Lifting 5th wheel axles up

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas well I need some suggestions, my 5th wheel pulls pretty high, it's harder on the back axle and tires, it pulls at a angle and I'd prefer it a level pull, I don't want an expensive fix, my friend welded 3inch blocks to lift his up, don't know what to do, and I can't lower my hitch cause I don't want to pinch the truck box, thanks fellas

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or lower your truck, that would be the optimal thing to do if you want better handling and gas mileage.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are your springs. ... under the axle or on top? If they are on top you can do an axle flip so the springs sit on top of the axle.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are your springs. ... under the axle or on top? If they are on top you can do an axle flip so the springs sit on top of the axle.
U said it wrong, if there on top u can't flip them again

U can only block them up

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newer trucks are so much higher than they use to be. I had a 2000 GMC that towed my fifthwheel perfectly level. Then went to a 2010 3/4 and was almost hitting the back box because of the angle.
I did the axle swap to put under the leafs and it helped a lot. Depending on your landing leg configuration you may need to drop your legs down as well (Or use blocks).
It was pretty cheap to do. New U bolts and get some weld on saddles. Leave the original saddles where they are so you can drop back down if needed (resale). Some trailers are now coming with two saddles already welded on.
Never reuse old U bolts!!
When lifting the trailer make sure you support it on the frame close to where the axles are. Too far out and the frame will flex. I had mine to far apart and the door wouldn't open!! I quickly re positioned my supports!
The only other thing you will need to do is cut and re do your brake wiring.

If you do not have a welder get everything bolted in place, back your trailer brake controller right off and find a local welding shop that will weld them while bolted in place. Not sure where in Canada you are but if you are close to Airdrie swing by and I'd gladly weld them in for you.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the newer trucks have taller box sides- lower box floor which gives u less room to drop hitch without box-trailer hitting

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest welding the required square tubing size to the frame to make it level.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your already spring ontop of axle you can also go to your local spring shop and have a custom set of lift springs made up. Would probably cost the same as if you had to take it to a welding shop and have blocks welded on.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can flip axels your set but if not.
Do not put blocks between springs and leafs! You could get away with a inch maybe but all that trailer stuff is made of crap.
Like several have said weld solid spacer between frame and spring mounts. You could reach springs but Not sure how much lift you would get, not much room to bend much more.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There it is fellas I know it might not look to severe but idk this is my first 5th wheel and alot of folks tell me it pulls to high, thanks to all who replied

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 132

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There it is fellas I know it might not look to severe but idk this is my first 5th wheel and alot of folks tell me it pulls to high, thanks to all who replied

You're too high in the front.

Get your 5th wheel axles flipped and you'll be in way better shape.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're too high in the front.

Get your 5th wheel axles flipped and you'll be in way better shape.
I bet if you compare your rear vs front trailer tires you'll see wear on your rear ones. Puts more pressure on them. I had a buddy with a similar situation to you over the summer and his rear tires are gonna need to be replaced before next summer.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i imagine, I've seen worse cases for sure but I'm thinking something needs to be done about this, as far as my tires It's usually short hauls Ive pulled my boat and quad trailer twice behind it, everything seems to be holding up, but I'm looking for a cheaper route out not wanting to spend 300-600 on it yet, but I'm wondering if blocks would work just weld it down like 3 inches, than mount everything on that, my neighbour did that on his and it looked good, I've heard that flipping your axles can hurt them cause he camber isn't made for it, but I appreciate all the responses, if anyone has had this done, where did you get it and how much!?!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did this in our shop....cut the existing welds, jacked it up, placed the 3" square tubing, checked for square and welded in place....

Attachments

• IMGP5930.JPG
    IMGP5930.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom