King Quad does not like water

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was playing in some water with my 2008 King 750. I'm snorkelled, vented and the majority of my electrical connections are di electric greased and everything was going just fine for the first couple hrs but then the quad started running poorly. It continued to get worse for about 5 minutes until finally it got bad enough that the quad wouldn't run. I fired it up this morning and it does idle but it stumbles. When I give it about half throttle, it will rev up to about 3000rpm but still stumbles and when I give it full throttle the engine slows down and is followed by a very loud backfire. What is the problem? Please help guys.

Thanks

Scott

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did this while riding a Rancher 400AT. I'm not sure where your airbox is in your KQ but if its under the seat and not weather stripped it will leak water in slowly. Check the airbox for water.

The Rancher I was riding would sputter and would not idle with out the choke on. Once I drained the airbox and cleaned the filter, and ran the water out of the carb it ran like a champ.

If your tank was under water, check your fuel system and tank for water pockets, and check your airbox as well. Hope this helps. :beer:

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the airbox is dry. I shook the quad for a while and then syphoned some gas out to see if there was water in the gas. there is verry little. ( put gas in clear jar and let water settle to the bottom). also the exhaust is very very hot, kinda like its running lean. also there are a few chunks of crap in the bottom of the jar could a clogged fuel filter be the problem?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
next time buy a submarine instead of a quad,

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its fuel injected. gunna drain the fuel again see what happens

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have any dirt or water in your gas tank at all, I would say that is the reason for it running poorly.
Have you re-routed the vent line tube for the gas tank? Until I moved my vent tube I always had dirt,water or mud in my tank causing the filter to get dirty and run like crap.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the spark plug water leaks in between the porclien and the base of the plug and shorts it out

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the fuel filter, put in some fresh gas and some gas line antifreeze (this will get rid of any water in the lines)

After that, it will run like new.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input gunna do everything suggested and let ya know how it works out
And ya I ran my vent lines into my airbox

Sent from my pimpin iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
IMG_0779reduced.jpg

this is a photo of the gasoline taken from the King Quad in question

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like someone forgot to put a snorkle on the gas tank , oh your learnen. sell quad get sub.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say u got water ---fuel.... the gas sucks nowadays .... i use seafoam every tank now [ for both skidoo - quad ] it takes the water out of the fuel [ real good chit ]

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
the airbox is dry. I shook the quad for a while and then syphoned some gas out to see if there was water in the gas. there is verry little. ( put gas in clear jar and let water settle to the bottom). also the exhaust is very very hot, kinda like its running lean. also there are a few chunks of crap in the bottom of the jar could a clogged fuel filter be the problem?

VERY LITTLE??? There needs to be NONE...

You need to reroute your gas tank vent.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had this problem you need to reroute the gas tank vent, it is under the rear plastic on the left hand side. It will pick up water and dust. The one way filter could be plugged. I moved it up to the front where the air breather is and used a clear gas line filter, so you see if it gets any debris in it. The line lets in air so fuel will flow. My gas tank ended up with about 1/4" of dust in the bottom of the tank mixed with fuel makes mud. I had to clean out the injector also, good luck

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I did re-route the gas tank vent. The problem is that it is now tied into the lower side of the airbox and when I swamp the quad and the airbox fills with water, the head pressure from the full iarbox pushes water into my gasoline. I think i'm going to route gas vent to my pod.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know what the problem was. It wasn't the small amount of water in the tank. It was mud and fines that had collected on the fuel filter. I removed the gas tank (which is actually really easy. No need to completely remove back plastic and disconnect all the electrical.) and pulled the pump. I cleaned the fuel filter in a small container of gasoline and got all the crud off the filter by kneeding the filter and swishing gasoline around and through it. Put it back together and runs great.

The two main indicators that I was not getting enough fuel were:

1. Lots of backfiring
2. Extremely hot exhaust gas.

Thanks for the help guys!!:)

Top Bottom