LIFE JACKETS!

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How people wear thier life jackets out there when they go boating and fishing. Do you wear them just in smaller boats when fishing only, make the kids wear them only?. Two weekends ago out at long Lake I saw a boat, say 12' to 14 ' completely overloaded and only the kids wearing the jackets, trouble brewing there. Such a simple device yet so many people don't wear them while boating with such dire consequence's. They make nice looking life jackets now for a decent price, they could save your life. :waterskiing:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very true, they are like helmets, but I must admit I do not wear one on my boat 22feet unless I am riding and my vest Jetpilot is not even approved by the governemet but it keeps ya up, that being said if I was alone or with only one person in a smaller boat on a big lake I would wear one for sure, I live in Chestermere so I could probably swim to any shore, if I was not injured or knocked out...
good post

wear your helmet and LIFE vests people....

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody in the family can swim and my girls and wife are exellent swimmers but the boat don't move till the jackets are on. NO EXCEPTIONS if you set foot in my boat!:D:D

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody in the family can swim and my girls and wife are exellent swimmers but the boat don't move till the jackets are on. NO EXCEPTIONS if you set foot in my boat!:D:D
Poor 5 yr old kid last weekend drowned with his dad and dads buddy on Devils Lake....three life jackets found stowed on the boat. Sooooo preventable....:(:(:mad::(

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poor 5 yr old kid last weekend drowned with his dad and dads buddy on Devils Lake....three life jackets found stowed on the boat. Sooooo preventable....:(:(:mad::(

I read about that, that is terible, life jacket very important just like a helmet,
all the best to the family and friends.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New life jackets are so well built now a days they are not even noticeable when you are fishing. Drowning terrifies me. Because of a incident when I was younger, I wear a full survival suit when ice fishing too. The thought of going under with the sled is scary. Full survival suits are very very expensive but well worth it.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New life jackets are so well built now a days they are not even noticeable when you are fishing. Drowning terrifies me. Because of a incident when I was younger, I wear a full survival suit when ice fishing too. The thought of going under with the sled is scary. Full survival suits are very very expensive but well worth it.

I agree that a life jacket should be wore at all times with the youngster's but can't these big company's figure out how to build a comfortable life jacket for the kids:rant:, we spent alot of money on a pair of O'Brien noeprene vests for my kids and still when there seated the jacket pushes up on there little cheeks making it real uncomfortable for them:rant:. I'm sure it's not this easy but if they cut the chin area out bigger and increase the foam around it for floatation purposes it would save alot more crying bouts due to the uncomfortness (if that's even a word). I just as well went to Costco and bought the $20.00 ones they have which is a really good deal. I'm almost thinking of taking them to an uphostery shop and have they modify according but i'm afraid that would void any CSA or Coast guard approval scoring me a ticket if stopped. Rant over!!:mad:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree about the comfort factor.

You also have to keep in mind that there are LIFE preservers and then there are flotation devices.

Alot of us choose flotation devices over life preservers as they tend to be more comfortable. Which really do nothing more than keep your body on top of the water if your knocked unconcious, but you may be face down.....the LIFE preserver keeps your head tilted back and centered so you can keep breathing.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

As kids we always had to wear life preservers. No one but the adults were allowed to wear the flotation devices...how ironic.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree about the comfort factor.

You also have to keep in mind that there are LIFE preservers and then there are flotation devices.

Alot of us choose flotation devices over life preservers as they tend to be more comfortable. Which really do nothing more than keep your body on top of the water if your knocked unconcious, but you may be face down.....the LIFE preserver keeps your head tilted back and centered so you can keep breathing.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

As kids we always had to wear life preservers. No one but the adults were allowed to wear the flotation devices...how ironic.
I would be guilty of this....the girls jackets have collars where mine does not and the can definatly outswim their dad.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my little guy loving the engineers who designed his life jacket......doesn't he look sooooo happy.:(

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my little guy loving the engineers who designed his life jacket......doesn't he look sooooo happy.:(
He not looking happy cuz he is tired and it's cold. He is hungrey and doesn't like his picture taken.
Because he is in that life jacket, He will grow up some day and say. 'Dad you remember when I was little and we always went boating together, I will never forget them times. They were Great Times...love you Dad"
Some where I have a link to better L.J.'s for kids I'll try and find it for you.
Life jackets are made for little ones like that because their bodies cannot always right themselfs.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care for boats and water crafts personally. I figure I do enough stupid stuff to get me hurt, I don't need drowning to be an added factor. :beerchug:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He not looking happy cuz he is tired and it's cold. He is hungrey and doesn't like his picture taken.
Because he is in that life jacket, He will grow up some day and say. 'Dad you remember when I was little and we always went boating together, I will never forget them times. They were Great Times...love you Dad"
Some where I have a link to better L.J.'s for kids I'll try and find it for you.
Life jackets are made for little ones like that because their bodies cannot always right themselfs.
When my girls took swimming lessons I was throughly impressed what they had learned. Two of my girls on a tube with me(5 and 7yrs old) and we tipped. I will never forget the look of terror in their eyes as I confirmed there are no sharks in Long Lake!!! When I said daddy had to tow them they completly stopped treading and I towed them to the boat by the handy tow straps on the back of their collars. Until my children are adults they will be wearing the real life jackets.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my girls took swimming lessons I was throughly impressed what they had learned. Two of my girls on a tube with me(5 and 7yrs old) and we tipped. I will never forget the look of terror in their eyes as I confirmed there are no sharks in Long Lake!!! When I said daddy had to tow them they completly stopped treading and I towed them to the boat by the handy tow straps on the back of their collars. Until my children are adults they will be wearing the real life jackets.
No where did I suggest not to wear a approved life jacket:confused::confused:

Top Bottom