leaking oil thru base gasket

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay. I'm confused now. Said when I sprayed it while it was running it would increase? So Not during idle, what do you mean by running? And yeea I'm debating to take it to the dealer or not cause I'm thinking this is gonna be pricy.

Spray the starting fluid around the base gasket while the sled is running at a stable idle speed without touching the throttle. The idle speed should not increase when you do this. If it does increase then the starting fluid is getting into the engine past the gasket, which means air will do the same thing while you're riding. This will cause your fuel charge to go lean, which is not a good thing.

daniboy32

Reaction score
So this is another question with this issue, ultimately you can tell how you engine is running by the color of the plugs. So I have one plug looking the brown it should and the other black so one seems rich then and that would probably tell me my carbs are outta sink wouldn't it? So that being said if the gasket is sucking air into there then would that not bother the plugs at all because the lean isn't coming from the carb? Just trying to understand this cause it's starting to make sense the way the sled is running
Much appreciated!!

Top Bottom