forgiving on the ribs of the Superglide.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, if you do want to try loading without the Superglide, all you have to do is undo the two 3/8" bolts that hold the hooks into the aluminum tubing on the ramp, flip them over, and bolt back up. All the Crosstrax ramps are reversible.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the Crosstrax deck.
It's too late now - but you can request a heavier duty ramp upon order. (thicker alum)

I find it a breeze to load our 2 grizzlies on our deck - practise makes perfect. It's all a matter of speed, brake and keeping it straight. The only time I've had problems is when the rungs/tires were too muddy.

Load the ATV a few times to get used to it. Try and practise where you can back up the truck to a higher area - to reduce the angle - just to get used to it.

If you don't like driving up the superglides, you can simply flip the ramp hooks upside down via one bolt and drive up the rung only side.
Don't use the electric winch - takes way too long to load and offload.

As for the ramps... I always wanted the telescoping ramps, but you make due w/ what you have - here's my routine... it's faster and easier to do it myself - and w/o any lifting of the ramps

- pull out the bottom long ramp out til it's flush w/ the rails that the ramp sits on
- pull out the top short ramp all the way out til it's just ready to fall off onto your tailgagte
- pull one side out till it comes off the rail, drop it down a couple inches and insert into the bottom post on the bottom ramp.
- swing the other direction and insert the other side into the holder on the bottom ramp
- push the short ramp into the long ramp all the way - til the holes line up
- attach the pins
- pull out the whole ramp until it is about to drop off the rails
- swing one side out, raise it up, hook it on your deck
- swing other side out, raise it up, hook it on your deck.

Takes longer to type this than to get the ramp hooked up.

The only problem I find is the screech of the alumunim when I pull out the ramps.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i put a winch on the front of the deck to winch up in questionable situations.

believe it as not speed is your friend climbing the ramp but of course not too much

Wise Mechanical

Reaction score
I've only loaded 4wd Atvs on my STF deck and I load them sideways so its more about taking it easy and climbing the ramp, I just bought some super glides but have not put them on yet i have just been using the rungs on the ramp. It does seem like if the tires are at all wet or cold it does make things a little hairy. My suggestion would be take er slow and climb up the ramp, it should take it, just as long as you dont have 200 pounds of extra mud or ice on it.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found that with the superglides on my marathon deck that they work better than a bare ramp when DRY. When they're wet its almost as bad as ice. I ended up winching my quad up on a trip last year after it rained. The trick is to keep good momentum, throw the quad in 4WD and low range (if you have it). You don't need to hit it super fast but fast enough to carry you up the whole way with a bit of throttle. It takes practice but once you get the hang of it, the pucker factor goes down.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom