Life after Oil, whats your plan when you are inevitably laid off?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in the oil industry, instrumentation isn't really a skill that is easily transferable to other industries... Planning on selling the house and buying in Blue River, live the poegy lifestyle and sled everyday.

Poegy Beach!

Or I could try and get a job in the "clean energy industry"

What's your plan?

What's the next boom industry?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you're about 50 years too soon, but referring to the current recession i think ill head back to school full time next fall for 2 years to get an engineering tech diploma that should be applicable to other industries.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry, shoulda clarified, the Alberta Oil industry.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, I think it's far too soon, oil and gas is nowhere near dead, still lots in the ground in Alberta, I hope to be retired by the time we really do start to run out, but every year more and more technology comes out to make more oil and gas recoverable.

But regardless my previous statement remains, I plan on getting an Eng. Tech Diploma so that if I choose to leave Alberta I can, I don't think a Steamfitter-Pipefitter ticket will get me that far elsewhere, and I have no interest in working on commercial heating systems anyway.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach a little though, I think this will be a lengthy downturn, I don't think we've seen the halfway mark yet, and I'm sure it will be a slow recovery when it does begin to rebound. The entire world economy seems to be this way though, so I'm not sure there is a much better option at the moment.

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
I agree, it will come back one day. Going to try and ride the storm out in SK if I can. Tough to be so well paid and possibly go back to commercial range wages if this continues. If it does happen allot of us are going to have to adjust to it, no more new toys for a while. The industrial sector is so saturated with labour from the boom of AB/SK, hoping this downturn can rid us of outside "help" and provide more Canadians with stable employment if anything. I grew up in SK, when I was young it seemed everybody's old man was a trucker or a farmer, not much going on here at the time. Maybe I'll get my 1A, buy a nice rig and work on my gut... Or maybe I'll start a green farm under Trudea's legal market..
Seriously though re-training has crossed my mind a few times.
Good luck out there folks :mountainClimb: (Our lovely Economy plummeting)

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Andy, hit me up this winter, maybe we can get out sledding. In Sk if you can find a sweet powder spot, or in the mountains if it ever snows there.

I do think instrumentation would get you into a job in water treatment, either as an operator or maintenance.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I was born and raised in the oil industry, instrumentation isn't really a skill that is easily transferable to other industries... Planning on selling the house and buying in Blue River, live the poegy lifestyle and sled everyday.

Poegy Beach!

What's your plan?

sorry to hear your struggling with work but as a FIG myself I have only seen my days cut from 14's to 8's which I have really came to enjoy. as a tech you should not have any issues finding work.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Poegy Beach!

What's your plan?

Man you really need to open your eyes if you think instrument techs are oilfield only.

So many other industrial plants out there, waste water, food processing, building control systems, building maintenance, power generation.....

Ride the pogey train.... not me I got laid off too, came home started a business now busier than every and home every night.

Was time for a major correction, to many young no education workers making to much money. A dose of reality for them.

My son has friends who quit school got labor jobs in the patch, came home flush with cash big trucks big talk about how school is a waste of time.... now they are living at home, crying because they may have to work at gas station.

There is work, you will just have to work harder to find it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I believe NG will play a much larger role as companies such as GE are already investing in it? I know there are conversions to CNG for passenger vehicles as well as industrial applications such as starting up drilling rigs on diesel then blending in NG up to 75%. Certaurus and Ferus are companies I am familiar with. I am of the opinion there will always be an oilpatch. Energy companies are dooing major projects and wellsites today in Alberta. There will sadly be some casualties in the current state of affairs though. I honestly feel for some of my friends and although I am still reasonably busy That is not the case for everyone. Sometimes ya gotta get down and dirty. Nobody said it was easy.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my job for about 3 more years then enjoy the retirement life. My wife took every overtime penny that I ever made and invested it.so our nest egg is still very healthy. probably buy less toys now. I sucks to be at the bottom of any senority list as I was for many years but being at the top of the list sure feels good about now.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of being a politician. No experience required, excellent salary, you don't have to be accountable and you get a really cushy pension after several years.

In all seriousness though, theres lots of heavy equipment in Alberta that will be used outside of the oilfield. That will keep a tech such as myself busy:)

HeavyD111

Reaction score
Took PE to get out of Sk and back to AB, but industry saturation (power engineers are a dime a dozen now) means that wont be happening. Also thinking of retraining but to what? Who knows anymore what a good field is..

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took PE to get out of Sk and back to AB, but industry saturation (power engineers are a dime a dozen now) means that wont be happening. Also thinking of retraining but to what? Who knows anymore what a good field is..

Personally I think it's up to you, hard work, knowledge, experience, and dedication seem to pay well no matter what field you are in, now obviously if your goal is McDonald's manager then I would suggest you reconsider.

I would start with something you enjoy and then find a way to make a living at it, but the trades seem to pay fairly well.

Top Bottom