Learning to use a GPS

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that would be able to teach me how to work my new GPS. I bought a Garmin eTrex 30. Been lost before while out sledding and it wanst fun. Been playing around with it, but I really dont understand it. Would be willing to meet up on a Saturday if someone could help me out. Unless your near Westlock, then we can meet during the week. Thanks in advance.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could show you but wouldn't be any time soon. I bought a book about 14 years ago (how to use gps) that helped a lot but was a long read. It was designed to be used with maps. Usually if you are using it to get back to where you parked or home or something like that you can "mark" that spot. Scroll up and rename it. Then use the goto feature and that name will pop up. Hit enter and go the the screen with the big arrow. It will show the direction to ride in and how far it is away as the crow flies. Got it? lol

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could show you but wouldn't be any time soon. I bought a book about 14 years ago (how to use gps) that helped a lot but was a long read. It was designed to be used with maps. Usually if you are using it to get back to where you parked or home or something like that you can "mark" that spot. Scroll up and rename it. Then use the goto feature and that name will pop up. Hit enter and go the the screen with the big arrow. It will show the direction to ride in and how far it is away as the crow flies. Got it? lol

Yup.. got it.. Clear as mud !!! LOL

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you having issues with?

I dont know ANYTHING about them. I went for a walk with it the other night, put waypoint at every turn I made, and came back home. Went to see my tracks, and I can see a red line...all over the place, not sure if that was my path or not. Maybe I dont have the settings right, I dont know. I've gone through the manual, just cant figure it out. Maybe what I am seeing is right... Im just not sure. Dont want to go hit the bush with it just yet... I'd be lost for sure.. LOL

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to go use the smaller grid. If the grid size is to big you cant tell what direction to turn, especially while going at a walking speed. There should be a size in the bottom left corner while on the map screen. Says M or KM. Like 3.2km for example.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know ANYTHING about them. I went for a walk with it the other night, put waypoint at every turn I made, and came back home. Went to see my tracks, and I can see a red line...all over the place, not sure if that was my path or not. Maybe I dont have the settings right, I dont know. I've gone through the manual, just cant figure it out. Maybe what I am seeing is right... Im just not sure. Dont want to go hit the bush with it just yet... I'd be lost for sure.. LOL

That's the best way to learn them. Just to play with it. Don't be afraid to push buttons. I've had a few different styles of GPS. Now I run with the rhino buddy find 140. Hard on batteries but saved my ass a few times.

Have you looked on YouTube? See if there are any videos of how to use it?

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the best way to learn them. Just to play with it. Don't be afraid to push buttons. I've had a few different styles of GPS. Now I run with the rhino buddy find 140. Hard on batteries but saved my ass a few times.

Have you looked on YouTube? See if there are any videos of how to use it?

I have checked out You Tube, not very helpful. Mostly reviews of the GPS. I will keep working with it, but if anyone knows of a place that offers a course of GPS training, please let me know. Greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom