Little quad insurance = big pain in the @$$

8lander

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Can Am DS50 for my kid, but am having trouble getting insurance for it.
Is it that people don't bother with the 50's?
My 800 and 400 Outtys are both insured through Premum but they won't touch my 50.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Can Am DS50 for my kid, but am having trouble getting insurance for it.
Is it that people don't bother with the 50's?
My 800 and 400 Outtys are both insured through Premum but they won't touch my 50.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
get a hold of brad (stumpy on here) from darson insurance...he's a great help with this.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my little quad is insured with intact insurance out of athabasca no prob with them :d there number 780 675 2241

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Nordic Insurance Co of Canada. I think it'a $116/yr. Many companies won't touch the little quads due to the underage/unlicensed drivers.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
They can insure the quad but not the operator.... insurance companies won't touch underage drivers....

My daughters 125cc breeze is insured with me as the principal operator...

8lander

Reaction score
What are the reasons they give you for not being able to insure it. Seems strange to me :headscratch3:

Cuz they say since my wife and I are the only lic. drivers and we have two other machines then they assume that a none lic. driver will be operating it :rant:
Other companies say that they won't insure it without a vehicle policy.
But I will for sure follow up on the leads you guys gave me.
Thanks.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 90cc quad, a 50cc quad, and a 50cc dirt bike insured through Co-Operators, never asked any questions at all.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
y do u have them insured..... anything below a certain hight and engine displacment....

i was told by a rcmp and county mounty [ last may long ] cause the kids got a ticket on there 110 quad, 70 dirtbike, and lt80....

cops never aske for anything but my lic to give me the ticket...

so after they were done being azzholes i asked about the reg - insurance

and they said as long as u can see them your covered...

or kids where going down a side trail [ 10 feet from the open are we were in ] and the one kid came out of the trail [ didn't look to see if someone was coming and just about hit the cop ] so he gave all the kids a ticket....

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, my insurance company told me basically the same thing...anything 49.9cc and under doesn't require insurance, but for a couple hundred bucks a year, I'm not taking any chances. I don't have collision on them, just pl, pd, and comprehensive.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here in BC it is totally illegal......kids can not ride on ANY longing road that are under 16......there is no one that will insure a kids quad ! I tried to get theft on the kids LT-80 and no such luck! the Gov. just tries to kill all out door fun for the kids! my boy still goes up the hill and will do so till I end up in jail! same with his jet ski!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cuz they say since my wife and I are the only lic. drivers and we have two other machines then they assume that a none lic. driver will be operating it :rant:
Other companies say that they won't insure it without a vehicle policy.
But I will for sure follow up on the leads you guys gave me.
Thanks.

How can they assume that you wont ever ride it. so you cant own more than 2 cars. Some people are stupid, try co-operators I have never had any probs insu anything through them.

crmxgirl

Reaction score
My parents live in saskatchewan, and a buddy of mine sold my dad his old quad and we hauled it back there on vacation. The ONLY way to insure one in SK is under your house insurance, and it is only covered for fire and theft, and only if it is stolen from your house. I tried to insure my CR125 when I was 21 and living there, and because I didn't own a home, I couldn't get insurance on it. Period. At least you can shop around and insure in alberta.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
insurance on a 50cc..... isnt that a bit ridiculous?

Ya think??? If you never take it off your own property...maybe it is ridiculous. But if you're on public or crown land on an uninsured quad (regardless of size), and you run over somebody, your ass is in a sling. I know I don't have an extra $million to pay somebody out...do you? I don't know if the insurance company would do much for you or not, but I would sooner take that chance than not at all.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added my atv to my policy last year when I bought it and had no problem. TD Meloche Monnex. When my son added his atv to his policy they said no problem. About 2 weeks later he got a call saying the insurance co refused to I sure it. His broker found another insurer but needed another 75$.

As a side note does any one know how Ins co's rate atv's and their owners as you don't need an operators licence? I figure your on road record should have nothing to do with off road operation so do they only look at value of machine and cost to repair?

Last edited:

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya think??? If you never take it off your own property...maybe it is ridiculous. But if you're on public or crown land on an uninsured quad (regardless of size), and you run over somebody, your ass is in a sling. I know I don't have an extra $million to pay somebody out...do you? I don't know if the insurance company would do much for you or not, but I would sooner take that chance than not at all.

thats the thing... 50cc... what are the odds
i know its law.. its just an opinion

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the thing... 50cc... what are the odds
i know its law.. its just an opinion

True enough, it's probably not very likely. But when I watch my 6 year old, it makes me feel better knowing I have insurance on her quad...I could replace the throttle with a toggle switch, cause she's either wide open, or sitting back at camp.:d

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I went to insure and register the no-name 50cc quads they wouldn't do either. I was told that because of the tire size and that the handle bars were under a certain size they couldn't insure or register them. When I bought the kids their new ones last fall one an 08 Arctic Cat 90 the insurance company was not going to let me insure it. Said we don't insure mini quads. Then the second problem was that I wasn't going to be operating it. So an unlicensed driver would be operating it. Once she ran the vin it was good to go. Only put pl, pd, fire and theft on it no collision. When I did the 11 arctic Cat 150 never had a problem once again pl, pd, fire and theft. But the registries screwed up when I registered them last week, she put them both down under the same plate so had to go back on Tueday and redo one registration.:d

Top Bottom