Lawsuit concerns halt east kootenay search and rescue teams

wanna learn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the RCMP didn't respond to the first SOS, as they did not know if that was a new or old signal.... when the RCMP called the resort to see if anyone was missing the response was NO.

IF the couple were to have informed the resort's front desk that they were going to be skiing at the resort, then the resort would have known that they were missing, and therefore the RCMP would have been notified and
S & R would have been sent out a lot sooner.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the RCMP didn't respond to the first SOS, as they did not know if that was a new or old signal.... when the RCMP called the resort to see if anyone was missing the response was NO.

IF the couple were to have informed the resort's front desk that they were going to be skiing at the resort, then the resort would have known that they were missing, and therefore the RCMP would have been notified and

Backcountry 101....let someone know where, and when to expect you....Tragic way to learn....

Thanks for the info Wanna Learn

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com

Just wanted to add that when the helicopter spotted the SOS, they did look around the area to see if they could see anyone. If you are going to place an SOS in the snow, STAY THERE. I also heard that the people had booked out of their hotel that morning and the resort had no idea that they were even still in the area. The RCMP had nothing to go on.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that when the helicopter spotted the SOS, they did look around the area to see if they could see anyone. If you are going to place an SOS in the snow, STAY THERE. I also heard that the people had booked out of their hotel that morning and the resort had no idea that they were even still in the area. The RCMP had nothing to go on.

This lawsuit has been in the media for about two weeks.

Good points - RCMP get lots of bogus reports. The issue here I think is the fact that the cop on TV (the day after they were found) was already talking about the fact that they did not investigate the SOS "as throughly" as they should have. We were sitting there watching the news coverage and I said to my wife - "that's gonna result in a lawsuit." Not sure why they made comments like that, you had to know any admission like that opens you up for potential liability. Can't understand that one. No one reported them missing, the cops had no reason to suspect anything, they investigated where they could - they did nothing wrong - so why let the PR guy make statements that will land you in court later?

I know exactly what this clown was thinking - him and the old lady had been out here for a week, no fresh stuff had fallen and they had paid a big $$$$ premium to ski in Golden and they were going to get their money's worth. So they skied out of bounds to hit some fresh powder and got lost. Not sure how you get lost on a ski hill that basically faces town...but hey, he was experienced right? :rolleyes:

"Experienced" backcountry user my a$$.....This clown probably had as much backcountry "experience" as most big city eastern douchebags - NONE. Too many people using this word today, in too loose of context. Just because you have driven by the forest on your way to the golf course, does not mean you could survive there.....

As for sueing a volunteer organization who's members put their lives on the line to save your dumbass - If this is how you think and this is how you are going to act, and you are reading this, stay home, wherever you are from! We don't want you here! Go ski at Mont Tremblant instead d!ckhead!

Show up for a week, screw up and get lost, get found, and then sue our local organizations that help protect our recreational activities that we enjoy in OUR way of life because YOU WERE TO STUPID to follow your tracks back uphill or stop and make a fire???

F___ you!!!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So can someone sue this a$$hole if they lose a buddy in the backcountry and there is no search and rescue because of his lawsuit?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, you can't sue a volunteer organization which is what we are. Will have to check into it a bit more.

I am not going to read the whole thread..just plain pisses me off. However, I will offer the following comments in case no one else responds.

Bbtoys, volunteer organizations, specifically the executives/board members can and have been successfully sued in Canada (and the USA). Insurance is available to volunteer organization's board members, but that doesn't do anything to lessen the stress and/or time requirements to the individuals involved.

Anyone can point the finger at you and claim you are personally negligent. You will be forced (often in court) to defend yourself. If in court, it is stressful, time consuming and expensive even if there was no basis to the alligation.

It's too bad that we cannot countersue for stupidity.

My hats off for the time and effort that S&R volunteers put in to save the lives they do.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This lawsuit has been in the media for about two weeks.

Good points - RCMP get lots of bogus reports. The issue here I think is the fact that the cop on TV (the day after they were found) was already talking about the fact that they did not investigate the SOS "as throughly" as they should have. We were sitting there watching the news coverage and I said to my wife - "that's gonna result in a lawsuit." Not sure why they made comments like that, you had to know any admission like that opens you up for potential liability. Can't understand that one. No one reported them missing, the cops had no reason to suspect anything, they investigated where they could - they did nothing wrong - so why let the PR guy make statements that will land you in court later?

I know exactly what this clown was thinking - him and the old lady had been out here for a week, no fresh stuff had fallen and they had paid a big $$$$ premium to ski in Golden and they were going to get their money's worth. So they skied out of bounds to hit some fresh powder and got lost. Not sure how you get lost on a ski hill that basically faces town...but hey, he was experienced right? :rolleyes:

"Experienced" backcountry user my a$$.....This clown probably had as much backcountry "experience" as most big city eastern douchebags - NONE. Too many people using this word today, in too loose of context. Just because you have driven by the forest on your way to the golf course, does not mean you could survive there.....

As for sueing a volunteer organization who's members put their lives on the line to save your dumbass - If this is how you think and this is how you are going to act, and you are reading this, stay home, wherever you are from! We don't want you here! Go ski at Mont Tremblant instead d!ckhead!

Show up for a week, screw up and get lost, get found, and then sue our local organizations that help protect our recreational activities that we enjoy in OUR way of life because YOU WERE TO STUPID to follow your tracks back uphill or stop and make a fire???

F___ you!!!

pretty much

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of person can sue a non-profit, volunteer search and resuce organization for anything and still sleep at night? Surely not someone who is as experienced in the backcountry as this guy claims to be-as they would know the importance of this type of organization and they would also know to take responsibility for thier actions and that noone put him in that situation but himself. He should be happy that they did rescue him at all, not sue cuz they got there too late. An experienced backcountry user would not sue the parties that make backcountry travel safer. :nono:

If we're in the backcountry, out of a controlled environment like a ski hill, we shouldn't 'expect' to be rescued. Rescue should be a privledge not a right. If we're putting ourselves in danger to reap the benefits of the outdoors then we waive our rights to 'guaranteed' medical and rescue assistance. Maybe laws that restrict the suing of individuals belonging to any non-profit rescue organization should be introduced.

Appreciate it if they are there to rescue you, but don't expect it.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rutherford is talking about this right now on 630 Ched in Edmonton and its sister AM radio station in Calgary.

Top Bottom