Kodiak Puking Antifreeze

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
05 450 Kodiak. Started it the other day. White smoke and alot of anti-freeze coming out the exhaust pipe. Did some checking and it looks like a head gasket and maybe a warped head (Hope not). or maybe just loose head bolts. (Hope So). How big a job is it to change out the head gasket if needed, and will I need to get the valves reset?? :eek::eek:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head gasket can be done inframe. Remove fuel tank and cover to get at everything. Make sure you do not drop the timing chain after you remove the cam sprocket. Use a paint pen to mark the timing chain and sprocket.

I always take the time to at least lap the valves whenever the head is off, in which case the valve lash should be checked/set just before the head cover is put back on. I would also check the head and cylinder deck for warpage before re-assembling.

I doubt the head bolts just came loose. Even if they have come loose a new head gasket is required.

Head gaskets on these engines don't often just go out. Usually they slip only if they are severly overheaded or not torqued properly when they have been re-assembled for other repairs.

skor

Reaction score
05 450 Kodiak. Started it the other day. White smoke and alot of anti-freeze coming out the exhaust pipe. Did some checking and it looks like a head gasket and maybe a warped head (Hope not). or maybe just loose head bolts. (Hope So). How big a job is it to change out the head gasket if needed, and will I need to get the valves reset?? :eek::eek:
This exact problem happened to my 03, except that I'm new to this and was not able to troubleshoot. When you say "Did some checking and it looks like a head gasket" what exactly did you check? How did you know it was a head gasket?Thanks!

Top Bottom