Led light bars

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys can anyone tell me if they're supposed to be covered up when not in use, it's set back in my bumper in between my tow hooks on my f250 thanks

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
They are supposed to be hooked into the light system so they can only be on when your lights are on but that is just non-scene no one ever does that...I would not dout they need a cover but i never see them on.
I always see those morons driving around with no lights just their light bars.. I just don't get it, your not the only guy in the world with a lifted truck with a light bar lol, I guess its good advertisement for the crack heads to follow you and grab them when your sleeping.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? They are off road light and supposed to be covered when on road. If in Alberta you won't have any issue with them unless you're an idiot and running them all the time. In BC you will probably get a ticket fairly easy. Not sure about any where else in Canada.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC started this year with a serious crack down. Mudflaps, tires outside fenders, modified headlights, light bars, and exhaust. All can get you serious fines. And the highway to Radium from Banff is being subjected to 0 tolerance on speeding, especially on long weekends.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a light bar does not have a DOT/SAE approval with proper etched designations on the lens to prove it, it must be covered no matter how it is wired while traveling on public roads in any province in Canada.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, that is right... you will get a ticket or maybe a warning for not having a cover over your Light Bar in BC!!!...

In BC RCMP are actually carrying duct tape now, if your stopped and dont have covers, they will "cover" the lights for you. If you want to argue with them they have a couple things they do, first is a simple ticket, second is they give you a notice of inspection which requires you to get a full vehicle inspection at a certified facility then you much go back to the local station and prove you have passed the inspection, all at your expense. If you dont do it your insurance is void.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy I'm not sure if it's approved or not to be honest I live in Alberta and see ppl with them all over their trucks up on the roofs and all over there grills and stuff I mounted mine down undernieth my front bumper in between my tow hooks I'm just using it for setting up for goose hunting early in the mornings and off road more or less

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy I'm not sure if it's approved or not to be honest I live in Alberta and see ppl with them all over their trucks up on the roofs and all over there grills and stuff I mounted mine down undernieth my front bumper in between my tow hooks I'm just using it for setting up for goose hunting early in the mornings and off road more or less
Just look at the bottom right hand corner of the light, if it says SAEXXX or DOTXXX then it is legal, if there is no etching, its not legal (the xxx is numbers, they specify if they are approved fog or driving lights)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I read that aux light section a person could upgrade the bulbs in the current factory bumper lights without and problem???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would have to read the full section on Fog lamps.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the laws are so all over the place on this issue it's hard to know what's legit or not our cops here have uncovered lightbars and use them on Hwy but 30mins East they are hardcore gotta be covered. Best bet is cover them on Hwy

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running one of those light bars on the highway is fair game for me to smash it when you pull over for a coffee

Buy a vehicle with decent headlights. I have never had a vehicle that I needed a light bar. My current F150 has never had the high beams clicked on in the over three years Ive had it.

And come to thinks of it, the fog lights have never been turned on either.

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running one of those light bars on the highway is fair game for me to smash it when you pull over for a coffee

Buy a vehicle with decent headlights. I have never had a vehicle that I needed a light bar. My current F150 has never had the high beams clicked on in the over three years Ive had it.

How many people go on test drives at night when shopping for a new vehicle? I have had a lot of vehicles with crappy headlights. My last three have been decent but my 2010 ram 3500 sucked bad. As I get older my eye sight is getting worse at night too so I have been running my fog lights just because it is easier to see the lines. But running a light bar against traffic is not cool. Still see some guys running them in the city.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Oh why so sensitive. Who said they were running it on the hi way when you are going down the road.

Way more morons driving around with high beams on all the time even in the city than a guy with a light bar who is more than likely on the opposite side of a divided hiway.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Well then. Aren't you the greatest. With the greatest eye sight. And the greatest truck. Congrats to you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

.....and your dad drove with out using his high beams.....and his dad drove without high beams......ain't never needed them.....and if you can get along without them, everyone should.......lol

Last edited:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that since they have been putting on salt/calcium on the roads instead of scrapping them that its more difficult to see the road? In the last 8-10 years, with the wet, black roads, I find the road sucks the light in. No reflection at all in the ditches. Not to mention, when someone passes you, in either direction, the slop from the roads cover the lights like mud.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I read that aux light section a person could upgrade the bulbs in the current factory bumper lights without and problem???

Factory bumper lights are virtually all fog lights, not aux lights, and bulbs fall into the same categories as their housings, must have CSA or DOT approval to be legal. Many people think they are outsmarting the system by putting HID bulbs into fog light housings, all the RCMP do around here if they suspect they are illegal is issue a notice of inspection, meaning you have to pay to have your vehicle inspected at an authorized facility at your expense and then send proof of inspection to RCMP within time limit. If they suspect your using illegal bulbs and you piss them off by arguing they can issue a roadside out of service and have your vehicle towed to inspection facility of your choice, at your expense of course.

Top Bottom