Kakwa Dec 09

Canadian Country Cabins

Reaction score
Website
www.canadiancountrycabins.com
Hello,
lm going into Kakwa for a Recce on Dec 1st, heading in from the BC side. lf there is enough snow, and weather permiting im planning to go to Table Top and the Mountains on Sat 5.

Anyone wanting to tag along is welcome, it will be earlyish start meeting at the Walker creek parking lot 7-8am.

lts a long trip, you will need to bring extra gas.

l will post more details closer to the date.

Cheers.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea,I would be interested. You are on the other side of Mcbride I believe-How Far? Stay at your establishment Mon. night? How much extra gas? Bring skimmer? Overnight trip? Lets talk. Ken 780-865-4237. Hinton. Experienced Rider.

Canadian Country Cabins

Reaction score
Website
Hello Harry,

Thanks for the interest.

No its not nessecary to stay with me.

The more the merrier....within reason:) lm going to do a opening trip every year, as well as a few more!

lt is a really amazing place, local clubs put a HUGE amount of work in to keep it open, the more riders that are aware of it and the riding it has to offer the more support we will have to keep it open.

You will need to bring gas for approx 180 km of trail and whatever you need to burn in the mountains.

l will give you a call.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to stay somewhere, might as well be there. So 90k trail each way,plus riding gas once we arrive. Sounds like a full tank plus 4 -5gal jerrys at least. Overnight in Kakwa and back the next day? What did you have in mind?

Canadian Country Cabins

Reaction score
Website
"The cabins at the south end of Kakwa Lake are available for public use during the winter, but are also used by Park Rangers, who do periodic patrols year round. While on patrol they require the use of the headquarters cabin, so those choosing to stay there should also plan to have alternative accommodation"

ls the offical writeup, they are used on a 'First come First served 'basis.
You can come prepared and take a chance at overnighting it, obviously there no guarantees.

Reaction score
Only one of the Cabins at the lake is a public use cabin, the others are locked up for forrestry and parks. Dec 1st weekend should be pretty wide open for use tho. The only thing is there will be people in and out of the cabin during the day as it is the only warm up shack out there.

Canadian Country Cabins

Reaction score
Website
Only one of the Cabins at the lake is a public use cabin, the others are locked up for forrestry and parks. Dec 1st weekend should be pretty wide open for use tho. The only thing is there will be people in and out of the cabin during the day as it is the only warm up shack out there.

Thanks for that. Didnt they used to the have three open? How many does that one hold, 6 people?

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They built 2 new cabins.One is for public and the other for the foresty and it's locked.

Reaction score
When they built the 2 new ones, they tore out the old ones. Only one public use cabin there...I highly doubt they built another one this summer.

T-BO

Reaction score
Yep there is one public use cabin that could reasonably sleep around 8 people and it is strictly first come first serve. You cannot save or reserve sleeping reservations in any way. There used to be a cabin at Jarvis lake but it has since been closed to sledders.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One cabin only and if you get a bit cosy you could fit 10-12 if some sleep on the upper deck like we did. Locals keep the new cabin in perfect shape and would probably skin an abuser!Dam hot on the upper deck. Great drying rack for boots and clothes. We pulled in three skidders with 30 gallons each and 5-7 gallons on each sled also. Stayed for three days, one of our best trips ever. If you don't know the area get some one who does as this area dwarfs Renshaw!!!!!!! If you get lost you could be really lost. Drove in from Tin Town but have driven almost all the way from the BC side, as picturesc as it gets on a sunny day. Beware.... no riding glacier area above 6600'. Closed for the goats.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd hit you up on the next trip out, I could go out December 11/12th weekend. Have a course on the December 5th weekend. Looking forward to pictures/updates when you fellas go/comeback, cheers.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are there any trail maps availiable for this area? sound like a good trip.

Canadian Country Cabins

Reaction score
Website
Went in for a recce yesterday.
l didnt go in all the way to the park, there is about a foot or so of snow on the trail that has settled, at the time there had been a couple of trucks in before me, so if you drive in snowchains would be a smart move.

lf you have a trailer, the "driving" part of the trail is around 75km, unserviced, the snow will only get deeper, and turning a big trailer may be a problem the further in.

Theres not supposed to be much snow between now and the weekend, so you could either ride in or drive in.

Wait and see, i guess.

Started out sunny and then got cloudy.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 73
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 70