just what we need another ski hill

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no kidding, i laugh every time i see the comments of 750 full time jobs..... really? Pano has about 300 jobs total and about 100 are fulltime and most pay less than 50k a yr.
won't be many locals working up there, it would be a 2 hr commute each way.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny I thought all the people were against this? Corporation run Goverment . Goverment Tax people. People pay corporation? Stock Market tells me how fast we are destroying the world? ch!t wish I had a new slad.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
resort wages are piss poor, usually students or import workers, seems to me the only real benefit is to resort owners. I suppose there will be a flurry of work building it but after that mostly minimum wages, I dont see that there would be much benefit to surrounding areas since it is designed to be its own "municipality/business" seems odd to me.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skiing year round is mensioned.... where can one ski year round right now?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe you can ski on the glacier at Blackcomb mountain. But is it worth building another ski hill for the few that find it necessary to ski in July?

Skiing year round is mensioned.... where can one ski year round right now?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ski hills here are owned by aussies. guess who gets the work? the aussie imports.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does it matter to you guys? If you have valid reason, that's one thing. But all I see is the "skiers vs. sledders" whining going on. Someone fill me in if there is legitimate reason as to why they should not be allowed to build this resort...

As to eclipse, if you're wondering why I recommended your post I didn't mean to, no offense haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjb

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my issue is not skier vs sledders. It is simply more land taken away to build something we dont need and already have an abundance of here in BC all competing for the same dollar/Euro. Panarama just down the road is not exactly breaking record skier attendance records and for that matter most ski hills are working under capacity unless you are Whistler/Blackcomb and I believe they struggle as well. Both American and European economies are far from stellar these days so where are these skiers coming from?? China?

What does it matter to you guys? If you have valid reason, that's one thing. But all I see is the "skiers vs. sledders" whining going on. Someone fill me in if there is legitimate reason as to why they should not be allowed to build this resort...

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my issue is not skier vs sledders. It is simply more land taken away to build something we dont need and already have an abundance of here in BC all competing for the same dollar/Euro. Panarama just down the road is not exactly breaking record skier attendance records and for that matter most ski hills are working under capacity unless you are Whistler/Blackcomb and I believe they struggle as well. Both American and European economies are far from stellar these days so where are these skiers coming from?? China?

There are no Euro style hills in North America with lifts taking you up onto icefields surrounded by big peaks and such. There really is a big difference. It`s like riding a 800cc mountain sled instead of a short track bravo. I am not saying this proposal makes sense but i would love to see a real ski hill put in instead of all these bravos.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When's the last time you've seen an industry successfully backed by government?
None, because they make decisions based on lobbying and not sound business models and projections. I'd guess the cost of the infrastructure alone will take years to recoup and offset any potential benefit. It's the middle of nowhere. A make work project that BC taxpayers will be burdened with and have little chance to own a piece.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Panorama isn't busy cause it.......just isn't that good.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What really pisses me off is that the road building / maintenance (avalanche control) of the new "municipality" is total bs such that it is a private development but we "taxpayers" are going to be footing the bill. Its pretty hugely opposed in the Kootenays and theres not many times I agree with the enviro's but I just dont see the benefit to loosing such a piece of our land and wild life for some foreign investors.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What really pisses me off is that the road building / maintenance (avalanche control) of the new "municipality" is total bs such that it is a private development but we "taxpayers" are going to be footing the bill.

Yep, that part is total bullshite. That road is going to be slid over how many times? I was up at a glacier real close to Jumbo the other week, and we had to cross 3 slide paths. It's only November.

On that note, Jumbo is always open, you just need to work for it. Appointing a mayor is the least democratic thing ever as well. Thanks a bunch Bill Bennett.

Top Bottom