Ktm 450 exc Problems

bigskysledder

Reaction score
Website
www.sheldonzacharias.com
I am in Calgary, my son just bought a used 450 ktm exc with about 16 hours on it. We ride mostly in the mountains and we noticed total lack of low end right away. We chnaged the front sprocket to a 13 and the back to a 52, that helped abit , but it still seems sluggish, you can't even get the front wheel off the ground. Also it was over heating so we put the fan kit on it for cooling, now the battery always goes dead while riding. We put a new battery in and that didn't help. Also when you turn it off after riding for a while, it's almost impossible to start again, usually have to bump start it, real pain in the butt in swampy riding. The bike was brought in from the states...is there a bunch of emmision crap on this thing still. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I had a 525 exc and the thing was great. This bike seems to be a real pce of crap, what are we missing on this. Thanks

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not an xpert but no power and over heating could be the head gasket open the oil filler cap and if it has white mayoinase looking stuff on it its the head gasket.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's 08 or newer, it will have emissions stuff dragging it down. It runs lean, hot, and doesn't like to start. There's also an insert in the cap of the exhaust that you'll want to cut out for improved flow, that will get your low end fixed a bit. Don't just pop the end cap off and start cutting, check out KTMtalk.com where there is a whole step-by-step process for removing the emissions, cutting out the restrictor in the exhaust, and installing a JD Jetting kit that is also money well spent. You'll need the jetting kit after removing all the emissions crap.

I have an 08 530 and it livened right up after a little work.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first fan kits had a lower temp sensor that kicks the fan on to early which makes it run to often I would upgrade the stator to the trail tech set up which just plugs in If it is an 08 or newer there is a bunch of emissions crap pull off the exhaust end cap and cut off the small piece so the on the inside end of the cap I would join the ktmtalk forum lots of really good people on there that know this motor inside out

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you had the valves checked yet?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valves are worth a look but if it starts good I doubt it the valves the new xc4 motors do not seem to need valve adjustments very often if ever my 08 has over 3700 km and 95 % dirt 5 % street and 115 hours and I have never had to touch the valves yet with 13/52 gearing you hould be ble to pop the front end up no problem on demand with out the clutch

Top Bottom