legal or not?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering on a question here. this is the second time it has happened this year and wanna know if it is legal for the rcmp to do or not? I have been outside the bar waiting for taxi cab rides so i dont pull a bonehead and drink and drive but unfortunately cranbrook doesnt have many cabs in town and when it is busy they are no were to be found! Now my quaestion is isnt it the rcmp's duty or job that if some one has been drinking and there are no cabs around and the person asks nicely for a ride dont they have to give that person a ride or can they legally leave you standing on the street freezing! I just wanna figure it out not looking for an argument but I wanna know what they legally are allowed to do my opinion protect and serve means keeping people from freezing on the side of the road! needless to say I stood in front of the bar for an hour and watched 4 police officers talk and bs outside there cars! In pincher creek and other towns I was from if you asked them for a ride home they would give you one to make sure you got home safely.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they are obligated to drive anyone home, if they were to do it, I imagine it would be a nice guy thing. Plenty of police in Cranbrook are knobs, in my experience.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
smaller towns they quite often do. however i do believe that due to rules/regulations/politcal bs. they are not legally allowed to give people rides home. the only way your allowed in the car is if your under arrest or investigation.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a very interesting chat this summer and was invorfed that a whole lot of services thet th RCMP used to preform as part and parcel of thier duties have been disappearing do to union negociations. It's why you are seeing alot of mid size towns having thier own peace officer's.

The subject came up when one of the people we were sitting with had been broken down on the side of hwy 2 during a summer storm and a couple of RCMP cars didnt even stop and when they saw the tird car at least slow down they jumped out and asked for a ride...(they were 10 km from Wetaskwin) they were told no. (they were in thier early 50's and dont own cell phones)

Most if not all of the comminity type servies are no longer part of thier services contract.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in the car and they get a call , they can not go because they have a civillian in the car.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I heard most of the "Nice" acts are starting to disappear wich is really a shame. it kinda sucks when you stand waiting outside for hours especially when you have only had three drinks and can drive but no it is not worth it if you get caught. I just wish the good acts would come back and they would help someone who is standing on the street freezing and not just keep telling them that the cabs are coming then go back to having a normal conversation with 4 more of his buddies. But if i were to have been sober and drove by with my H.I.D headlights on I would have been pulled over then and there for my lights being to bright for the highways. Bring back the Good samaritans act

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they are obligated to drive anyone home, if they were to do it, I imagine it would be a nice guy thing. Plenty of police in Cranbrook are knobs, in my experience.

couldnt agree with you more on this at all unfortuantely the cranbrook police are starting to turn more and more into knobs it really is unfortuante

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in the car and they get a call , they can not go because they have a civillian in the car.

thats right got out of a huge speeding ticket and a no insurance, way back in my days that i was a little less respectable, they got a call about a shooting on their radio they turned around looked at me buddy got out opened the door and said gtfo have a good evening. thank you sir.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
RCMP in Saskatchewan don`t have a good record of who they drive home. Sometimes they just drive and drop off maybe not even in town. Better off to get walking than have a RCMP drive you home. Just saying

junior750

Reaction score
i am an actively serving P.O. (not with the rcmp) but in a major canadian city.

at no time am i obligated to give anyone a ride home unless they are being detained or are arrested. like it has been said above, if there is a civilian in the vehicle, i cannot respond to another priority call.

i cannot see the protocol being any different for the rcmp. there is too great a risk when doing so.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats right got out of a huge speeding ticket and a no insurance, way back in my days that i was a little less respectable, they got a call about a shooting on their radio they turned around looked at me buddy got out opened the door and said gtfo have a good evening. thank you sir.

Back in the day they would let us out of the drunk tank early so we could goto whitecourt for a hockey tourny. I miss small town living.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
...that's just were I want the cops in my home town when the bar closes and spills 50 drunk 18-30 year olds into the street... Taking the dude home that forgot to where his coat, drank to much and pissed his pants :rolling: and can't hail a cab :d
I have had a ride home before by the boys and it was purely Just a friendly gesture :eek: I swear

riffrraffing

Reaction score
There is a reason that the RCMP is the least respected organization that we have going. Even on the International stage it is ranked as one of the worst. It is not the world renown and respected force that it once was. I can bring up countless acts of abuse of power. The older members for the most part are just waiting to collect their pensions and the younger ones are a bunch of punks abusing their power trying to get back at the world that most likely picked on them during their school years. I would rather call on a criminal for help than a cop. At least the criminals don't try pretending that they are something else. Bunch of losers. Oh and by the way, I am not a drug user or a criminal. Just a regular law abiding citizen that is embarrassed of our apathetic police force. I don't completely blame them though. So many bleeding heart judges and idiot union officials have had a hand in the culture among the police force today.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I miss the small town living myself in pincher creek you knew everyone and when you asked a police officer to do something nice and give you a ride home in the cold they would do so, so that you wouldnt freeze. It really sucks to see what cops are and arent allowed to do anymore they are basicly allowed to do everything but help the public it seems! sorry to get off topic here but this is another question I have that hopefully someone can answer me on to. in bc you can have driving lights on your vehicle as long as they are lower than your headlights! Well I got pulled over for my lightforce lights wich are mounted in behind the grille and was told nicely (wich i respected the lady for) that my lightforce lights were not D.O.T approved wich i didnt know at the time so i said ok i will get it fixed! a day later I'm pulled over by another cop from kimberley about my lightforce lights (these pullover are all during the day so lights are not on) this officer had the same lightforce lights mounted to his front push bar I asked why he could have lightforce lights and i couldnt He simply said " sir we are exempt from those rules as we are emergency vehicles" so my question is, is are they legally to be exempt from all these laws like no idling in bc, no daytime running lights, and now being able to have the one "illegal" driving lights mounted to there vehicle? any info on it would be great as I'm just trying to figure things out without jumping down the cops in cranbrooks throats!

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Police should not be driving peeps home....just think what would happen, there would be no more Taxi's left in business as everyone would go for the free ride...Then where would all the new immigrants work when they came to Canada......:eek::rolleyes:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Police should not be driving peeps home....just think what would happen, there would be no more Taxi's left in business as everyone would go for the free ride...Then where would all the new immigrants work when they came to Canada......:eek::rolleyes:

twoshay :beer:

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

amen,sister, amen........................

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe this is fully accurate. Coppers respond to calls when giving "ride-alongs" to civillians.

You cannot get a "free ride" anymore unless you are being detained/arrested,. a witness to a criminal investigation, or SIGNED WAIVER as a civilian ride along.

There may be some other areas,.. or some may have changed, but I know of the above.

If you are in the vehicle and a call comes in that THEY must respond to,.. they kick you out, here, there, where ever,.. BUT if you are a RIDE-ALONG you get to go catch some bad guys,..

Did it with a family member in the past,.. boy sure are some ugly people out there :) I can ask my sister tonight as she works with da COPPERS.

Top Bottom