Lawsuit concerns halt east kootenay search and rescue teams

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good morning everybody.

So I tend to start my mornings by reading the news, and came across an article that just boils my blood. I'm sure some of you remember the woman who died while skiing out of bounds at kicking horse resort, well, her husband has sued the volunteer S&R team. This is insane.

So now, should people need a rescue, people will be that much less likely to help.

Just thought I would share with you folks, to get some insight into your opinions.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good morning everybody.

So I tend to start my mornings by reading the news, and came across an article that just boils my blood. I'm sure some of you remember the woman who died while skiing out of bounds at kicking horse resort, well, her husband has sued the volunteer S&R team. This is insane.

So now, should people need a rescue, people will be that much less likely to help.

Just thought I would share with you folks, to get some insight into your opinions.

That's about the reaction I would expect from this Queerbec fugger. :rant:

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great, now every lewis & clark is going to get sue happy, if you can't find them. why can't a seasoned back country outdoor person, just admit they screwed up.:mad:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Litigation will eventually kill any organized activity. Unfortunately we live in a society where it is never my fault, someone else is to blame. This couple were supposed to be experienced backcountry skiers????? So why did they venture out of bounds and why were they so ill prepared to spend a few nights in the wilderness in case something went south. Hopefully the B.C. goverenment steps up to the plate to cover the search and rescue teams throughout the province, if not this will end up having dire consequences in B.C. and the rest of the country.

Billy Boy:cool:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t make any sense to sue S & R....Wasn’t it the RCMP that dropped the ball re the rescue; I thought they were notified but didn’t call S & R. The couple had put up a large SOS and the RCMP thought the Ski hill had resounded or something to that effect. Maybe someone can clarify….

I remember thinking at the time when the news was out that they would wind up suing but thought it would be the RCMP…Maybe they just decided to pick the easier target.

As stated earlier, its seems to be the way, it can’t be me that made a mistake, so it must be ….and just start pointing and hope someone pays just to shut you up….

Lawyer’s "Insert joke here" politicians….we’d be better off without them… "

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But we shouldn't forget it was all the sledders that were responsible for all the greif to the s and r members this year:confused::confused: :rolleyes:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are also suing the RCMP. It sounds like this dude is just out to get some easy money. The terrible thing is this easy money will come at the expense of anyone who later in time, needs help out of the backcountry.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, you can't sue a volunteer organization which is what we are. Will have to check into it a bit more.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blame our Liberal Goverment for not paying the Insurance these guys need to have,its crazy to expect these voulinteer groups to pay for this as well as try to raise money for new and better equipment,as of last night only 30 out of over 80 S&R groups have it,everyone just thought they were covered by our goverment but oh no and our Fd up leader said nothin,he apears not to really care but then he was pretty much voted in by city folk who never use the back country so its no surprise.As a vey avid backcountry user it makes my blood boil(Relax Jim take a deep breath)they get huge raises but cant help those who help others.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F'n lawyers!

It seems they are not suing for the S&R but rather trying to sue for the late response. Very interesting. These are volunteers so I am not sure the lawsuit will hold any weight in court. I'm sure the Gov will send in representatives as well. Besides, they 'should' be held accountable for their own actions! Usually a lawsuit of this type names everyone and their little dog too. Have to keep an eye on this one. I volunteered for the Canadian Ski Patrol for a while. Odd person would try to sue but were never successful. Here in Alberta there is the Good Samaritan Act as well. Again though, they are not suing for the actions of these organizations, but for the lack of response. Please keep us posted.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think buddy offed his wife and just trying to make it more concrete,

fawcking pathetic, I think the the volunteers should be able to sue them for being so useless and unprepared to be in the back country... and having to drag a dead body out who wants to see that, so thanks Mr Quebec I drag your dead wife out and you sue me.... sure bud move to the USA.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Me thinks that is where we are heading in the future...have to be licensed to ride the back country?

I think buddy offed his wife and just trying to make it more concrete,

fawcking pathetic, I think the the volunteers should be able to sue them for being so useless and unprepared to be in the back country... and having to drag a dead body out who wants to see that, so thanks Mr Quebec I drag your dead wife out and you sue me.... sure bud move to the USA.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't he get enough money out of her life insurance? That's probably why he took her back there and didn't walk back out the way he came in like the "experienced outdoorsman" that his brother said he was.

I said it somewhere before, but the reason you may end up IN JAIL if you duck a ski resort boundary in the states (relaxed a bit in recent years), is lawsuits like this in the 70's. People would duck the rope, hurt themselves, then sue the resort for letting them duck the rope and hurt themselves. Insurance and legal bills weren't worth covering that so it becomes illegal and a few dumb pricks ruin it for everyone else. I know it's not the exact same scenario, but it would suck if Kicking Horse, or anywhere else, ended their excellent open boundary policy due to some prick from the city who can't take responsiblility for his own actions.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple solution.....make better choices. These two back country enthusiasts made a concious decision to go where they should not have gone. Common sense should dictate that "Out of Bounds" areas are deemd just that for a reason. These areas are dangerous for whatever reasons and they are not patrolled. Most all of us at one time or another while sledding have wound up in situation where we have had an increase in the old heart rate thinking "I may need some help here". Myself I've ended up there "unintentionally". But I learned from those mistakes. Sad ending, no doubt, but IMO nobody's fault but thier own.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Won't go anywhere....they were skiing OUT OF BOUNDS kicking horse will not be liable because of the boundary area, if they had an emergency beacon they would have been found.....just stirring the pot any law student could prove that the victims did not do everything "reasonably practicable" to promote thier own safety and made a "choice" to ski an out of bounds area without proper equipment and procaution.....Volunteers can not and will not be held liable

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ability to go into the back country does not mean you have the skills to be in the back country.....that is true for skiers, sledders, hikers, quaders and climbers.

They made a terrible choice the day they ventured out there and she paid the ultimate price for that mistake. R.I.P.

I don’t believe anyone should be sued, especially the S & R, they responded when called. It does beg the question why didn’t the RCMP respond to the notice of the SOS spotted by the helicopter.

Still won’t sue….

All the technology that’s out there today makes it easier to go out less prepared, I’ll just press the 911 button or make a call on my sat phone…I don’t need to carry survival gear or know how to use it.

That was one of the differences I noticed attending an avalanche course this past winter, 30 years ago you went out with what resources you could carry. And relied solely on yours and you companion’s ability to go in and get out alive. Less people did it has the S & R were not that effective then mostly because thet had no idea where you were.

Now everyone with a GPS, Spot or Sat phone thinks they have the ability to be out there....

This whole topic pisses me off our whole socity needs to take responsibilty for thier own actions....

Either way my heart goes out to the famlies that have lost people this last year, there were way to many.

94fordguy

Won't go anywhere....they were skiing OUT OF BOUNDS kicking horse will not be liable because of the boundary area, if they had an emergency beacon they would have been found.....just stirring the pot any law student could prove that the victims did not do everything "reasonably practicable" to promote thier own safety and made a "choice" to ski an out of bounds area without proper equipment and procaution.....Volunteers can not and will not be held liable

Very good Post... Out Of Bounds is out of bounds... there is absolutely no fighting that one:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Friggin' lawyers!!! Friggin' quebecers!! Friggin' criminal to be skiing out of bounds and not retracing your steps to get back into bounds!!! Friggin' insurance companies!!! Friggin' government and lack of support for volunteer groups!!!

Zrrr, will it stand a chance in court????

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Friggin' lawyers!!! Friggin' quebecers!! Friggin' criminal to be skiing out of bounds and not retracing your steps to get back into bounds!!! Friggin' insurance companies!!! Friggin' government and lack of support for volunteer groups!!!

Zrrr, will it stand a chance in court????

Friggin' Rick........hows it goin????????:d

Top Bottom