leaking oil thru base gasket

daniboy32

Reaction score
I have a 2008 summit and just took my clutch out and noticed oil all over the bottem of the engine and looks like it's coming from the base gasket was wondering this leak would cause a bog when I get into powder and go wide open? Is it worth taking to the dealer to replace?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably a crank seal on the pto side . Or maybe just your exhaust valves leaking bad

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

daniboy32

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I was working on it tonight and noticed I was missing a bolt for the y-pipe. Put one in, would that of cause a bit of an oil leak?

Alberta Beach Doo

Reaction score
Clean it up real well with some degreaser then go for a little rip and check. This will show you right away where its coming from. Make sure you take the Y pipe off and clean the oil off the pipe and gaskets before you torque it back down.

daniboy32

Reaction score
Another quick question what would cause a crackle in the exhaust when I get video of me wide open it doesn't snap with that loud whine like normal it has a really deep one with a crackle

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your raves. make sure clean, no cracks, working properly. Pulling full RPM? Had a sled last year come in for similar issue, bolts that mount rave to cylinder were loose.

daniboy32

Reaction score
Yea I just took them out and cleaned them the other day. I'll check the bolts again. Is there a way to adjust them or are they just screw all the way in and leave them?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another quick question what would cause a crackle in the exhaust when I get video of me wide open it doesn't snap with that loud whine like normal it has a really deep one with a crackle

If it's actually your base gasket leaking and not your y-pipe as most including me have assumed, that sound could be lean popping due to air leaking into the engine past that gasket. Not a good thing.

daniboy32

Reaction score
And yea it's pulling full rpm when I come up a hill and and cat walk a bit with the exhaust off the snow. And how would you check of there workimg properly?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I'll have it checked out. Thanks. Could that be why it's idling high as well?

Yup, could be. Spray a little starting fluid around the gasket while it's running. It won't take much. If it's speeds up, it's leaking.

daniboy32

Reaction score
So I gave that a try but first turned out my fuel screw. So I started it up it was idling at 1700 then would slowly climb to 2400 I sprayed the starting fluid or near gasket it increase by like only 100 to maybe 200 then I revved it up a bit then would settle to 1700 which was nice to see but then again climbed back to the 2400 and kept doing that

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I gave that a try but first turned out my fuel screw. So I started it up it was idling at 1700 then would slowly climb to 2400 I sprayed the starting fluid or near gasket it increase by like only 100 to maybe 200 then I revved it up a bit then would settle to 1700 which was nice to see but then again climbed back to the 2400 and kept doing that

Idle speed shouldn't change when you spray it unless some got into the intake by mistake. Might wanna check that base gasket. It's a good way to test your crank seal too. Unstable idle can also be caused by carbs being out of balance, but typically start high then drop down....kinda the opposite of what you're seeing.

daniboy32

Reaction score
Okay. I'm confused now. Said when I sprayed it while it was running it would increase? So Not during idle, what do you mean by running? And yeea I'm debating to take it to the dealer or not cause I'm thinking this is gonna be pricy.

Top Bottom